What should be the target loudness? MASTERING

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
O1B

02 Apr 2018

Overly dramatic. Which part?

Seriously?
Such an empty response. Why wouldn't you be treated likewise?

... mad ah Jimi for mot being impressed.... Snowflakes falling in NY this morning, btw.
Reasonable man wrote:
02 Apr 2018

I can't take you seriously after that question not to mention the overly dramatic nature of your post

RobC

02 Apr 2018

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
02 Apr 2018
RobC wrote:
01 Apr 2018
It will not exactly happen: See, a perfectly equalized kick drum and a hat, at the same loudness will never sound the same to begin with. Imagine a fat and a skinny person of the same height standing next to each-other.
A kick rather has a click in the higher frequency regions, but the basses will make it appear thicker. It will never ever be death accurate, because ears naturally do some compression, and thus will be more forgiving with transients; therefore that click in the kick drum will very likely much-much louder as I do the leveling and equalization, than the hat's higher frequency levels. There will be differences, no matter what. I'm not even gonna go to how I position sounds in the stereo field. Radical.
You can guess that I work apparently minimalistic, but then again everything will be very worked out and detailed. If you make shorter melodies, you have to make them outstanding, so they remain interesting. You have to make multiple sections in your arrangement, so it will be at least 2 minutes long...
Long story short, if you pay equal attention to everything, you have to be a little bit minimalistic, otherwise you work on a song forever, and get bored in a few days. However, "limiting" yourself, forces you to be creative, and you never-ever get bored. One creative limitation forces another. There's only so much you can put into a loop, so you have to make another loop of your own loop. But there's only so much you can arrange out of that, so you have to mess around a lot with your arrangement, too, to keep it interesting. That won't be enough either, so you have to add interesting master effects and transitions. Tons of tiny, quick works, but in the end, they all add up.
What does this for you? You end up completely unique. And you will master the knowledge of writing lyrics, melodies for the lyrics, performing and recording them, design sounds (synths, drums, sfx) accordingly (from scratch! every single sound!), write fitting melodies and rhythm, make loops of everything you did, pre-master them, then create loops out of the loops, start arranging (including making gaps, stops, anything creative - and juggling around here and there with the whole song), mix (automation, macro dynamics, fadings in-out) add master effects/transitions/filters (including gating effects), and mastering (where with a perfect mix you need to do little to nothing). All with maximum attention, one at a time. A lot of entertaining tiny work, that progresses faster than you think, cause you always know what to do. You don't sit there, frustrated, looking for the perfect samples, presets, etc. Wondering why you're not unique, why problems arise with your mix.

Wanna hear a song like that? Haha, I got none! xD Cause I'm looking for a few bricks, so my "Tetris" knowledge can finally clear up!

Will your music be 100% professional. No, it will be much more. Will you be able to work in all these fields? - Depends on your creativity. If somebody gives you a sound and asks you to remove a "glaring error", and what pops up in your mind is a solution like doing a parallel processing, where you equalize out the problem frequency; frequency limit it; maybe try automated equalization; then mix-match until you get an as transparent solution as possible out of these three, then you have a chance. You learn a core knowledge, then defeat every obstacle.
Will you be able to impress audio geeks and nerds? If you learn the fancy words, yes. If you speak multiple languages, and are bi, or trilingual like me, (I meant bilingual, not something else!!!) and are more interested in what matters the most, the final sound - then you may mix-match definitions, which only you will understand. I accidentally may say things as if "the moon shines brightly during the day and pales the skin nicely" whereas in my head you see the sun tanning somebody's skin. Of course things won't make sense to others like that, so don't expect to make scientific publications. xD Unless you're willing to spend a few days/weeks, clearing terms up in your head. I know 'I' won't, until I fill in the few info I need, so my "picture" (sound, actually), will be complete.

I suspect, I'm hyperactive. I switch topics a lot. I can't sit for too long, making music. I tend to get outside, run/dance around, clap rhythmically, and beat-box at the same time (that's when I can think clearly and focus). xD

P.S. you're nobody until you are a super star with diploma(s), Doctor, Professor, have a lot of money, filthy connections, etc. Kidding, nobody will ever show you real respect who isn't your true fan, true friend, true supporter.

Yes, I'm done! xD (Coffee, Black tea, cola.)
TL; DR - I'd be willing to challenge you to a Tetris match, or Chess. Pick Your poison.
Replied to Marco Raaphorst - while having a bit too much caffeine in me. : P
I'd fail Chess, and haven't played Tetris in a while, hehe.

Reasonable man

03 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:
02 Apr 2018
Overly dramatic. Which part?

Seriously?
Such an empty response. Why wouldn't you be treated likewise?

... mad ah Jimi for mot being impressed.... Snowflakes falling in NY this morning, btw.
Reasonable man wrote:
02 Apr 2018

I can't take you seriously after that question not to mention the overly dramatic nature of your post
Are you some nut case?
I did a 5000 word thesis ffs on the signifance of Revolver and Sgt Pepper's influence and contribution to sound design, sound engineering and music in general not 11 months ago!
Read my intial post . I will take graet pleasure in schooling you pointless trooling muppet

RobC

04 Apr 2018

*SILENCINGCLAPCLAPCLAP*
Stop fighting, people like this would be the dark side of the Image Line fanbase!
Gotta summon Gandhi...

O1B

04 Apr 2018

A scholar....
You did a 5000 word thesis...? On SgtP?

...meh.

Love,
Love me do..!

Curb the ad hominims, little man.
Reasonable man wrote:
03 Apr 2018
Are you some nut case?
I did a 5000 word thesis ffs on the signifance of Revolver and Sgt Pepper's influence and contribution to sound design, sound engineering and music in general not 11 months ago!
Read my intial post . I will take graet pleasure in schooling you pointless trooling muppet

selig
RE Developer

04 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:
04 Apr 2018
A scholar....
You did a 5000 word thesis...? On SgtP?

...meh.

Love,
Love me do..!

Curb the ad hominims, little man.
Reasonable man wrote:
03 Apr 2018
Are you some nut case?
Hello fine people, both of you need to dial back the ad hominem comments - either your argument holds water on it's own or it doesn't. Share opinions all day long if you like, but in the end they are just that, an no one is right or wrong, OK?
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

04 Apr 2018

You're not Gandhi... Or are you? xD JK

(P.S. I respect Gandhi's intelligence. People didn't respect he hates being called Mahatma, though.)

• Information