Juno 106 KY Piano Caper Patch Recreation

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

25 Mar 2018

Hi All!

Was listening to a demo of the Juno 106 Plug-Out VST and very much liked the KY Piano Caper preset heard here:-

So I thought I'd give it a whirl on Thor.

I immediately thought, Multi Oscillator would work here. I can't seem to get that warm sound that this Juno has though. I thought, that's probably due to the fact that the analog synth would've had tube circuitry (I'm guessing) which would give the warm sound. Then I thought, doh, this is a VST version haha! well emulated Roland.

Anyway, I added a Saturation Knob and tried Low and Neutral settings but both made crackling noises through my headphones before any warm or additional sound alteration was audible.

Any ideas? Anything with the Mod Matrix help here? I'm just about to go and read what the different settings mean on the Multi-Osc in the manual. The Octave, Fifth Up, etc

The Juno 106 was famous for it's Onboard Stereo Chorus effect. Maybe that may have something to do with it.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

31 Mar 2018

Some of those Juno synths are lush. The patch on the vid I was referring to btw is at 6 m 59s. The vid should automatically play at that point but it doesn't work on phones, or not on mine it didn't.

Also, what do some of the patch abbreviations stand for on the patches on there, obviously SQ is Sequenced, PD is pad, BS is bass and LD is lead but what are-

SY?
SY LR?
SBR?
LD-J?

WongoTheSane

31 Mar 2018

Creativemind wrote:
31 Mar 2018
Some of those Juno synths are lush. The patch on the vid I was referring to btw is at 6 m 59s. The vid should automatically play at that point but it doesn't work on phones, or not on mine it didn't.

Also, what do some of the patch abbreviations stand for on the patches on there, obviously SQ is Sequenced, PD is pad, BS is bass and LD is lead but what are-

SY?
SY LR?
SBR?
LD-J?
SY = Synth
SY LR = Synth Layered
SBR = Synth Brass
LD-J = It's not a category, the category is "LD" and the patch name is "J-Oboe" (Juno Oboe) :)

You might want to check ReDominator: while emulating the Alpha and not the 106, it does have the Roland Chorus you're referring to. And so does Chenille, incidentally.

Creativemind

02 Apr 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
31 Mar 2018
Creativemind wrote:
31 Mar 2018

SY?
SY LR?
SBR?
LD-J?
SY = Synth
SY LR = Synth Layered
SBR = Synth Brass
LD-J = It's not a category, the category is "LD" and the patch name is "J-Oboe" (Juno Oboe) :)

You might want to check ReDominator: while emulating the Alpha and not the 106, it does have the Roland Chorus you're referring to. And so does Chenille, incidentally.
Thanks for clearing up those abbreviations.

The 106 wasn't an alpha though was it?

WongoTheSane

02 Apr 2018

Creativemind wrote:
02 Apr 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
31 Mar 2018

SY = Synth
SY LR = Synth Layered
SBR = Synth Brass

No, they were two different models, but since you're interested in the Roland Chorus (there are several models of them too) the 160 and the Alpha shared the same. And I was suggesting trying ReDominator because even though it's not an emulation of the 106, it shares some similarities with it.

Creativemind

03 Apr 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
02 Apr 2018
Creativemind wrote:
02 Apr 2018

No, they were two different models, but since you're interested in the Roland Chorus (there are several models of them too) the 160 and the Alpha shared the same. And I was suggesting trying ReDominator because even though it's not an emulation of the 106, it shares some similarities with it.
I've trialled ReDominator and find it a bit mediocre soundwise if I'm honest.

• Information