Looking for tutorial ideas!

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
nooomy

23 May 2018

Hey! I been doing reason tutorials for about 3-4 years but recently I have ran out of ideas.

Do you have any suggestions of tutorials you want to see?
It could be anything! Like how to recreate a sound, a music genre, a mixing problem... etc

Thanks!

amcjen

23 May 2018

nooomy wrote:Hey! I been doing reason tutorials for about 3-4 years but recently I have ran out of ideas.

It could be anything! Like how to recreate a sound, a music genre, a mixing problem... etc

Thanks!
I have one I’ve wanted for years!

Recreate the bass synth patch on The Propellerheads’ “Bigger?” song. (The band, not the creators of Reason)

Specifically the pitch bend bass at 0:22 is monstrous. I’ve never been able to nail it.

pushedbutton

23 May 2018

OK, how about the 2016/17 vocal chop effect. from ...

and
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

BHK INSTRUMENTS

24 May 2018

amcjen wrote:
23 May 2018
nooomy wrote:Hey! I been doing reason tutorials for about 3-4 years but recently I have ran out of ideas.

Thanks!

Recreate the bass synth patch on The Propellerheads’ “Bigger?” song. (The band, not the creators of Reason)

Specifically the pitch bend bass at 0:22 is monstrous. I’ve never been able to nail it.

Open Thor, select the wavetable osc and as waveform "Basic Analog", then send into the shaper "Wrap" and from there into filter 3. Select the formant filter module and apply LFO 1 to the parameter "Filt X" and LFO 2 to the parameter "Filt Y". Select for the LFO's the waveform "5". Keyboard mode to "mono legato" and a short portamento time. Then mess with the shaper amount, rates of the LFO's, circle position of the formant filter and pitch bend wheel (+12/-12).

selig
RE Developer

24 May 2018

BHK INSTRUMENTS wrote:
24 May 2018
amcjen wrote:
23 May 2018

Open Thor, select the wavetable osc and as waveform "Basic Analog", then send into the shaper "Wrap" and from there into filter 3. Select the formant filter module and apply LFO 1 to the parameter "Filt X" and LFO 2 to the parameter "Filt Y". Select for the LFO's the waveform "5". Keyboard mode to "mono legato" and a short portamento time. Then mess with the shaper amount, rates of the LFO's, circle position of the formant filter and pitch bend wheel (+12/-12).
If you stopped there you'd be missing one big ingredient for that sound IMO, which is the stereo room effect. It's the first things I "heard" on that track because it's one thing I wouldn't expect to hear on a bass. Without that element, you have an pretty standard synth bass patch as outlined above. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

jimmyklane

24 May 2018

BHK INSTRUMENTS wrote:
24 May 2018
amcjen wrote:
23 May 2018

Honestly, this sounds like a much simpler bass patch than you’ve described here....ran through a guitar amp and recorded with a stereo pair out in the studio room as opposed to close miked.

I will listen later on my studio monitors....perhaps the cheap earbuds I’m on are causing me to miss something, but I heard a resonant filter with distortion on the backend. Maybe a little filter FM?
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

amcjen

24 May 2018

Interesting variety of responses! And perhaps why it’s been so elusive for me.

BHK INSTRUMENTS

24 May 2018

amcjen wrote:
24 May 2018
Interesting variety of responses! And perhaps why it’s been so elusive for me.
Here is the preset, forgot to mention that the wavetable position of the oscillator is at twelve o'clock. And in this preset, a second oscillator is switched on. In addition, try out other Oscillator wavetable combinations too, you might get closer. You could also use a third Oscillator.

Hope this helps. :)
Formant Filter.zip
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

nooomy

24 May 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
23 May 2018
OK, how about the 2016/17 vocal chop effect. from ...

and
That is outputs vst Exhale. You hear it everywhere these days! I could make a video showing it off!

Or I could show you how to get the same effect without using exhale

BHK INSTRUMENTS

25 May 2018

selig wrote:
24 May 2018
BHK INSTRUMENTS wrote:
24 May 2018

If you stopped there you'd be missing one big ingredient for that sound IMO, which is the stereo room effect. It's the first things I "heard" on that track because it's one thing I wouldn't expect to hear on a bass. Without that element, you have an pretty standard synth bass patch as outlined above. ;)
I also noticed that first too, reminds me on bootleg recordings. :) I just thought that the room effect is not so relevant to the actual sound.

• Information