Bipolar Hybrid Knob Functioning (CV catastrophe)

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC

15 Oct 2018

Gladly, I have some REs (bipolar/unipolar cv generator, basic cv math) that make things a bit easier, but:

I wanted a knob to work like so:

Center position is zero. If turned to the left then count from 0% (center) to 100% (Left). If turned to the right then likewise count from 0% (center) to 100% (right). At the same time, it also creates -100% to 0 (Left) and 0 to +100% (Right).

I solved this by using a bipolar CV generator knob. I took the signal, added a static 100% signal to it. This way, when turned to the right, you get a 200% overload. Center position is 100%. When to the left, you get 0%. I used another RE that summed the signal, resulting nothing above 100%, so when it went above otherwise, now it just got stuck at 100%. Now, the signal is 100% in center, and even stuck at 100% when turned to the right; ~ meanwhile if turned to the left from center, it starts decreasing to 0%. Then, I add a static -100% signal. At center, this way we are at zero (still stuck when turned to the right). When turned to the left, it goes down to -100% ~ which just needs inversion, and then it does the 0-100% range.

Gotta do the same for the other side, and then I will have the properly acting cv signals for a knob (somewhere high above) that can do 100% (L) ~ 0% (C) ~ 100% (R).

If there's anyone that can follow what the f.. what ~fascinating~ thing I'm talking about, and knows there's a simpler way, then I'm all ears!
I can't believe that this is this complicated. ...and that it wouldn't be possible to make with Reason's devices.

I'd probably be able to code this procedure more easily with my basic programming knowledge...
Last edited by RobC on 16 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

kungubu

15 Oct 2018

Use Thor. Adress a rotary 2 times 100 to cvout in the mod matrix and a button one time -100 to the same cvout.

Or just take a rotary from thor (or CV8x4 or any other rotary that give you 0-100) and connect it to CVA7 (free RE) and take the cv out as bipolar.

Both ways works just fine.

Loque

15 Oct 2018

CVA-7 has 4 outputs, that can be configured for unipolar, bipolar, inverted and normal. Use any generator like Lolth, Miranda, Thor, CV8X4,...
Reason12, Win10

RobC

16 Oct 2018

kungubu wrote:
15 Oct 2018
Use Thor. Adress a rotary 2 times 100 to cvout in the mod matrix and a button one time -100 to the same cvout.

Or just take a rotary from thor (or CV8x4 or any other rotary that give you 0-100) and connect it to CVA7 (free RE) and take the cv out as bipolar.

True, I guess there's no easy way out. That's only one part, though. Maybe I should re-title, adding the word "hybrid". Because as I said, I also needed the bipolar knob to create a positive 0-100% signal whether turned to the left, or the right.

That could tops be easier with duplicating the bipolar signal, and converting it to absolute value. Sadly, I have no such RE, so it got complicated.

RobC

16 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
15 Oct 2018
CVA-7 has 4 outputs, that can be configured for unipolar, bipolar, inverted and normal. Use any generator like Lolth, Miranda, Thor, CV8X4,...
Indeed, though there's more to what I need. Just added extra info in the previous reply.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2018

You can convert to absolute value using Thor’s shaper in rectify mode. You’ll need to route your CV signal in the mod matrix to Filter 1 Input and send some midi or sequencer to hold the gate open.

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2018

RobC wrote:
16 Oct 2018
kungubu wrote:
15 Oct 2018

True, I guess there's no easy way out. That's only one part, though. Maybe I should re-title, adding the word "hybrid". Because as I said, I also needed the bipolar knob to create a positive 0-100% signal whether turned to the left, or the right.

That could tops be easier with duplicating the bipolar signal, and converting it to absolute value. Sadly, I have no such RE, so it got complicated.
Dude, it's so simple, don't overcomplicate it. You need to rectify the signal, simples (as Timmy already mentioned).

Here, I'll make it simpler. Here's what it looks like using Thor. I even created a button so you can switch between the two behaviors you want. OR, you could switch the second line to output via CV2 so you could have the two behaviors simultaneously (since I don't know exactly how you want to use this functionality). Note: you have to run the step sequencer (see attached file) to make this work since it uses the "voice" section of Thor.
Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 7.48.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 7.48.31 AM.png (79.51 KiB) Viewed 684 times
With this setup, you plug your bi-polar knob into CV1 IN on Thor, and use the CV1 OUT for the modified output.

Here's the Thor file if you're short on time:
CV Rectify.thor.zip
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

18 Oct 2018

Timmy Crowne wrote:
18 Oct 2018
You can convert to absolute value using Thor’s shaper in rectify mode. You’ll need to route your CV signal in the mod matrix to Filter 1 Input and send some midi or sequencer to hold the gate open.
I had no clue about that ~ not even the manual says that info. xD Thank you!

I tried keeping the gate open with Thor's button, but when Reason's sequencer is stopped, it stops, too. Problematic with Thor's sequencer as well.

RobC

18 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
18 Oct 2018
RobC wrote:
16 Oct 2018

Dude, it's so simple, don't overcomplicate it. You need to rectify the signal, simples (as Timmy already mentioned).

Here, I'll make it simpler. Here's what it looks like using Thor. I even created a button so you can switch between the two behaviors you want. OR, you could switch the second line to output via CV2 so you could have the two behaviors simultaneously (since I don't know exactly how you want to use this functionality). Note: you have to run the step sequencer (see attached file) to make this work since it uses the "voice" section of Thor.

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 7.48.31 AM.png

With this setup, you plug your bi-polar knob into CV1 IN on Thor, and use the CV1 OUT for the modified output.

Here's the Thor file if you're short on time:
CV Rectify.thor.zip
Sure it would have been simple, if I knew the ABS val. conversion trick, haha.
Thank you, I tried it. Only problem is, that at stopping, it stops its sequencer, too, but that's not a big deal.

RobC

19 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
18 Oct 2018

I don't know exactly how you want to use this functionality.
I'm sketching out a "3D" effect processor, where for example the Z position (distance), has both the distance amount, as well as either frontal, or rear position. Last year, when I made it, I had a distance knob, and a front-back button. Wasn't very convenient.

I scrapped last year's project (sadly), cause back then I lacked some tools to overcome some artifacts.

• Information