How to find the proper loudness of each track?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Punchinello

09 Oct 2018

Hi! :)

How do I find the proper loudness of each track?

Are there some guidelines or do I "just" take a properly mastered similar track, and then try to match it?

I am just not good at mixing.

Maybe there is a book about it?

Thanks! Chris
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." - Lisa Gerrard

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2018

Loudness of each individual mix channel? I'm not sure why you would want that, but there are RE's to check loudness. I use it on the master buss but don't really know how it's suppose to be used.

Just search "Loudness" in the prop shop, there are 3 to choose from IIRC.

Selig has a sticky post on common mixing mistakes here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7277840

This video might help you:

I never worry about using loudness meter until I'm finished and just am curious how "loud" my track is and I might back off on compression to let it breath a bit more.

Punchinello

09 Oct 2018

Thank you! :)
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." - Lisa Gerrard

Jmax

09 Oct 2018

It's a little hard to figure out, because it's all relative. How loud is loud enough for you?

My trick these days is to slap a FETpressor on the master and the Ozone 8 Maximizer to finish. This will get your sound pumping nice. The rest is just EQing.

Download some similar tracks in the Genre and compare how loud everything is. Match yours to that.

Don't push to the point your sounds seems unnatural. There is a fine line I believe, find it.

PhillipOrdonez

10 Oct 2018

If all your want is to be aware of perceived loudness, there are some great free loudness meters available in vst form.
My favourite being the youlean loudness meter.

But you shouldn't really worry about loudness whilst mixing, only about balance, character and not clipping.

motuscott

10 Oct 2018

This Selig video has his approach nicely summed up,
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Punchinello

15 Oct 2018

Thanks! it was all really helpful!

• Information