Pitch Bend on Audio Track?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
rgdaniel

11 Dec 2018

Here's a probably basic thing I should know how to do by now. I have a short-ish sample, kind of a pad thing (happens to be "BSQ_WASP R8.wav" from Bomb Squad sample pack on musicradar, but could be anything similar).

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/sa ... les-471045

Dragged the wav file in as an audio track, ready to go.

What I'm after is a typical slow rise from very low pitch to very high pitch, steaadily rising over the length of the clip (around 15 sec.)

Pitch bend on my controller by default has no effect on audio clips, I assume that's normal. I did get something like I was after by automating the shift knobs on a Polar device, sitting as an insert in the audio track. Kind of cool, but not exactly what I was thinking, looking for something with LESS character and more range, just a big long sweep up. I've done it with the pitch bend wheel on instrument tracks, but even then, the range is not full, just 2 octaves down and two up, at most.

Thinking there must be a general technique I could tuck into my tool belt for the future, but not quite finding it yet.... Suggestions?

guitfnky

11 Dec 2018

I’m not sure it’s something you can do within Reason without some kind of plugin (so you’re on the right track with what you tried in Polar). you might be able to do something similar by adding a Neptune and using the pitch wheel there.

this is one of the really cool things I miss from back when I used Digital Performer...you could easily draw this kind of pitch automation right into the sequencer (and even hand draw in the pitch you want the track to follow!).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

rgdaniel

11 Dec 2018

guitfnky wrote:
11 Dec 2018
I’m not sure it’s something you can do within Reason without some kind of plugin (so you’re on the right track with what you tried in Polar). you might be able to do something similar by adding a Neptune and using the pitch wheel there.
I just tried it with Neptune, automating the Pitch Bend wheel over 24 semitones, AND the Formant over its full range, and also a pretty cool effect, but not the full range. I guess I could bounce it out then run it back in to double the effect.

Thanks for the tip, forgot about Neptune!

rgdaniel

11 Dec 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
11 Dec 2018
I guess I could bounce it out then run it back in to double the effect.
Even easier, I just stacked three Neptunes in the same insert section, getting pretty close!

guitfnky

11 Dec 2018

👍🏼 glad to hear it seems like you’re on the way to getting what you want. messing around with crazy pitch effects is one of my favorite things. 😬
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

jam-s

11 Dec 2018

You could load the audio into a sampler and then use the pitch bend wheel.

rgdaniel

11 Dec 2018

jam-s wrote:
11 Dec 2018
You could load the audio into a sampler and then use the pitch bend wheel.
Perfect... nice clean rise... thanks... not sure how I'm going to use it, but time will tell...

• Information