NOOB Europa/Grain question

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
DJSUK

17 Jul 2018

I am somewhat familiar but still a novice at subtractive synthesis. I know that in subtractive synth you use the filter freq and the envelope amount to regulate the amount of a filter sweep using the filter envelope. When I look in Europoa or Grain their is no filter envelope amount button. Can you do filter sweeps with these types of synthesis or is that something you are able to draw with the envelope. Just trying to wrap my head around sound creation.

RandomSkratch

17 Jul 2018

You can totally do the same thing with these synths. With Europa each engine has a spectral filter which can be your typical low or high pass and there is an overall filter in the mixer section. All of these can be controlled by the envelopes and are assigned using the little display in the sections and the amount is controlled using the knob next to the display. With an initialised patch they both say ENV2 which is envelope 2.

These envelopes are not quite the same setup as your typical ADSR but are much more configurable. They are a different representation but do the same thing and can have many more nodes.

To use the main filter on mixer section you need to enable each engine to be sent to it using the little square buttons after each mixer level.

With Grain, the filter is before the amp envelope and is hard linked to the envelope 2 which is the same style as Europa.

Do you need further explanation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Information