People who know Reason well, but still don't get stuff done

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 228
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Lõvi-isa

Post 23 Nov 2018

If you are so called "an old fish" already in Reason, but you are still more like trying it out still, you might want to cahnge that to the "baked enough Reasoner" - Lets create some muzak NOW!
As if you are stuck to be a discoverer every time you open Reason, that may ruin the actual purpose of the program, i.e. making music with it. But... this doesn't mean, you should totally stop learning. Just learn stuff as you go, i.e. learning and making music at the same time.

For those who have just started out, it's pretty obvious, open Reason, and watch the Youtube videos, and try stuff out with a time.

This is it, I want to make shitloads of music now myself... :thumbs_up:

User avatar
rgdaniel
Posts: 143
Joined: 07 Sep 2017

Post 23 Nov 2018

Heigen5 wrote:
23 Nov 2018
...if you are stuck to be a discoverer every time you open Reason, that may ruin the actual purpose of the program, i.e. making music with it. .
I don't feel "stuck", I feel blessed (in a secular way). I have so much STUFF lying around in the Reason Browser that I've barely looked at, tons of money (for me) invested in refills and devices, that I will never run out of potential starting points. The "discovery" process IS "the actual purpose of the program" for me, and probably always will be.

That said, I tried installing Reaper the other day, just to have a play at "discovering" how that thing works, maybe play with rewire or something. Lasted about 10 minutes. Overwhelmed by tiny buttons and an unfamiliar interface. Uninstalled. Apparently I'm a Reason-for-life kinda guy... :puf_smile:

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 4224
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 23 Nov 2018

Somehow you catched me, but i am in now pressure. I do it for my creative brain and for relaxing. If i get a tune done, thats fine. If not, its ok too. If i just play around and got lost for 2-3h, why not?
If it would be my job and not a hobby and something to calm down, i would have more discipline to get the job done - thats for sure. And i dont have the attitude to be the next Justin Bieber.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 228
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Lõvi-isa

Post 23 Nov 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Heigen5 wrote:
23 Nov 2018
...if you are stuck to be a discoverer every time you open Reason, that may ruin the actual purpose of the program, i.e. making music with it. .
I don't feel "stuck", I feel blessed (in a secular way). I have so much STUFF lying around in the Reason Browser that I've barely looked at, tons of money (for me) invested in refills and devices, that I will never run out of potential starting points. The "discovery" process IS "the actual purpose of the program" for me, and probably always will be.

That said, I tried installing Reaper the other day, just to have a play at "discovering" how that thing works, maybe play with rewire or something. Lasted about 10 minutes. Overwhelmed by tiny buttons and an unfamiliar interface. Uninstalled. Apparently I'm a Reason-for-life kinda guy... :puf_smile:
To each their own. I think I want to make music that floats my current mindset.

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 228
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Lõvi-isa

Post 23 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Somehow you catched me, but i am in now pressure. I do it for my creative brain and for relaxing. If i get a tune done, thats fine. If not, its ok too. If i just play around and got lost for 2-3h, why not?
If it would be my job and not a hobby and something to calm down, i would have more discipline to get the job done - thats for sure. And i dont have the attitude to be the next Justin Bieber.
To each their own. The over-saturated hysteric world makes me feel busy, which reduces my abilities down. And if I want to success (part of me does want), then I need to put my coin into some kind of a goal. An album, not too planned, giving my best shot, and not having a deadline.

User avatar
Ahornberg
Posts: 1542
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post 23 Nov 2018

For more that a year I only record improvisations and cover them with several FX.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1184
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 23 Nov 2018

I used to want to get stuff done. Now I'm old and just enjoying things, small things, processes, rose smelling (can't wait to try Kratos2 on that Carolinae over yonder).
Works for me
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 228
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Lõvi-isa

Post 23 Nov 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
23 Nov 2018
For more that a year I only record improvisations and cover them with several FX.
Improvisation/Intuition do wonders when making music.
motuscott wrote:
23 Nov 2018
I used to want to get stuff done. Now I'm old and just enjoying things, small things, processes, rose smelling (can't wait to try Kratos2 on that Carolinae over yonder).
Works for me
How old are you then, I'm 38.
And yes, sniffing flowers is nice.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1184
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 23 Nov 2018

Mid sixties but I was once 38. And you're absolutely right to driving yourself.
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 228
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Lõvi-isa

Post 23 Nov 2018

motuscott wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Mid sixties but I was once 38. And you're absolutely right to driving yourself.
You are at an age of my father. Very cool that you are a Reason user! :thumbs_up: :o :cool:

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 228
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Lõvi-isa

Post 23 Nov 2018

Also, in a busy nowday's world - you might want to work on an EP lenghted album, an full-sized album, but also release singles at same time. I go for an EP + Singles for now.

Bes
Posts: 122
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 23 Nov 2018

thanks for the motivation

oooRjXooo
Posts: 1
Joined: 30 Nov 2018

Post 30 Nov 2018

motuscott wrote:
23 Nov 2018
I used to want to get stuff done. Now I'm old and just enjoying things, small things, processes, rose smelling (can't wait to try Kratos2 on that Carolinae over yonder).
Works for me

I enjoy making weird noises with all the synths. I started in Reason 3 and just picked up 10 after a long hiatus. Excited to get back into it. :reason:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests