High Frequency Roll-off at 15 kHz or 20480 Hz?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC

28 Mar 2018

It's said that during adulthood, our hearing threshold decreases above 15 kHz.
Now, I'm a bit hesitant, because when I did a FIR rectangle rip off above 15 kHz, it sounded like the music lost something. But then again, is that something so necessary? ...or should 20480 Hz be the limit (though I fear damaging my hearing if I practice equalizing such extreme frequency levels)?

Loque

28 Mar 2018

If you cannot hear it, you should not mix it or if you want to mix it, do not increase it, rather reduce it to be safe.
Reason12, Win10

RobC

28 Mar 2018

I can hear it, but it definitely needs a boost on my system when I equalize to my hearing. But due to that fact about adulthood, I'm like - why bother with it above 15 kHz then?

selig
RE Developer

28 Mar 2018

RobC wrote:
28 Mar 2018
I can hear it, but it definitely needs a boost on my system when I equalize to my hearing. But due to that fact about adulthood, I'm like - why bother with it above 15 kHz then?
That's why you use a mix reference, a selection of songs that you love and that sound good to you on every system you hear them on. Mix to those references and forget about the "rules" or "equal loudness curves" or "grey noise". Just do your best to make your mixes sound as much like the mixes you are inspired by!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

28 Mar 2018

I once tried the gray noise method and I got a similar tonality to some hit songs. Dare I say better, because they were clearly mastered with the limitations of vinyl in mind. So, what now if it worked?

selig
RE Developer

28 Mar 2018

RobC wrote:
28 Mar 2018
I once tried the gray noise method and I got a similar tonality to some hit songs. Dare I say better, because they were clearly mastered with the limitations of vinyl in mind. So, what now if it worked?
I say use whatever works, and it sounds like you're saying you've got the results you want - not sure why questions remain in that case?
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

28 Mar 2018

selig wrote:
28 Mar 2018
RobC wrote:
28 Mar 2018
I say use whatever works, and it sounds like you're saying you've got the results you want - not sure why questions remain in that case?
I need the approval (or dissing xD) of professionals I guess, because in this world, it's only good, if a professional says so.

• Information