Infra and Ultra frequencies T'sGIoR

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC

12 Jun 2018

Gonna throw the ball in the air:

Why wipe them out? Sometimes, using frequencies below 20 Hz can be a great source for distortion. Or we could distort the infra and ultra (above 16~20 kHz)frequencies to see if they can create some interesting sounds. Maybe isolating them and bring them octave(s) up / down respectively and see what we get.

Thoughts?

jimmyklane

12 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
12 Jun 2018

Why wipe them out? Sometimes, using frequencies below 20 Hz can be a great source for distortion. Or we could distort the infra and ultra (above 16~20 kHz)frequencies to see if they can create some interesting sounds. Maybe isolating them and bring them octave(s) up / down respectively and see what we get.

Thoughts?
Trumpets, cymbals, and a few other things produce harmonics up to and past 100k, and I’ve thought the same thing....for example the sound of a quasar when brought into the range of human hearing is almost exactly sample&hold applies to pitch!!! but sub bass is a problem. It will eat up all the energy (literally, all the amplitude potential) in your song and you will wonder why it sounds so quiet compared to everything else.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

RobC

12 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
12 Jun 2018
RobC wrote:
12 Jun 2018

Thoughts?
Trumpets, cymbals, and a few other things produce harmonics up to and past 100k, and I’ve thought the same thing....for example the sound of a quasar when brought into the range of human hearing is almost exactly sample&hold applies to pitch!!! but sub bass is a problem. It will eat up all the energy (literally, all the amplitude potential) in your song and you will wonder why it sounds so quiet compared to everything else.
Interesting, though in my case, weird things happened when creating complex synthesized sounds; especially with FM. As for bass, that's more useful for sidechain distortion; and maybe checking what it sounds like a few octaves higher. Though since filtered, it probably would be just some sine-like varied thing. But the ultra frequencies certainly could make something more interesting. Funny example is some birds singing, that have very clear melodies, when brought down a few octaves, just they sing at extremely high frequencies.

• Information