Audiomatic / effect activated before instrument plays

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
bbs

11 Sep 2018

Does anyone know how to add Audiomatic fx vinyl scratch effect UNLINKED to any instruments or tracks? I want to be able to hear the effect 1 bar before my actual track starts, but can't figure out how.
Last edited by bbs on 13 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2018

Selig built a Combinator that does what you’re asking for. I think he used a sine wave from Thor’s LFO2 to trigger the Audiomatic and then routes the signal back through the Thor’s Filter 3 in notch mode to attenuate the sine signal. Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7276607&p=377738&hi ... yl#p377738
selig wrote:
24 Jan 2018
selig wrote:
24 Jan 2018
Here's what I came up with using Thor and ART:
ART Vinyl Forever_GR.cmb.zip
Never version with Pulveriser adding more options:
ART Vinyl Forever_GR.cmb.zip
EDIT: Quoting seems to break hyperlinks. Posted url above.
Last edited by Timmy Crowne on 11 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

11 Sep 2018

bbs wrote:
11 Sep 2018
Does anyone know how to add Audiomatic fx vinyl scratch effect UNLINKED to any instruments or tracks? I want to be able to hear the effect 1 bar before my actual track starts, but can't figure out how.
[here's yet another solution, maybe better, definitely simpler!]

The scratch effect is triggered by an audio signal, and it will continue to play 4-6 seconds after the input triggers it.

I tried a few things, and the best solution was simply to use very soft white noise from Thor to trigger the effect. This works because you'll never hear then noise for two reasons. For one, the "masking effect"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_masking
keeps the noise from being heard, and for another, the noise level required to trigger the vinyl effect only needs to be around -65dBFS to work. This is FAR below what's easy to hear above the scratching effect, making it virtually invisible.

You can either just trigger this once at the start of the song, or let Thor's step sequencer continue to play so the vinyl effect continues after the end of the song.

If you need to ALSO process audio through the effect, use a Spider Merger to combine Thor with the main audio input. Make sense?

Thor "low level noise" patch:
LowLevelNoise.thor.zip
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Selig Audio, LLC

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
11 Sep 2018
I tried a few things, and the best solution was simply to use very soft white noise from Thor to trigger the effect.
Nice. That’s even more elegant, albeit without the magic of fine-tuned filter wizardry!

selig
RE Developer

11 Sep 2018

The companion patch for this is "Vinyl without the scratches". This lets you separate out the scratch effect from the audio processing:
Selig ART Vinyl.cmb.zip
(89.8 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information