Need Help Mixing

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Mr_Cru2

31 Oct 2018

I'm coming back into Reason after being on Logic for about 4 years. My mixes SUCKED back then, they have gotten better, but I still feel like:

1) The lack spacial construction, I do not believe I am using the Stereo Imager in a way that is helping my mix.

2) My EQ moves are either too much and they are giving me unnaturally bad sounds or they are not enough so I end up with a crowded sounding mix.

3) Not using Reverb properly

4) Struggling with which compressor to use. I lean towards the SSL built in the channel strip, but I don't like that it lacks an input or an output, but even with using the MClass, it still feels like I'm not getting a "real" sounding track by the end.

I'm sure this is a lot to ask, but I'm begging someone to just take a look at my session, mix it using only the stock plugins (so that I can also still open it) and just give me some notes on What You Did vs. What I Did.

I'll keep the original copy of the session so I can AB it later, but if anyone is willing to help me out, it would be much much much appreciated!

At this point in my mix I have gain staged, EQ'd, panned, used compression and added send/insert effects. My next steps would've been to do some master bus compression but I can't get past how bad the eq sounds to me.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Mr_Cru2 on 31 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
31 Oct 2018
I'm coming back into Reason after being on Logic for about 4 years. My mixes SUCKED back then, they have gotten better, but I still feel like:

1) The lack spacial construction, I do not believe I am using the Stereo Imager in a way that is helping my mix.

2) My EQ moves are either too much and they are giving me unnaturally bad sounds or they are not enough so I end up with a crowded sounding mix.

4) Struggling with which compressor to use. I lean towards the SSL built in the channel strip, but I don't like that it lacks an input or an output, but even with using the MClass, it still feels like I'm not getting a "real" sounding track by the end.

I'm sure this is a lot to ask, but I'm begging someone to just take a look at my session, mix it using only the stock plugins (so that I can also still open it) and just give me some notes on What You Did vs. What I Did.

I'll keep the original copy of the session so I can AB it later, but if anyone is willing to help me out, it would be much much much appreciated!

At this point in my mix I have gain staged, EQ'd, panned, used compression and added send/insert effects. My next steps would've been to do some master bus compression but I can't get past how bad the eq sounds to me.

Your link says

Mr_Cru2

31 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
Mr_Cru2 wrote:
31 Oct 2018

Your link says

Try it again. I'm still getting used to Google Drive, was more familiar with Dropbox but I'm out of space on there

Loque

31 Oct 2018

Some basic things to consider that might help to improve the mix :
* leave room in the Frequency spectrum for each instrument
* create a room. Reduce the stereo width to make a sound localizable and pan it in a direction. Same for fx.
* take your time for the bass frequencies. Mono them. EQ carefully, use multiband compression
* if you EQ, also LPF and HPF
* use HPF and LPF
* create useful busses, compress and limit them. A frequency spectrum is good for a bus
* dont use reverb, delay, chorus, phasers and stuff like that all over the place. They create mudd if overused
* don't use stereo imager all over the place. If everything is wide, it becomes not wide. Rather use panning
* you can try mid/side EQ and compression
* create your sounds differently. Secret: use a oscilator on each side with a slight offset in phase or use slightly different settings for tuning,... and modulation. Depending on the type you want to create like fat bass or wide synth
* don't push your maximizer too hard in the master. If you need to EQ too much in the master, think of your mixing balance
* always think: what does my sound need? Don't add EQ and compressor just because you have them
* if you can hear a difference with EQ, compressor and other fx, remove it

Good luck and have fun.
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
31 Oct 2018
Here is an audio example

Edit: (Update)

Let me know if that's similar to the direction you were going for. It still needs a lot of work and tweaking but my brain is done for tonight.

I can send you the project file by PM and also explain everything I did if you are interested. If not, it's was fun anyway :D
Last edited by aeox on 01 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2018

I think it would be cool to get more people involved and get other mixes, because mine isn't that great

Mr_Cru2

01 Nov 2018

aeox wrote:I think it would be cool to get more people involved and get other mixes, because mine isn't that great
Sorry, I took a listen this morning on my way to work and just now went on break.

Yes man, that's not really the direction I was shooting for. The mix sounds painfully bright, which took me weeks to overcome when I was trying to improve my mixes. I do like the distortion effect on that.vox loop tho, I might run with that because that loop already has a snare in it and I wish I had a way to lessen it without affecting the rest of that vocal. I was doing some more reading/research and I think I've got something else I'm gonna try out when I get back on tonight.

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
01 Nov 2018
aeox wrote:I think it would be cool to get more people involved and get other mixes, because mine isn't that great
Sorry, I took a listen this morning on my way to work and just now went on break.

Yes man, that's not really the direction I was shooting for. The mix sounds painfully bright, which took me weeks to overcome when I was trying to improve my mixes. I do like the distortion effect on that.vox loop tho, I might run with that because that loop already has a snare in it and I wish I had a way to lessen it without affecting the rest of that vocal. I was doing some more reading/research and I think I've got something else I'm gonna try out when I get back on tonight.

Good luck on your journey :)

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
01 Nov 2018
I do like the distortion effect on that.vox loop tho
Oh? I didn't add any distortion to it :P It just sounds like that (sounds really low quality, like it was stretched or something)

selig
RE Developer

01 Nov 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
01 Nov 2018
The mix sounds painfully bright,
Wow, it's not bright at all to my ears, in fact it's pretty bass heavy (which I happen to like, but I tend to like darker mixes myself) - what are you listening to as a reference mix for this track, meaning what song sounds like you want this mix to sound like?
Selig Audio, LLC

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2018

I've updated my original file with what I will call the "dull mix" for now.

Could you provide a reference track? I think that will allow me to have a better vision of what you want your mix to sound like. I do have another version which is brighter, but will refrain from posting until I have more of a clue of what you are aiming for.

PhillipOrdonez

01 Nov 2018

I might try to mix it tomorrow! From a first and quick listen, it isn't a bad mix per se, just needs some tweaking and balancing; it's Christmas in my meters with all those peaks over 0dbfs ;)

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2018

Brilliant, ... might give it a shot myself.

Maybe this can be the next forum challenge ;)

Mr_Cru2

01 Nov 2018

aeox wrote:
Mr_Cru2 wrote:
01 Nov 2018
I do like the distortion effect on that.vox loop tho
Oh? I didn't add any distortion to it [emoji14] It just sounds like that (sounds really low quality, like it was stretched or something)
It probably was, it came in a sample kit I purchased some years ago

Mr_Cru2

01 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
Mr_Cru2 wrote:
01 Nov 2018
The mix sounds painfully bright,
Wow, it's not bright at all to my ears, in fact it's pretty bass heavy (which I happen to like, but I tend to like darker mixes myself) - what are you listening to as a reference mix for this track, meaning what song sounds like you want this mix to sound like?
I hadn't done a reference track try, but probably Black and Yellow by Wiz Khalifa is what I would compare it to

Mr_Cru2

01 Nov 2018

PhillipOrdonez wrote:I might try to mix it tomorrow! From a first and quick listen, it isn't a bad mix per se, just needs some tweaking and balancing; it's Christmas in my meters with all those peaks over 0dbfs ;)
Don't gas me up dude, I seriously be feeling like my mixes are nowhere near the tutorial videos I have spent countless hours watching. And as far the the Christmas lights, which type of meter should I be using? The VU or the Peak?

Mr_Cru2

01 Nov 2018

avasopht wrote:Brilliant, ... might give it a shot myself.

Maybe this can be the next forum challenge ;)
Please do bro, and what is this forum Challenge u speak of?

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2018

Some other tweaks

EDIT: Oops wrong link.. BRB

Here:
Last edited by aeox on 01 Nov 2018, edited 2 times in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2018

Oh and sorry about the clap I added.. it sounded right to me but of course that's overstepping a little bit. (I listened to Black and yellow and couldn't get the clap out of my head)

Mr_Cru2

01 Nov 2018

Ok, i listened back on my studio headphones and YES!!! it does sound a lot better, I agree with @sileg that is it a little bass heavy, i'd probably cut that back just a tad bit and not have the sub jump pitch as often as u do, but that is more of a preferential thing. So yes, plz DM me the file. I do need to figure something else with that vox loop cause the more I hear it, the more it stands out, but not in a good way

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
01 Nov 2018
Ok, i listened back on my studio headphones and YES!!! it does sound a lot better, I agree with @sileg that is it a little bass heavy, i'd probably cut that back just a tad bit and not have the sub jump pitch as often as u do, but that is more of a preferential thing. So yes, plz DM me the file. I do need to figure something else with that vox loop cause the more I hear it, the more it stands out, but not in a good way
PM sent

PhillipOrdonez

02 Nov 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
01 Nov 2018
PhillipOrdonez wrote:I might try to mix it tomorrow! From a first and quick listen, it isn't a bad mix per se, just needs some tweaking and balancing; it's Christmas in my meters with all those peaks over 0dbfs ;)
Don't gas me up dude, I seriously be feeling like my mixes are nowhere near the tutorial videos I have spent countless hours watching. And as far the the Christmas lights, which type of meter should I be using? The VU or the Peak?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4aud9v2eqmg4 ... 2.zip?dl=0

Sent two mixes, one using only stock plus one instance of that free rack extension from Softube (mix 1) and another one that builds on that with external tools, because making a mix that sounds dense like an actual record is, as far as I know, not possible with transparent tools, such as those found on stock devices. A few things can help like the SSL bus and that saturation unit I did use, but they are only part of it, not the only thing you need.

I noticed you mentioned something regarding the vocal loop. The problem I have with it is the snare.

PhillipOrdonez

02 Nov 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
01 Nov 2018

About the metering: What do you mean? In simple terms: Peak and VU meters serve a very different purpose. Peak is important to make sure it does not go beyond 0dbfs, because if you do go over, it will clip. They are fast and only measure the highest peak of a signal. The VU meter acts slower, and doesn't care about peaks, so it is useful as a reference for measuring loudness, though there are far better meters for that nowadays.

selig
RE Developer

02 Nov 2018

OK, for fun and because you mentioned trouble when adding EQ, here's a mix with no SSL EQ/filtering added, with the exception of ONE Selig ColoringEQ for low/high saturation on the drum bus. Everything else is addressed at the source of the instrument, and by adding some compression at the channel level on a few things, plus some mix bus compression, and Ozone elements on the master to test final levels.

I also found one vocal sample that didn't have the snare, so used that in place of the one with the snare (sounds better). And I didn't fix anything like the odd 808 note at the end etc., since I'm not trying to show you a mix, but more an approach to mixing.

This is where I'd start to EQ things in my process, after first working the mix from the sources as much as possible, and adding a few devices like Pulveriser etc.along the way to fix the obvious problems (if any). THEN, I'd start to address issues with EQ, and things would only get better from there. My thinking has always been the better you build your tracks, the better the mix, the better the mix, the better the master. I try to do the most work early on, working on the ideas, the basic tracks, the arrangement first, which makes everything that follows easier and easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu3ihvbiasvhn ... r.wav?dl=0
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

02 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
02 Nov 2018
OK, for fun and because you mentioned trouble when adding EQ, here's a mix with no SSL EQ/filtering added, with the exception of ONE Selig ColoringEQ for low/high saturation on the drum bus. Everything else is addressed at the source of the instrument, and by adding some compression at the channel level on a few things, plus some mix bus compression, and Ozone elements on the master to test final levels.

I also found one vocal sample that didn't have the snare, so used that in place of the one with the snare (sounds better). And I didn't fix anything like the odd 808 note at the end etc., since I'm not trying to show you a mix, but more an approach to mixing.

This is where I'd start to EQ things in my process, after first working the mix from the sources as much as possible, and adding a few devices like Pulveriser etc.along the way to fix the obvious problems (if any). THEN, I'd start to address issues with EQ, and things would only get better from there. My thinking has always been the better you build your tracks, the better the mix, the better the mix, the better the master. I try to do the most work early on, working on the ideas, the basic tracks, the arrangement first, which makes everything that follows easier and easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu3ihvbiasvhn ... r.wav?dl=0
Nice punchy drums and clear elements. Good call on removing so much reverb on the original as well.

• Information