Quantized Samples sounding bad

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Mr_Cru2

28 Oct 2018

I've sampled parts of other songs a handful of times, but every time I've done it I notice a degradation of quality in the sound file. I start by quantizing the part that I want to chop (typically somewhere very close to the original BPM). Whether I leave it as an audio file or import the sample into an NNXT, I usually end up with an airy/hollow and narrow sounding sample in the end.

I often either import an MP3 or a wave, or I play the song via Spotify and use Soundflower.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Here is a copy of the file i was working on

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqmxfwnlxz1r2 ... eason?dl=0

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Mr_Cru2 on 28 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

RandomSkratch

28 Oct 2018

Simply chopping a sample up shouldn't alter the quality of the sample unless there's some processing happening somewhere.

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
28 Oct 2018

I can provide the reason file later when I get home, but has anyone else experienced something like this?

Please do, I have a suspicion but could be wrong

Mr_Cru2

28 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
Mr_Cru2 wrote:
28 Oct 2018

I can provide the reason file later when I get home, but has anyone else experienced something like this?

Coming right up

RandomSkratch

28 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
Mr_Cru2 wrote:
28 Oct 2018

Wrong warp mode enabled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_Cru2

28 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
28 Oct 2018
Mr_Cru2 wrote:
28 Oct 2018

Go check the original post. I included the link

Mr_Cru2

28 Oct 2018

RandomSkratch wrote:
28 Oct 2018
aeox wrote:
Wrong warp mode enabled?

I haven't touched that yet, i figured i wouldn't need to...but Im guessing im wrong there. I know Logic has different settings like polyphonic or rhythm, i don't think i've noticed that setting in Reason yet.

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
28 Oct 2018
aeox wrote:
Coming right up

I keep forgetting that I can't open Reason 10 files.. I'm using 9 still :P

RandomSkratch

28 Oct 2018

Right clicking on the audio in timeline will allow you to change modes. Also I think some devices have the filter enabled by default.

Mr_Cru2

28 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
Mr_Cru2 wrote:
28 Oct 2018
Coming right up

I keep forgetting that I can't open Reason 10 files.. I'm using 9 still :P
Bummer [emoji2341]

RandomSkratch

28 Oct 2018

I have 10 and can check later if still required.

pushedbutton

28 Oct 2018

If you're processing a lot of audio and noticing it immediately it may be that you're hearing a lower resolution version while the sound is processed in the background.
Try giving it a minute.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Mr_Cru2

28 Oct 2018

RandomSkratch wrote:I have 10 and can check later if still required.

Please! Much appreciated

RandomSkratch

28 Oct 2018

Not sure if I was looking at the right places but it sounds like you've transposed the sample quite a bit even though tempo doesn't change much. This can have an effect on the quality as well. Also, I saw a few channel inserts that were stripping low end (Pulverizer for one). Maybe you had something like this on your initial channels/buss when bouncing samples?
It's kind of hard to tell where the degradation is happening without seeing workflow.

Mr_Cru2

28 Oct 2018

RandomSkratch wrote:Not sure if I was looking at the right places but it sounds like you've transposed the sample quite a bit even though tempo doesn't change much. This can have an effect on the quality as well. Also, I saw a few channel inserts that were stripping low end (Pulverizer for one). Maybe you had something like this on your initial channels/buss when bouncing samples?
It's kind of hard to tell where the degradation is happening without seeing workflow.
But u do agree that it doesn't sound right?

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:
28 Oct 2018
RandomSkratch wrote:Not sure if I was looking at the right places but it sounds like you've transposed the sample quite a bit even though tempo doesn't change much. This can have an effect on the quality as well. Also, I saw a few channel inserts that were stripping low end (Pulverizer for one). Maybe you had something like this on your initial channels/buss when bouncing samples?

Could I hear an audio file? I'm really curious :P

RandomSkratch

29 Oct 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:

I'm not sure actually. Like I said when you pitch stuff up as much as it sounds like you did I'm not surprised it starts lacking certain frequencies. I need to hear the original and then each step of your process.

Mr_Cru2

31 Oct 2018

RandomSkratch wrote:
Mr_Cru2 wrote:But u do agree that it doesn't sound right?

I'm not sure actually. Like I said when you pitch stuff up as much as it sounds like you did I'm not surprised it starts lacking certain frequencies. I need to hear the original and then each step of your process.
Gotcha, so then next time I sample something, I'll chop the sample up and then drop them in the NNXT and transpose it up there. I imagine that might be a better way to preserve the quality.

RandomSkratch

31 Oct 2018

Mr_Cru2 wrote:Gotcha, so then next time I sample something, I'll chop the sample up and then drop them in the NNXT and transpose it up there. I imagine that might be a better way to preserve the quality.

Next time keep the original sample intact somewhere (unused samples maybe). That way there's a reference in case someone else needs to check.

How were you transposing the sample before?

Mr_Cru2

31 Oct 2018

RandomSkratch wrote:
Mr_Cru2 wrote:Gotcha, so then next time I sample something, I'll chop the sample up and then drop them in the NNXT and transpose it up there. I imagine that might be a better way to preserve the quality.

Next time keep the original sample intact somewhere (unused samples maybe). That way there's a reference in case someone else needs to check.

How were you transposing the sample before?
Just in the using the Tool Window. I did it that way because I feared that speeding up the sample via the NNXT would speed up my BPM and the tempo was close to perfect with the original so I tried to preserve it

• Information