Do I put the Youlean-Loudness-Meter in front of every channel?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Punchinello

22 Oct 2018

Hi all! :)

Do I put the Youlean-Loudness-Meter in front of every channel? Or just in front of the whole song?

Sorry for this stupid question but I am still trying to use it properly. And I have not found a good tutorial yet on Youtube, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Cheers! Chris
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." - Lisa Gerrard

Djstarski

23 Oct 2018

You would put it on the song

moggadeet

23 Oct 2018

Instead of measuring the loudness of each track, what I have seen is people using a limiter on some tracks to control the loudness of each track. This serves as a reference to start mixing. For instance Jelie sets a limiter on the kick and turns it to -5dB and starts mixing from them.

On a similar technique, others use a loudness meter on a kick + bass channel, set the kick to -6dB and adds the bass so that it totals -3dB. This should balance the signals of kick and bass.

For for none of these techniques you need such a plugin like the one you mean.

RandomSkratch

23 Oct 2018

Just put it on your master buss and use channel solos to check individual ones.

PhillipOrdonez

23 Oct 2018

You want to set it on the master channel. If you are interested in measuringa single channel you can set it on that as well, is a matter of seeing, measuring, deleting.

Also, depending on the material you are working on, you want to set the auto button on or off. Because that will either restart whenever you stop and play, or ignore that.
For example when i work with podcast editing, I set it to auto, so that by the time I'm done editing, I know the integrated loudness, even though I consistently start and stop the audio throughout. Then I set the auto off and restart the panels before exporting, so it analyses the entire rendered program, and at the end of the render I can see the exact loudness measurements.

Ahornberg

23 Oct 2018

For me, a loudness meter only makes sense on the whole song.
Maybe take a look here http://dynamicrangeday.co.uk/about/

Punchinello

23 Oct 2018

Thanks, everyone! :) Now I have something to dive into.
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." - Lisa Gerrard

• Information