Bass Lines (Calling All Bass Players)

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

30 Jul 2018

Hi All!

Just recorded an acoustic guitar piece on Reason and now tryna put a bass line to it using the Fretless Bass Electric Guitar patch.

Anybody help me out with knowing what bass rhythm to put to it?

What dictates it? Is it just a feel?

I only have about 3 patterns I use really with 2 I kind of made up and 1 is straight 16th notes that follow the route notes of the chords im about the 2nd or 3rd Octaves.

Any tips here?
Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

brand

01 Aug 2018

For the "I've Got a Feelin'" you mean? Anyhow, man, I love that! Nice tune! I was just jamming to it with my trusty bass. Frankly, I like the bass treatment on that. I'm not sure I would have done the descending line, but it works.
Anyway, ...is it just a feel... well, for me yeah, it is. I'm not sure I can explain it. You want the rhythm to push things along, and lock in. Bass is generally a supporting role. So it's got to lay a foundation, but not overpower. Space, and attention to note duration... which you did on that one, pretty much... Don't know if it helps... :puf_smile:

strangers
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2018

I'm primarily a guitarist but write a lot alongside a bassist/vocalist. You're off to a great start with the song. One thing I'd change is similar to what brand said above, "space and attention to note duration". The staccato bass throughout the entire track is a little much. I'd limit it to the transitions and/or sections you really want to emphasize since it works very well in those areas.

EdGrip

02 Aug 2018

The bass lines on Metronomy's album "The English Riviera" continue to inspire me. Have a listen if you're not familiar - you could start with "The Look".

Creativemind

11 Aug 2018

brand wrote:
01 Aug 2018
For the "I've Got a Feelin'" you mean? Anyhow, man, I love that! Nice tune! I was just jamming to it with my trusty bass. Frankly, I like the bass treatment on that. I'm not sure I would have done the descending line, but it works.
Anyway, ...is it just a feel... well, for me yeah, it is. I'm not sure I can explain it. You want the rhythm to push things along, and lock in. Bass is generally a supporting role. So it's got to lay a foundation, but not overpower. Space, and attention to note duration... which you did on that one, pretty much... Don't know if it helps... :puf_smile:
No, I wasn't talking about my song on here. "I've Got a Feelin' (In My Soul)". This was another one but I'd love to hear what bass line you've come up with to it to see how it differentiates with mine. Thanks for the compliments too. I love the way the beat changes at 2m04s which was kind of a fluke, well no kind of about it :lol:

Creativemind

11 Aug 2018

strangers wrote:
01 Aug 2018
I'm primarily a guitarist but write a lot alongside a bassist/vocalist. You're off to a great start with the song. One thing I'd change is similar to what brand said above, "space and attention to note duration". The staccato bass throughout the entire track is a little much. I'd limit it to the transitions and/or sections you really want to emphasize since it works very well in those areas.
Staccato bass a little much, ok. So Staccato according to Google is a 'note of shortened duration'. So you think having the notes the same length is too stringent? So what transitions do you think would work best?

Maybe get a collaborative piece going here. If brand who replied to me first would let me send him the Reason file and he / she would put a bass line to it and send it back then can you play lead and either copy mine with a little embellishment or come up with something better on at 2m04s? then find a drummer to record drums to it, maybe even a pianist to play to it, again either copying my melody with a little embellishment or doing something different. Might start another thread on here to find a drummer.

brand

12 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
11 Aug 2018

Maybe get a collaborative piece going here. If brand who replied to me first would let me send him the Reason file and he / she would put a bass line to it and send it back...
Hey, I'm willing to give it a go... :)
-Eric

Creativemind

18 Aug 2018

brand wrote:
12 Aug 2018
Creativemind wrote:
11 Aug 2018

Maybe get a collaborative piece going here. If brand who replied to me first would let me send him the Reason file and he / she would put a bass line to it and send it back...
Hey, I'm willing to give it a go... :)
-Eric
Hi Eric,

Sorry for the late reply. So you want to put bass to my track?

brand

18 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
18 Aug 2018

-Eric
Hi Eric,

[/quote]

That's OK! Sure. You want to send the file? And I'll try it out. Super busy, so it might not be immediate. So if you can forgive that... :puf_smile:

Creativemind

20 Aug 2018

brand wrote:
18 Aug 2018
Creativemind wrote:
18 Aug 2018

-Eric
Hi Eric,

That's OK! Sure. You want to send the file? And I'll try it out. Super busy, so it might not be immediate. So if you can forgive that... :puf_smile:
[/quote]

OK yeah. No probs. Will send you the file pm if that's possible in about an hour or so. Cheers!

• Information