Expert Sleepers ES-8 and Reason

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jagwah

17 Apr 2018

Hi, I'm really lost here and it would be great to get some help.

I am using Expert Sleepers ES-8 module on my modular synth. I want to send CV data from Reason to my synth. This module has a USB connection connecting it to my Reason computer, and I'm not finding very much information for sending CV through this type of connection.

I am using Reason 10 on W10 with an Asus Essence STX II soundcard. Should I be using some type of app like Loopback Midi for this process?

Can anyone help walk me through the process or direct me to some appropriate reading material as I am really lost at this point, thanks.

O1B

17 Apr 2018

The Manual is Scant: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8usermanual.html

I don't have one yet, but if I may...

Did you plug it onto something obvious to see it change... eg. Pitch, LFO rate?
On the sequencer, you should see all the channels for the ES-8, as usual.
From there, you can pick the channels. "Silent Way Voice Controller 1-2, 3-4, etc"

Im interested, and I hope you get it solved.

Not reason, but it shows it works!

The ES-8 is a USB 2.0 class-compliant audio interface in a Eurorack module, with DC-coupled inputs and outputs that can be used for both CVs and audio. As such it is directly compatible with all popular computer-based CV generation software (e.g. Silent Way, Max/MSP, Reaktor, CV Toolkit, zMors, Audulus, etc.) as well as audio and CV processing iOS apps.

QUOTE REMOVED.
Last edited by O1B on 18 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

rcbuse
RE Developer

17 Apr 2018

I don't see you referencing this RE, perhaps this is a good starting point.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ontroller/

emilng

17 Apr 2018

I have an ES-8 but I'm using it with a mac.

I'm assuming you have it plugged in correctly and installed the windows drivers.

If you go into your Reason "preferences" in the "Audio" tab. You should be able to change your "Audio Device" to the ES-8.
Under "Active Input Channels" and "Active Output Channels" make sure you enable all the inputs and outputs you plan to use.
Under Hardware Interface in the rack, if you flip the rack around you should see that your inputs and outputs are now lit up and ready to use.
If you route some audio to one of the outputs you should see that output light up a purple color on your ES-8.

Once that's working you'll have to convert your CV to audio in order to get it to work properly. You can use Thor for that as explained in this video

There are also a few REs that handle that more easily. As mentioned above, there's Silent Way for pitch CV. For general conversion, but not pitch CV there's https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... io-bundle/.

Jagwah

17 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:
17 Apr 2018

From there, you can pick the channels. "Silent Way Voice Controller 1-2, 3-4, etc"
Hi,

Yeah there's nothing in the sequencer and you can't really test anything until everything is already working - however the ES-8 has great LEDs that let you know when something is happening.

My main problem was many confusing choices in my audio preferences, but as emilng pointed out there should be one with Expert Sleepers or ES-8, which there is and since selecting it, everything else fell in to place.

Robotic Bean's CV I/O devices make this super easy, no converting to audio and back, once you are set up it's have at it!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... io-bundle/

Jagwah

17 Apr 2018

rcbuse wrote:
17 Apr 2018
I don't see you referencing this RE, perhaps this is a good starting point.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ontroller/
Thanks I have this in my rack waiting. I need to understand my modular oscillators a bit better - if only they had simple gate and CV inputs like Reason devices! :)

Jagwah

18 Apr 2018

emilng wrote:
17 Apr 2018
I have an ES-8 but I'm using it with a mac.

I'm assuming you have it plugged in correctly and installed the windows drivers.

If you go into your Reason "preferences" in the "Audio" tab. You should be able to change your "Audio Device" to the ES-8.
Under "Active Input Channels" and "Active Output Channels" make sure you enable all the inputs and outputs you plan to use.
Under Hardware Interface in the rack, if you flip the rack around you should see that your inputs and outputs are now lit up and ready to use.
If you route some audio to one of the outputs you should see that output light up a purple color on your ES-8.

Once that's working you'll have to convert your CV to audio in order to get it to work properly. You can use Thor for that as explained in this video

There are also a few REs that handle that more easily. As mentioned above, there's Silent Way for pitch CV. For general conversion, but not pitch CV there's https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... io-bundle/.
Hey Emilng thanks a bunch! The way you explained this was exactly what I needed, I was set up minutes after reading your post so thank you :)

Now I have one last problem you may be familiar with, on Reason's hardware interface the usual audio outputs are now there with the CV cables next to them, and my audio output from Reason has died. Am I expecting too much to have both CV going out and audio going out at the same time?

By the way these new REs make things a lot easier, no converting audio and vice versa:

emilng

18 Apr 2018

Jagwah wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Now I have one last problem you may be familiar with, on Reason's hardware interface the usual audio outputs are now there with the CV cables next to them, and my audio output from Reason has died. Am I expecting too much to have both CV going out and audio going out at the same time?
You have to set up an aggregate device that combines your soundcard with the ES-8. This part I'm a little fuzzy on since I'm not on windows, but I believe http://www.asio4all.org/ should let you do that.

Your soundcard output might show up after the ES-8's outputs. In that case you'll have to route the "Master Out" from the "Master Section" to those outputs.

Hope that works!

O1B

18 Apr 2018

YES!!!

That has to be Awesome. You must be beaming like George Constanza!

I love Lectic Panda stuff - it's one of our first 'eyes on' in reason. (Shout to Chronologist REs)
I also have Mordax DATA and have learned SOOO much just watching the Blonds, Brunes, and Redheads.

But to have REASON CV in AND out (more resources to shape the sound) as a modulator gotta be something.
And, ES-8's 96K Audio rate is also nice to have. And, THATS why I need a portable (3-4U) Rack.
I read that ADAT bottle necks to 44 or 48 - but, I have to do more reading...

Congrats! Im jealous! It's gonna be hard to part with that $500, but I gotta cross over.

- the way I feel today... without Voltage Control... music sounds geriatric.
Jagwah wrote:
17 Apr 2018
O1B wrote:
17 Apr 2018

Hi,

Yeah there's nothing in the sequencer and you can't really test anything until everything is already working - however the ES-8 has great LEDs that let you know when something is happening.

My main problem was many confusing choices in my audio preferences, but as emilng pointed out there should be one with Expert Sleepers or ES-8, which there is and since selecting it, everything else fell in to place.

Robotic Bean's CV I/O devices make this super easy, no converting to audio and back, once you are set up it's have at it!

Jagwah

19 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:
18 Apr 2018
YES!!!

That has to be Awesome. You must be beaming like George Constanza!

I love Lectic Panda stuff - it's one of our first 'eyes on' in reason. (Shout to Chronologist REs)
I also have Mordax DATA and have learned SOOO much just watching the Blonds, Brunes, and Redheads.

But to have REASON CV in AND out (more resources to shape the sound) as a modulator gotta be something.
And, ES-8's 96K Audio rate is also nice to have. And, THATS why I need a portable (3-4U) Rack.
I read that ADAT bottle necks to 44 or 48 - but, I have to do more reading...

Congrats! Im jealous! It's gonna be hard to part with that $500, but I gotta cross over.

- the way I feel today... without Voltage Control... music sounds geriatric.
Thanks dude I was beaming once it kicked in to gear. :) Half of my rack is made up of video modules and getting all that functional and recording was a long journey, but now literally everything is working except for audio back in to Reason, and I already have a work around for it but I don't think it's necessary.

Yeah Letric Panda rules :)

Mordax Data looks intense!

There is a slightly smaller ES-5 which can be used as an extension to the ES-8, maybe that one can work independently too and should be cheaper.

Thanks for your input :)

Jagwah

19 Apr 2018

Reason is silent with my current connection. I can play a video in my browser and the sound works there, just not Reason.

I am using ASIO drivers and in audio preferences it shows up as ASIO Expert Sleepers ES-8 (Audio Card Driver).

If my CV data is being sent through this part of the hardware interface, should Reason's audio be coming through the same place? Does my interface look set up as it should be to send CV data and audio too?

CV OUT 1.0.jpg
CV OUT 1.0.jpg (175.67 KiB) Viewed 8759 times

O1B

19 Apr 2018

Care to share your weapons of choice, JagWah? I never sleep on visual data. Doepher..? or Liquid TV? Interested.
Half of my rack is made up of video modules
Do you have Expert Sleepers ES-8 show up in Reason Preferences Audio? From there, I'd imagine only the sequencer is needed.
Just spitballing. I hate these issues so i hope it gets solved for you quickly.

From what I gather from Mordax's readings, it doesn't care if I send it CV or audio, and it reads either no problem.
Im positive ES-8 works the same way. So few videos out there.

- maybe reach out to Expert Sleepers. I think you'll get this solved easy.
About the ES-5. Nope. I want that ES-8 (Audio/CV/ADAT). And I think I'll still need MI's YARNS (midi/CV)

Jagwah wrote:
19 Apr 2018
Reason is silent with my current connection. I can play a video in my browser and the sound works there, just not Reason.

I am using ASIO drivers and in audio preferences it shows up as ASIO Expert Sleepers ES-8 (Audio Card Driver).

If my CV data is being sent through this part of the hardware interface, should Reason's audio be coming through the same place? Does my interface look set up as it should be to send CV data and audio too?

CV OUT 1.0.jpg

emilng

19 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:
18 Apr 2018
One thing to watch out for with the ES-8 is that you have to make sure your case is deep enough to fit it. The ES-8 is 50mm deep and most skiffs won't be able fit that especially when you have to take the depth of a bus board into account.
Last edited by emilng on 19 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

emilng

19 Apr 2018

Jagwah wrote:
19 Apr 2018

In order to use multiple soundcards/audio interfaces at the same time on Windows you need to install http://www.asio4all.org/.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find clear instructions on using it with Reason, but basically asio4all has its own control panel. I think you can access it with the "Control Panel..." button where you choose your audio interface in Reason. You can see an example of this with Ableton https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... e-Windows- and with FL Studio https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHe ... io4all.htm. Notice the panel shows you all your audio interfaces and you can choose which ones you want to enable/disable.
Last edited by emilng on 20 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

20 Apr 2018

Looking at a 3U Rackbrute or 4U Intellijel. Which skiff do you use?
emilng wrote:
19 Apr 2018
O1B wrote:
18 Apr 2018
One thing to watch out for with the ES-8 is that you have to make sure your case is deep enough to fit it. The ES-8 is 50mm deep and most skiffs won't be able fit that especially when you have to take the depth of a bus board into account.

emilng

20 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:
20 Apr 2018
I'm using a 4U Intellijel.

O1B

21 Apr 2018

How do you place it on the table? against the Wall? Stand?
I ask because without a stand and braced against a wall, it seems it will just fall over?

Do you travel with it? Hows the bag fit?
And, how useful are the 1Us? interested in the 1U Attenuverter, but no others stood out.

Solid Thank you.
emilng wrote:
20 Apr 2018
O1B wrote:
20 Apr 2018
I'm using a 4U Intellijel.

emilng

21 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:
21 Apr 2018
How do you place it on the table? against the Wall? Stand?
I ask because without a stand and braced against a wall, it seems it will just fall over?

Do you travel with it? Hows the bag fit?
And, how useful are the 1Us? interested in the 1U Attenuverter, but no others stood out.
I just started this year so I don't have much yet. This is my current setup:

Since I can rewire inputs and outputs inside the computer I don't find myself repatching the cables on the ES-8 often. When I get more modules I plan to lay it flat when I'm patching and stand it up like I have it currently when I'm not. It's deep, short, and heavy enough that I'm not worried about it falling over.

I kind of feel the same way about the current 1U modules but I'm thinking about DIYing my own panels that can hold smaller modules like the 2HP or Erica Synths Pico horizontally. I have very limited desk space so I was constrained by what was available at 84HP. If you have more space there are a lot more options out there at 104HP.

I haven't traveled with it so I can't answer that question :)

O1B

22 Apr 2018

Macbook? sssssshhh! Don't tell Bxgyieg78c!

Thanks for the link. Looks Good. And, now you go and TEMPT me yet again with the SV-1.
Want. Want.

I think Im sold on the intellijel. 4U. 84. and a SV-1. vs a 7U. Thanks!

I have to print out a photo and study the SV-1. It looks beautiful, and wins in the M32 shootout:

emilng wrote:
21 Apr 2018
I just started this year so I don't have much yet. This is my current setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GThtzYxEAiA

Since I can rewire inputs and outputs inside the computer I don't find myself repatching the cables on the ES-8 often. When I get more modules I plan to lay it flat when I'm patching and stand it up like I have it currently when I'm not. It's deep, short, and heavy enough that I'm not worried about it falling over.

I kind of feel the same way about the current 1U modules but I'm thinking about DIYing my own panels that can hold smaller modules like the 2HP or Erica Synths Pico horizontally. I have very limited desk space so I was constrained by what was available at 84HP. If you have more space there are a lot more options out there at 104HP.

I haven't traveled with it so I can't answer that question :)

Jagwah

01 May 2018

Thanks for your input guys and sorry for the delay in replying.

My audio from Reason actually pipes beautifully through my ES-8's #1 and #2 CV outputs! I had tried everything else so I tried plugging my headphones into the ES-8 and couldnt believe it. This being the case I am sure it's something simple so I will get in touch with Expert Sleepers and ask their advice on the issue, and will post back here if I get some answers.

Jagwah

01 May 2018

Post deleted
Last edited by Jagwah on 18 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

emilng

01 May 2018

O1B wrote:
22 Apr 2018
Macbook? sssssshhh! Don't tell Bxgyieg78c!

Thanks for the link. Looks Good. And, now you go and TEMPT me yet again with the SV-1.
Want. Want.

I think Im sold on the intellijel. 4U. 84. and a SV-1. vs a 7U. Thanks!

I have to print out a photo and study the SV-1. It looks beautiful, and wins in the M32 shootout:
I had originally planned on getting the 7U, but with the cost of the SV-1, 4U case, and ES-8 I ran out of money in my budget :P
The SV-1 is great for how many options it provides in a larger modular setup. It basically has 4 sound sources; 2 oscillators, a self resonating filter, and a noise source. I also learned that a filter can double as a VCA in a pinch.

Jagwah wrote:
01 May 2018
Hey sorry for the delay in replying, and sure I love talking about my video gear :)
The video gear looks seriously cool, but it's another rabbit hole that I don't have time/can't afford to go down. I'd love to see what you're doing with it though.

Before I spent all my time and money on music gear I was doing a lot of computer art so I've been thinking about figuring out how to blend the two. I've been researching how to incorporate a Raspberry Pi with a screen into my case. It's basically a tiny computer so in theory I could use the ES-8 as the audio interface for it while displaying visuals on the screen.

O1B

02 May 2018

Wow! I had no idea that world existed.
Just looked up some of that gear. ... and the visuals... inspiring.

Time to research that setup.

Thank you.

QUOTE REMOVED
[/quote]
Last edited by O1B on 21 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

02 May 2018

I love that SV-1... i may get it and the KB-1 later in the year, if i sell a synth.
Ive seen them in their own case. I like that.

Its form factor is killer, and it makes a great synth, ute, filter, mixer...

its a work of art, really:

Does the CLOCK button (top left) act a a Tap Tempo?
emilng wrote:
01 May 2018
I had originally planned on getting the 7U, but with the cost of the SV-1, 4U case, and ES-8 I ran out of money in my budget :P
The SV-1 is great for how many options it provides in a larger modular setup. It basically has 4 sound sources; 2 oscillators, a self resonating filter, and a noise source. I also learned that a filter can double as a VCA in a pinch.

emilng

02 May 2018

O1B wrote:
02 May 2018
I love that SV-1... i may get it and the KB-1 later in the year, if i sell a synth.
Ive seen them in their own case. I like that.

Its form factor is killer, and it makes a great synth, ute, filter, mixer...

its a work of art, really:

Does the CLOCK button (top left) act a a Tap Tempo?
The clock button acts as a tap tempo when using the internal clock or sets clock multiply/divide when using midi clock or clock in. In combination with the LFO button it sets multiply/divide rate for the two clock synced LFOs in the midi module.

• Information