How to make industrial-new wave beats?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
LordLarsa

10 Feb 2018

Hello,

I just got Reason 10, but I use Reason since more than ten years. I'm not much into technic, but I compose. I totally hate creating beats, I'm bad at it, and I always want something specific that I never get (cause lack of technic I think). I want to orientate my beats in that kind of new-wave and industrial sounds Please someone could give me indications or advices how to realize that kind of sound? I'm very bad at Kong, so I prefere to use Octo rex and then modify with modules effects but which ones would be appropriated? Exemple of that kind of beats:

or that, about the same beat:

Thanks if you can orientate me to some modules/effects in order to get that kind of beats, it would be great!

Lise

Oquasec

10 Feb 2018

You can kinda tell what the track is made out of just by listening to it.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

LordLarsa

10 Feb 2018

Hi, good but I can't myself , I mean especially for the beats (my problem). Would it be possible for you to give me some indications?

wishMachine

10 Feb 2018

Try going through the individual samples in the Drum Supply refill. Most music of that ilk tends to ignore sounds that are trying to sound like actual drum sounds and favours sounds that are clearly digital (this is why I love electronic music personally). There is a very large collection of sounds available to you in the Drum Supply Refill. Bd_ip_attack and Sd_dbh_test are very good examples. There are others. Trial some of these sounds, it may seem like a massive pita at first, but you'll thank yourself later when you start programming drum tracks.

You can easily create a 4 on the floor loop in Redrum by using it's sequencer, then just leave that running until you figure out how to build the drum track you actually want.
:reason: 10 :record: :refill: :ignition: :re:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2018

If I were you I would practise making your own beats in either Kong or Redrum, whatever you prefer. Be patient. It might take a while, but I think it'll be worth spending time on to get a basic understanding of how to create your own drum patterns/beats. You'll get more control over your drums compared to just using loops.

Perhaps start making beats without expecting a certain outcome/style. View it more as an experiment to see what works and what doesn't. Have fun with it. It might not end up in the style you wanted but after you've created a number of different beats you'll start to see patterns, what works and what doesn't. Give it time. Treat it like learning a new instrument. You wouldn't expect to become a professional player after a week of playing.

Octo rex can be useful for some things but it's not a very good drum teacher as it doesn't explain what is going on. If you look at a Octo rex loop in the sequencer for example it's impossible to see what is happening.

So that's my advice. Practise making lots of beats. Experiment and have fun without expecting a certain outcome. You'll get there in time.

demt

11 Feb 2018

How much is that drum machine sequencer is a learning curve and trigger finger pro is,,2 to 3 hundred quid and breaktweaker a couple of hundred I tell you their interface has built in examples of the beats ,music you want
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

challism

11 Feb 2018

The beats are pretty simple here. 4/4 time. Bass drum (1), Snare drum (2), Bass drum (3), Snare drum (4), repeat. Sounds like most of the instruments are sounding righ on beat (ie, not any shuffle or triplets to worry about). This is very basic/simple music. I would suggest ripping the audio to disk and importing it into an audio track. Then try to match the elements and timing of the song with your chosen Reason devices/sounds. Plenty of choices in Reason 10 to make industrial sounds via Grain and Europa. Europa would actually be great for this type of gothic synth bass.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Micha1973

11 Feb 2018

I make it with kong and some fx. there is now right answer how to make it. i think it´s the way you make samples go around.
so i make some things here

Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

LordLarsa

14 Feb 2018

Hey,

Thank you a lot for your answers! I agree that I should spend more time on learning how to handle the Redrum or Kong, anyway I do it time to time cause beats are so importants. I experiment. I will try what you told me, they are good advices, and I can see clearer about what those beats are made of . :)
I got the feeling Reason was not great for dark-indus sounds music, but maybe I'm wrong? I really like the new instruments Europa and Grain anyway, I'm sure there are interesting things to experiment there

selig
RE Developer

14 Feb 2018

LordLarsa wrote:…I got the feeling Reason was not great for dark-indus sounds music, but maybe I'm wrong? I really like the new instruments Europa and Grain anyway, I'm sure there are interesting things to experiment there
Reason has pretty much all the same tools used to make electronic music, especially from that era: analog type synths, FM synths, drum machines, samplers, digital delays and reverbs. It’s all there, but you do have to to be patient and go through the devices one by one if this is all new to you. :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information