Monetising Music 101

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Aggie

30 Oct 2018

Hey everyone,

I'm not a frequent poster but I have noticed that there are many, many more music makers out there, than there ever was. I created the attached graphic as a "101" for monetising homegrown music. I hope at least someone will find it helpful or useful! :)
Money_In_Music.png
Money_In_Music.png (434.43 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Adam
Last edited by Aggie on 30 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Raaphorst

30 Oct 2018

32 bit version upload Bandcamp? That's not possible. 24 bit is maximum: https://get.bandcamp.help/hc/en-us/arti ... it-tracks-

Aggie

30 Oct 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
30 Oct 2018
32 bit version upload Bandcamp? That's not possible. 24 bit is maximum: https://get.bandcamp.help/hc/en-us/arti ... it-tracks-
My apologies - I have edited the graphic and re-uploaded it.

Thanks!
Adam Gill | BandLab

Adabler
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2018

I pay to make music, so I guess this chart doesn't really apply to me, but is the usage of samples really such a no no? Assuming no copyright is infringed?
:reason: 12, Win10

Marco Raaphorst

30 Oct 2018

Aggie wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
30 Oct 2018

Thanks!
and 16 bit is no lo-fi. that's a perfect export format. CD norm.

Aggie

30 Oct 2018

Adabler wrote:
30 Oct 2018
I pay to make music, so I guess this chart doesn't really apply to me, but is the usage of samples really such a no no? Assuming no copyright is infringed?
I have found that many commercial uses (licensing, etc.) require full originality. It's simplicity over substance - if a client likes what they hear, they'll want to purchase/license without constraints. Introducing samples in the mix can complicate what would otherwise be a clear path. My advice then, is to not sample, where possible.Jjust my thoughts, fwiw.
Adam Gill | BandLab

Aggie

30 Oct 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Aggie wrote:
30 Oct 2018

Thanks!
OK - I grant that 16-bit still has a quality range but the depth and resonance and other artifacts which may be introduced means it is not as high quality as <24-bit>. It depends on a lot of factors - including the quality of the original composition and the eventual output method (speakers, headphones, ear buds, etc.). My intent here is to say " soundcloud doesn't need your highest quality for streaming" - whereas you want to try to put your best out there when you are offering the potential of FLAC/WAV downloads. You're also right that it doesn't matter so much at MP3 or CD quality - but it's the fact that you won't know your audience and you may not be in charge of the file format or bit rate, really.
Adam Gill | BandLab

dioxide

30 Oct 2018

You forgot Allihoopa:

1. Create a unique piece of music (no samples!)
2. Upload to Allihoopa.
3. Allow an established artist signed to major label to use your music for free and without giving credit.
4. Get legal representation and try to sue them, despite having signed away all your rights.
5. Weep.

Aggie

30 Oct 2018

dioxide wrote:
30 Oct 2018
You forgot Allihoopa:

2. Upload to Allihoopa.
3. Allow an established artist signed to major label to use your music for free and without giving credit.
4. Get legal representation and try to sue them, despite having signed away all your rights.
5. Weep.
True dat. I had a long conversation over there once - the upshot from the higher-ups was: "Look - Allihoopa isn't for professional artists - it's just a bit of fun!".

Just remember that!
Adam Gill | BandLab

Marco Raaphorst

30 Oct 2018

Aggie wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
30 Oct 2018

OK - I grant that 16-bit still has a quality range but the depth and resonance and other artifacts which may be introduced means it is not as high quality as <24-bit>. It depends on a lot of factors - including the quality of the original composition and the eventual output method (speakers, headphones, ear buds, etc.). My intent here is to say " soundcloud doesn't need your highest quality for streaming" - whereas you want to try to put your best out there when you are offering the potential of FLAC/WAV downloads. You're also right that it doesn't matter so much at MP3 or CD quality - but it's the fact that you won't know your audience and you may not be in charge of the file format or bit rate, really.
this is not true. what 24 only has to offer is a higher dynamic range (which no one will ever use in an exported file, so 24 as export format is simply always overkill, only as a super dynamic sample format it might make a little sense), nothing else.

Aggie

30 Oct 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Aggie wrote:
30 Oct 2018

this is not true. what 24 only has to offer is a higher dynamic range (which no one will ever use in an exported file, so 24 as export format is simply always overkill, only as a super dynamic sample format it might make a little sense), nothing else.
I'm erring on the side of quality, for the sake of it. I accept your comments - and I agree. But if you do "play" in those higher dynamic ranges - what's the harm in advising to use it? A larger file size?
Adam Gill | BandLab

Marco Raaphorst

30 Oct 2018

Aggie wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
30 Oct 2018

I'm erring on the side of quality, for the sake of it. I accept your comments - and I agree. But if you do "play" in those higher dynamic ranges - what's the harm in advising to use it? A larger file size?
Yes larger file size is the issue.

MannequinRaces

01 Nov 2018

dioxide wrote:
30 Oct 2018
You forgot Allihoopa:

2. Upload to Allihoopa.
5. Weep.
They have updated their Terms of Service so it's not as bad as it used to be: https://allihoopa.com/tos

Aggie

02 Nov 2018

Extract:

iii. Users are NOT allowed to make money from the sale, license or other exploitation of any Content on the Service, including original Content that user has contributed unless the user is exploiting ONLY that Content that the user owns in its entirety.
Adam Gill | BandLab

O1B

02 Nov 2018

Quite right. Headroom.

A lot of "LESS is MORE" going on around on resontalk - to the detriment of audio quality.
24Bit is easlily discernable.
32 bit is the rate of all my future equipment (sans Moog ONE) - no compromises.

16 bit is soft and squishy in comparison.
1992 recordings can not compare to what is possible with 24 and 32 bit, if you can hear.

Aggie wrote:
30 Oct 2018

• Information