Reverse Stretching (Today's Genius Idea of Rob)

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC

10 Jun 2018

It's great for many purposes. For example, instead of a vocal plainly starting in your song, you can just take the very first word(s), reverse, place it right before, stretch to the left (obviously), and add a fade-in to it.

This works for any sound, though, really, including instruments, synthesizers, drums, SFX, etc.

It's like the reverse reverb effect.

This can also be done with feedback-delaying (echoing) that one word, or sound, making a loop of the effect signal, and following the steps above.

This also triggered another genius idea just now. Two actually.

First, we could slice up synth sounds, reverse each slice and offset it behind each note, creating a reversed pre-echo.

Second, for an instrument starter, or vocal, etc. if we don't want it to be reversed, we could take the given word or note, reverse that, add the effect, such as echo with feedback, then take the effect signal, and once turned into an audio clip, reversing that and again following the beginning idea of this post. It would result in a busy echoing sound, that cleans up, gets louder and becomes completely clean when the given loop starts.

In my own way, I am a genius.
Hail to the genius, baby!

RobC

11 Jun 2018

If it wasn't obvious, by genius I mean:

x"D That speaks for itself...

But yeah, certainly creative, but can be unstable.

tiker01

11 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
10 Jun 2018

Second, for an instrument starter, or vocal, etc. if we don't want it to be reversed, we could take the given word or note, reverse that, add the effect, such as echo with feedback, then take the effect signal, and once turned into an audio clip, reversing that and again following the beginning idea of this post. It would result in a busy echoing sound, that cleans up, gets louder and becomes completely clean when the given loop starts.
That is good idea!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

jimmyklane

11 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
10 Jun 2018
It's great for many purposes. For example, instead of a vocal plainly starting in your song, you can just take the very first word(s), reverse, place it right before, stretch to the left (obviously), and add a fade-in to it.

This works for any sound, though, really, including instruments, synthesizers, drums, SFX, etc.

This can also be done with feedback-delaying (echoing) that one word, or sound, making a loop of the effect signal, and following the steps above.

First, we could slice up synth sounds, reverse each slice and offset it behind each note, creating a reversed pre-echo.

Do you mean reversing a sample, time stretching it while reversed, and then reversing again so it plays forwards?

If so, that’s something I’ve genuinely never heard of and will give it a try!!!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

RobC

11 Jun 2018

tiker01 wrote:
11 Jun 2018
RobC wrote:
10 Jun 2018

That is good idea!
Glad to hear! Reassurance is always welcome!

RobC

11 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
11 Jun 2018
RobC wrote:
10 Jun 2018

Do you mean reversing a sample, time stretching it while reversed, and then reversing again so it plays forwards?

If so, that’s something I’ve genuinely never heard of and will give it a try!!!
Very funny... : P
I think you would get the same results with that. But who knows?
What I meant originally... was what I wrote. xD

jimmyklane

11 Jun 2018

I think my point is that I’m not super clear on the meaning/method in your first post.

I’ll read it again and see if I’m missing something obvious

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

jimmyklane

11 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
10 Jun 2018

Oh. What you’re saying was so simple that I thought you meant something different....more complex. This is just like reversing a piece of tape.

In the “reverse time stretch” example I gave before you actually get very different results, and those results themselves vary depending on what you use to do the timestretch. If you use Reason, it’ll just be a longer fade in, and even at extremes doesn’t get that gnarly....if you use something older (I used my Emu E5000 to test) you get a crunchy, stuttering sound due to the artifacts present in early technology.

RobC

11 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
11 Jun 2018
RobC wrote:
10 Jun 2018

Oh. What you’re saying was so simple that I thought you meant something different....more complex. This is just like reversing a piece of tape.

In the “reverse time stretch” example I gave before you actually get very different results, and those results themselves vary depending on what you use to do the timestretch. If you use Reason, it’ll just be a longer fade in, and even at extremes doesn’t get that gnarly....if you use something older (I used my Emu E5000 to test) you get a crunchy, stuttering sound due to the artifacts present in early technology.
Time stretching, reversing, fading in ~ point of it is a little build up effect, like the 'authentic' classic reverse reverb effect. Simple, yet effective.

• Information