A good brass starter

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
User avatar
Loque
Posts: 5185
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 03 Jun 2018

I just read through lots of articles that were recommended by jimmyklane in this thread viewtopic.php?p=396281#p396281.

Excellent stuff. I really can recommend to read this. It increases my understanding of sound design and i was actually experimenting with brass-types of sounds. If you made it through the articles to the brass sections, you may get a understanding which different basic wave types creates which instrument and you know what? Its true!

So here is a basic brass starter patch with only 1 osc. It works as a good basic for several brass types. Just change the basic wave and you get diffferent types with different timbres from pipes to trumpets. Change the envelopes for the amp and filter, and you can even more change the charactersitic to different types and play styles.

I really love brass type sounds, but i already noticed in the past, to make the going and sound good, you need a lot of different modulations sculpting the sound and lots of those modulations need to be scaled to give the sound more live. SO i come to the conclusion, the more possiblities of modulations and their scaling the better you can sculp the sound. This requires build in LFOs, Envelopes, Filters and in perfect scenarios FX(!) reacting per voice. So please synth designers out ther, provide enough slots for my mod matrix, give me enough envelops and LFOs (with delay, lag and fade) and let me access everything in a synth, which includes AM/FM/RM/PWM/PM per audio rate which i can scale with an envelope. The modulations are an important part beside good basic wavetables/ oscilators and excellent filters with overdrive/feedback.

Anough blabla...Read the mentioned articles and here is hte patch to get started (oh...its an Europa patch):
Starter for lots of brasses.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

djadalaide
Posts: 147
Joined: 11 May 2018

Post 03 Jun 2018

I tried this out with Ableton and Europa VST.. sounds great! I wonder if it is possible to do really raspy-type angry boat rasps (think hans zimmer..)

jimmyklane
Posts: 738
Joined: 16 Apr 2018

Post 03 Jun 2018

djadalaide wrote:
03 Jun 2018
I tried this out with Ableton and Europa VST.. sounds great! I wonder if it is possible to do really raspy-type angry boat rasps (think hans zimmer..)
I’m not sure if Europa will do audio-rate stuff, I’ve never tried...however Thor will do these sounds easily. Those “angry boat rasps” you speak of sound like filter FM in lowish amounts with an envelope opening the filter. It’s a brassy TYPE of sound, but sounds nothing like brass.
DAW: Reason 10,

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

jimmyklane
Posts: 738
Joined: 16 Apr 2018

Post 03 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
03 Jun 2018
I just read through lots of articles that were recommended by jimmyklane in this thread viewtopic.php?p=396281#p396281.

Excellent stuff. I really can recommend to read this. It increases my understanding of sound design and i was actually experimenting with brass-types of sounds. If you made it through the articles to the brass sections, you may get a understanding which different basic wave types creates which instrument and you know what? Its true!

So here is a basic brass starter patch with only 1 osc. It works as a good basic for several brass types. Just change the basic wave and you get diffferent types with different timbres from pipes to trumpets. Change the envelopes for the amp and filter, and you can even more change the charactersitic to different types and play styles.

I really love brass type sounds, but i already noticed in the past, to make the going and sound good, you need a lot of different modulations sculpting the sound and lots of those modulations need to be scaled to give the sound more live. SO i come to the conclusion, the more possiblities of modulations and their scaling the better you can sculp the sound. This requires build in LFOs, Envelopes, Filters and in perfect scenarios FX(!) reacting per voice. So please synth designers out ther, provide enough slots for my mod matrix, give me enough envelops and LFOs (with delay, lag and fade) and let me access everything in a synth, which includes AM/FM/RM/PWM/PM per audio rate which i can scale with an envelope. The modulations are an important part beside good basic wavetables/ oscilators and excellent filters with overdrive/feedback.

Anough blabla...Read the mentioned articles and here is hte patch to get started (oh...its an Europa patch):

Starter for lots of brasses.zip
Loque, thanks for the mention! If you manage to make it all the way through every article, you’ll be able to walk up to any modular or synth and (once familiar with the layout) make most sounds. Every synth has its own character but the family of sounds you’re shooting for will always be the same regardless of synth.
DAW: Reason 10,

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

djadalaide
Posts: 147
Joined: 11 May 2018

Post 03 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jun 2018
djadalaide wrote:
03 Jun 2018
I tried this out with Ableton and Europa VST.. sounds great! I wonder if it is possible to do really raspy-type angry boat rasps (think hans zimmer..)
I’m not sure if Europa will do audio-rate stuff, I’ve never tried...however Thor will do these sounds easily. Those “angry boat rasps” you speak of sound like filter FM in lowish amounts with an envelope opening the filter. It’s a brassy TYPE of sound, but sounds nothing like brass.
I had a try in Europa, let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yef6neokm6g5 ... patch?dl=1

jimmyklane
Posts: 738
Joined: 16 Apr 2018

Post 03 Jun 2018

djadalaide wrote:
03 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
03 Jun 2018


I’m not sure if Europa will do audio-rate stuff, I’ve never tried...however Thor will do these sounds easily. Those “angry boat rasps” you speak of sound like filter FM in lowish amounts with an envelope opening the filter. It’s a brassy TYPE of sound, but sounds nothing like brass.
I had a try in Europa, let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yef6neokm6g5 ... patch?dl=1
The short story: I’ll have to check it out tomorrow or Tuesday...

More details:
Today is a project day....I’m building out a second desk in my studio room. I’ve been using 3 monitors (one each for sequencer, rack, and mixer) with Reason for quite a while now, and I need more room to host these as well as a better way to mount the master keyboard. It’s got a drawer underneath that pulls out to reveal the keyboard, and enough room under the speaker shelves that I can put some of my rackmount samplers for easier access to them (they are under the patchbay now which is a serious pain in the neck....literally!!!). So the computer and all the cables running around the back of the main desk need to be pulled apart and reassembled, and I’ve got to create some new cable runs to connect both desks (main one is an Argosy console desk that houses my digital mixer as well as rack gear on each side.)....so I’ll have a composition/sound design desk with a Mac mini running Reason with a pair of more consumer-oriented speakers, and then the main mixing desk that has my main monitors, my console, and much of my rack equipment. I’m pretty excited about being able to simply roll back and forth and have everything talking to everything else but more organized into functional areas!
DAW: Reason 10,

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 5185
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 12 May 2019

Here is another according to the current thread:
viewtopic.php?p=445129#p445129
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests