"Unbind" Tempo Grid?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
GRIFTY

10 Mar 2018

Is it possible to "re-tempo" a track without messing up the timing of the audio or midi clips? Often times I will record a record into my default track without setting the tempo, chop it by hand and set the loop markers, and make a beat right then and there. This will end up with my track tempo saying 120 bpm, but my 'real' track being more like 70-100; almost never anywhere close to 120 bpm.

My question is: is there a way to reset that tempo without messing up the beat? I'd like the grid to align with the actual beat.

afrodude

13 Mar 2018

right click and makre sure your samples all have 'disable stretch' then adjust bpm to match.
if this doesnt work (consolidate if needed) and bounce in place then right click and make sure you click 'disable stretch' then adjust bpm

GRIFTY

14 Mar 2018

I occasionally do this with my samples, but is there a way to do it with midi clips?

selig
RE Developer

14 Mar 2018

GRIFTY wrote:
14 Mar 2018
I occasionally do this with my samples, but is there a way to do it with midi clips?
Not directly - you would have to note the length in TIME of the clip, change tempo, then stretch the clip to restore it to the original length in time.
Selig Audio, LLC

GRIFTY

16 Mar 2018

it would be great to be able to do this! "disable stretch" for midi and bounce midi in place

GRIFTY

16 Mar 2018

selig wrote:
14 Mar 2018
stretch the clip to restore it to the original length in time.
how do you do this part?

GRIFTY

20 Mar 2018

GRIFTY wrote:
16 Mar 2018
selig wrote:
14 Mar 2018
stretch the clip to restore it to the original length in time.
how do you do this part?
I found this: viewtopic.php?t=7497794

Which contains this post:
WongoTheSane wrote:
27 Nov 2016
You can also stretch visually by Ctrl-clicking the right arrow at the end of the clip and moving it around (the cursor changes into a watch), but I'm almost certain it was introduced after 6.5. Can't remember exactly though, so it might be worth a try...

stretch.gif
Which works like a charm!

TL;DR
(On Windows) Hold control while dragging the edge of the clip and it will timestretch the midi clip.

10 years using reason and i never learned this hah!

• Information