Connecting Ableton and Reason

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
seqoi

06 Mar 2018

I am using Reason with Rewire in to Ableton but recently i wanted to move all Reason. Since it is not possible to use VST synths in Reason while ReWire is active i am looking to completely leave Ableton however i have few questions maybe someone solved these already.

I have some cool tools which work in Ableton. Such as Conductr (https://www.conductr.net/features/) and other performing software.

Until now i would simply send midi from Ableton to Reason via ReWire and that is working. But as i said i want to move to Reason completely.

MY question is it possible to run Reason as a main DAW and at the same time i would like to run Ableton and somehow send midi data from Ableton in to Reason. But the key here is not to use ReWire. Is that somehow possible? What is that Link thing or did anyone managed to do something like that via some internal software midi cabling etc.

Any tips where to look at?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2018

You may want to have a look at this thread as this is Reason to Reason on different machines but the setup would be the same really for Reason to Ableton etc.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7505861

The key that you are looking for is sending midi data out of Ableton. You then have a choice of how to get it into Reason, I know that I would use the Control Surface way rather than the advanced midi .. See this thread as well viewtopic.php?p=380970 note the video in the first reply.

The link thing is a bit like sending a sync clock and that's about it or that's about as far as I got with it :D

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Poly Madness
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

seqoi

06 Mar 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
06 Mar 2018
You may want to have a look at this thread as this is Reason to Reason on different machines but the setup would be the same really for Reason to Ableton etc.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7505861

The key that you are looking for is sending midi data out of Ableton. You then have a choice of how to get it into Reason, I know that I would use the Control Surface way rather than the advanced midi .. See this thread as well viewtopic.php?p=380970 note the video in the first reply.

The link thing is a bit like sending a sync clock and that's about it or that's about as far as I got with it :D

PoohBear
Thanks for your time and your links. I'll read articles later. Thank you again.

Oquasec

06 Mar 2018

I didn't pick up ableton till lableton link came out tbh.
They are both staying in my arsenal forever :)
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

seqoi

07 Mar 2018

Oquasec wrote:
06 Mar 2018
I didn't pick up ableton till lableton link came out tbh.
They are both staying in my arsenal forever :)
Yeah it's cool having both but i would like sometimes to work only in Reason.

Oquasec

07 Mar 2018

If I want to work in just Reason, I work in just reason.
I am not gonna be bothering with vst support in Reason since I wanna integrated live with reason for on the fly stuff sorta like how DJ's do.
Producer/Programmer.

seqoi

08 Mar 2018

Oquasec wrote:
07 Mar 2018
If I want to work in just Reason, I work in just reason.
I am not gonna be bothering with vst support in Reason since I wanna integrated live with reason for on the fly stuff sorta like how DJ's do.
I mean what am i supposed to say for this (helpful?) response?

Since i opened this thread and monitor it i sorta feel obligated to respond. I explained why am i asking what i am asking and asked for help. Other joined and helped. I appreciate that and kinda think this is purpose of public forum. If you feel i am doing something stupid you can pass. Superior internet bullying syndrome is not what i am after for.

I have yet to understand why people like yourself expect someone else (me in this particular example) to behave and work the same way you work? "stuff sorta like how DJ's do"? Well i am not DJ and i did not said that? Even though i have yet to see any well known DJ to work the same way as someone else plus in music and creativity there is no right or wrong.

If you where just throwing your response for some other reason (should i be amazed you do stuff like "sorta like how DJ's do"?) then again not fair. To each their own i can only say thanks for nothing. Mute function is there thankfully.

Oquasec

08 Mar 2018

If you wanna use vsts in combinators you can.
If you want midi channels you, can, using vsts that have that.
If you want other workflows, you can rewire.
If you don't, you don't have to

There is a workflow for everything. Limiting yourself to one daw is your choice to make and all you need is one daw to do stuff.
Producer/Programmer.

• Information