Bass Line For a Rave Stab

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

25 Sep 2018

Hi Everyone!

I have a quandary for you all....

I was using a Rave stab last night in a track, came up with a good melody and then I couldn't find a bass note that would fit the key of it. Not one note. It seemed to not have a root note. Strange.

I know you can't hear the stab but I was wondering if anyone could have a 'stab in the dark' (see what I did there? :-)) as to what could be happening?

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Loque

25 Sep 2018

You leave enough room (plenty) for a lot of speculation, what the issue might be...

I start with: The stab was out of tune, attack-pitched, chord(ed), all over the frequency spectrum or the melody was just too complicated.
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

25 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
25 Sep 2018
You leave enough room (plenty) for a lot of speculation, what the issue might be...

I start with: The stab was out of tune, attack-pitched, chord(ed), all over the frequency spectrum or the melody was just too complicated.
Yeah had another listen to it earlier and it's still baffling me. It (dunno if I'd call it a chord but I suppose it is) definitely is more than 1 note going on. The melody definitely wasn't complex. I will post an example of what I have so far on here later.

What's attack pitched?

dioxide

25 Sep 2018

It is probably a fifth or chord so playing it is almost as if you are changing keys. That kind of sample doesn't always fit well with more melodic elements.

Loque

25 Sep 2018

Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
25 Sep 2018

Yeah had another listen to it earlier and it's still baffling me. It (dunno if I'd call it a chord but I suppose it is) definitely is more than 1 note going on. The melody definitely wasn't complex. I will post an example of what I have so far on here later.

What's attack pitched?
A pitch envelope, mostly playing in the attack phase. It is good way to give a sound more punch or make it more audible in the attack phase to catch the listener. Good technique to make a sound cut through the mix. If it is too much, too long or has still a pitched sustain phase, the result is out of tune (probably).
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

26 Sep 2018

Here it is:-

Loque

26 Sep 2018

Sound like a classic house stab, which are pretty often with a 5th note. Sometimes the 5th note are not in the right scale. And it sounds in general a bit out of tune. My ears suck, but imo it sounds half note off, it sounds more like a sample that is pitched (down) and therefore out of tune.

My suggestion here is: Verfiy tuning without the chord (if possible) or try to get the chords and the tuning. Bring it in tune or adjust your other sounds. Or...just do not care, go lower with the bass, use synths and samples, that can live above or in front of this stab.
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

26 Sep 2018

How would I get this stab in tune then. Any ideas?

Loque

26 Sep 2018

Try GTune, or just bounce it to Audio and see what it shows in pitch editor or try to compare with a sine wave. The easiest would be, you have someone with absolut hearing or a lot of experience.
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

28 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Try GTune, or just bounce it to Audio and see what it shows in pitch editor or try to compare with a sine wave. The easiest would be, you have someone with absolut hearing or a lot of experience.
Thanks!

• Information