How to create this sound?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Baylo

03 Sep 2018

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum... My son is currently using Reason to record an instrumental cover version of Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters". He's playing guitar, bass and drums, and using one of Reason's string sounds for the string section. We're trying to figure out how to create the pitchbend/slide sound heard at the end of the intro - at 0:58 in the video here:

Is this simply a slide guitar sound? Or something else? He has access to a Yamaha Pacifica and Fender Strat, using a Katana amp (and Reason, of course). Any thoughts or guidance from the experts here would be hugely appreciated.

Mark

Namyo85

03 Sep 2018

Sounds like a slide guitar, perhaps with reverb and a long delay. It could even have been sampled and a fade in and out added.
As you'll know youtube has an abundance of guitar videos. I did a search for people playing slide guitar, especially with lap steels and resonators. Here's something that may help.

Another video with a Lap Steel.
:cool:

platzangst

03 Sep 2018

Well - it could have been an actual slide guitar, but I'd bet it's more likely someone using a slide on a standard electric guitar.

househoppin09

04 Sep 2018

Bit of a leftfield suggestion, but could it actually just be a recording of a normal sustained chord, with the bend applied via a slowdown of the audio track? Not sure what kinds of tape machines they used on that album, but I'd think it would have been an easy enough thing to simply turn down the speed during playback to get that effect. I could be way off though, so if anyone here thinks that's unlikely, listen to them, not me! ;)

wireless

04 Sep 2018

Namyo85 wrote:
03 Sep 2018

As you'll know youtube has an abundance of guitar videos. I did a search for people playing slide guitar, especially with lap steels and resonators.
Wasn't Larry fantastic! Gravity-based sliding - wow....

Baylo

04 Sep 2018

Thanks, folks, for the ideas and videos. Very much appreciated. We'll start experimenting...

Mark

• Information