CV Basics help needed

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jmax

06 Jun 2018

Complete knob here so forgive me! I don't understand much about CV, just that one device can modulate another. In the image below I'm trying to modulate the EQ-mid from the Pulsar. Would there be a proper way to modulate the EQ? What does the Pulsar do exactly. I have read up on it but still don't quite understand.

Attachments
Pic 1.png
Pic 1.png (669.1 KiB) Viewed 1819 times

Catblack

06 Jun 2018

Go and get the CVA-7 RE. https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -analyzer/

Put it in a shortcuts folder for CV. You will probably use it more than any other.

Now hook the Pulsar to the CVA-7, then use the passthrough to connect it from there. Note there's 4 outputs and a variety of options. Try hooking up two CVA-7s in series if you are curious as to what those output options do.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Bes
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2018

watch the propellerhead intro video for Pulsar here for a light overview >
- Certified Reason expert

Jmax

06 Jun 2018

Catblack wrote:
06 Jun 2018
Go and get the CVA-7 RE. https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -analyzer/

Put it in a shortcuts folder for CV. You will probably use it more than any other.

Now hook the Pulsar to the CVA-7, then use the passthrough to connect it from there. Note there's 4 outputs and a variety of options. Try hooking up two CVA-7s in series if you are curious as to what those output options do.
Okay, added that to my RE's. More to explore.

Jmax

06 Jun 2018

Bes wrote:
06 Jun 2018
watch the propellerhead intro video for Pulsar here for a light overview >
Yeah the video definitely helps. But again, what I'm trying to achieve is just have the MID EQ knob move by itself. Is this possible? I'm not getting how to do that watching the Pulsar video.

Bes
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2018

the knob is not going to visually move. that is another reason why the CVA-7 is really useful.

the pulsar in its default state is constantly outputting a bipolar sine wave at 3/8 time and 50% level
you have cabled it so it is affecting the volume of the midband 50% positive and then 50% negative at 3/8 time
whatever setting the mid knob is at currently (for the KHS 3band EQ default setting is 0 or no volume change) is the origin point from where cv is increasing and decreasing the volume

if you pass audio through the 3-band EQ then you will hear the frequencies in that mid band get louder and quieter
- Certified Reason expert

Jmax

07 Jun 2018

Bes wrote:
07 Jun 2018
the knob is not going to visually move. that is another reason why the CVA-7 is really useful.

the pulsar in its default state is constantly outputting a bipolar sine wave at 3/8 time and 50% level
you have cabled it so it is affecting the volume of the midband 50% positive and then 50% negative at 3/8 time
whatever setting the mid knob is at currently (for the KHS 3band EQ default setting is 0 or no volume change) is the origin point from where cv is increasing and decreasing the volume

if you pass audio through the 3-band EQ then you will hear the frequencies in that mid band get louder and quieter
That definitely makes more sense. I'll keep trying things.

theshoemaker

07 Jun 2018

If you want to see how the button moves:

You already have it in the Mix Channel, so you can use the Programmer there,.
1. Klick 'Show Programmer'
2 . set the LFO CV out to CV1 In of the Programmer.
3. Flip to the front.
4. Select the EQ device in the list to the left.
5. On the Modulation Matrix(right side) select CV1 as Target
6. As Source select the Mid.

Now whenever you put a CV signal on CV1 in the programmer you will see how the button moves.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

tekengine

08 Jun 2018

Stick the EQ in a combinator. Assign the knob you want to modulate to one of the controller knobs on the combinator. Plug the LFO signal into the back panel of the same combinator knob. voila! visual feedback of what the LFO is doing, too! Adjust min/max for combinator knob for more control. :puf_smile:

Jmax

08 Jun 2018

Thanks guys.. making progress here.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2018

tekengine wrote:
08 Jun 2018
Stick the EQ in a combinator. Assign the knob you want to modulate to one of the controller knobs on the combinator. Plug the LFO signal into the back panel of the same combinator knob. voila! visual feedback of what the LFO is doing, too! Adjust min/max for combinator knob for more control. :puf_smile:
Maybe you should have read the the post above yours as what Theshoemarker wrote was more than correct, I think you will learn something.
theshoemaker wrote:
07 Jun 2018

3. Flip to the front.

Now whenever you put a CV signal on CV1 in the programmer you will see how the button moves.

tekengine

09 Jun 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
08 Jun 2018
tekengine wrote:
08 Jun 2018
Maybe you should have read the the post above yours as what Theshoemarker wrote was more than correct, I think you will learn something.
theshoemaker wrote:
07 Jun 2018

3. Flip to the front.

it's much the same thing, but ye i didnt realise its possible within the channel strip now.
ive only recently upgraded from 4.5 to 10.1

theshoemaker

09 Jun 2018

tekengine wrote:
09 Jun 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
08 Jun 2018

it's much the same thing, but ye i didnt realise its possible within the channel strip now.
ive only recently upgraded from 4.5 to 10.1
That's one thing. The other thing you could have learned is HOW to describe something to someone who doesn't know anything, or just few things about Reason. If you describe what to do, only if the person you are talking to knows "HOW TO" ... he will understand your terminology.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Oquasec

09 Jun 2018

Sounds stupid but Downgrading to reason 5 should do it. And use later versions for projects you think needs those new modules.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information