Counter-Intuitive Reason Hack For Mixing

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
EthicistBeats

31 May 2018

Hey Fam, been away for minute ... whats up ???!!!! hahah

Okay, so for the past few days, anytime i opened reason, i realized that i couldn't see any number values while moving faders and eq's etc, i thought it sort of weird but then figured it must have been my computer or something ...

But long story short, my mixes sound better, cuz i had to use my ears instead of my eyes while mixing!! Hahah simple right?

Since i had no parameter values to see i had to really start mixing with my ears ... it felt super counter intuitive, because, i'd slap an eq, and go "looking" for the HZ that i thought i'd need to fix, end up in the "x" range of freq ranges and then start looking ... but over the past few days, my mixing sounds better! to the point, where even my cousin was like "yoo, what'd you do?" hahaha

ANyways, try it out guys. Go into your preferences, and under "appearance" uncheck "show parameter value tooltip"... Now, the reason rack really feels like a worldclass studio, with an SSL mixing board, and all its gadgets.

Now that i realize what i did, i'm going to keep the values off for now ...

Peace fam, let me know what you guys think ... lates.

djadalaide

31 May 2018

There was something someone said to me, he said its more about feeling than hearing.. Its how it feels.. Even if you don't hear the difference, if you feel it, thats what counts.

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2018

I'd say it's "hyper-intuitive"! Great advice, works like a charm, and is something I'd venture every engineer that worked in the analog era knew without even realizing it…
I love closing my eyes and listening when making changes - helps keep me from being fooled (at least most of the time).
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

EthicistBeats

31 May 2018

djadalaide wrote:
31 May 2018
There was something someone said to me, he said its more about feeling than hearing.. Its how it feels.. Even if you don't hear the difference, if you feel it, thats what counts.
1000%

EthicistBeats

31 May 2018

selig wrote:
31 May 2018
I'd say it's "hyper-intuitive"! Great advice, works like a charm, and is something I'd venture every engineer that worked in the analog era knew without even realizing it…
I love closing my eyes and listening when making changes - helps keep me from being fooled (at least most of the time).
;)
Hahahah Yeeew ...exactly, that's what i noticed, as well, "you fool yourself less".

normen

31 May 2018

Hah, #1 tip on this forum :)

aeox
Competition Winner

31 May 2018

You can always just mix by ear anyway without disabling the feature.

That feature is actually useful for other things ;D

• Information