Issue with Transient Shaper + M/S processing technique

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
PhillipOrdonez

24 Feb 2018

Alright guys, I will try to explain this the best I can:

Like many of you, probably, I too like doing mid/side processing on my master channel... There is a technique which involves reducing the transients to the side channel, however in practice, I can't seem to get it to work on Reason without negatively affecting the stereo width.

I use the Red Rock sound's RE 181 and do lots of multiband processing aided by Elements Splitter RE, and then use line mixers to mix them back before going back to RE 181, and it i in this step (between the mixer and RE181) that I have been trying to insert a transient shaper (Tried first with Neutron, and then with Kong, they are the only two devices I have that come with a transient shaper). There is where things go wrong for me, because, yes, the transients on the side channel get reduced, dope, but the stereo width is nothing like it was before...

Am I doing something wrong? Should I use different tools? I just tried with synchronous, however that is very limited and wouldn't catch the transients of things happening in the offbeat if I used the pumping effects in it and yeah, that is cool, but that is not what I was aiming for?

Thanks for reading!

Loque

25 Feb 2018

I guess you have a passing issue. If you split the signal you need to have the same devices on mid AND side. Reason does not PDC in your fx chain.

Just put the same devices on mid and let them do nothing, do not bypass them.
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

02 Mar 2018

Loque wrote:
25 Feb 2018
I guess you have a passing issue. If you split the signal you need to have the same devices on mid AND side. Reason does not PDC in your fx chain.

That makes sense, Loque. I added the same effect to the mid chain on a simple test. Here is the result: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck5jneinpjqpl ... 1.wav?dl=0

First chord has no mid side processing, second chord has it. Can you tell any difference in width?

Loque

02 Mar 2018

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Mar 2018
Loque wrote:
25 Feb 2018

That makes sense, Loque. I added the same effect to the mid chain on a simple test. Here is the result: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck5jneinpjqpl ... 1.wav?dl=0

First chord has no mid side processing, second chord has it. Can you tell any difference in width?
Sry, i meant "phasing" issue - stupid autocorrection :mrgreen:

To me your example sounds ok.
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

02 Mar 2018

Loque wrote:
02 Mar 2018

Sry, i meant "phasing" issue - stupid autocorrection :mrgreen:
Of course.

• Information