Reverb freezing - great technique for Reason lovers

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
tobypearce

16 Jan 2018

Just been experimenting with Reverb freezing - making a reverb endless so that it just plays a continuous reverb tail. I love the results, and it's a great technique for Reason.

Here's how I did it:

Found nice sound with reverb.
Froze reverb.
Hooked up direct out from that track into the sampling input on the master mixer.
Sampled in redrum (or any other sampling device) for 10 seconds.
Hey presto - a lovely atmosphere to work with, right within Reason.

It makes a lovely background bed for a track (especially common technique in Techno), and can then be manipulated in the usual ways for further processing such as eq, sidechain, or creating movement with phasing.

Quite a tweaky thing to do, but also very easy so I thought others might like the technique too as that what lots of us like about Reason!

I'm sure you can use just about any reverb, including the RV7000. I used UVI's spark verb as it literally has a freeze button so you can hold the reverb indefinitely.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Bumbum

16 Jan 2018

What if.. you take that tail sample to grain and manipulate sanity out of it ;p

tobypearce

16 Jan 2018

Well that's the best idea I've heard all day.

So good, in fact, that I'll upload the reverb tail and attach it here. I haven't dug into Grain much yet, so I'm interested as to what can be done!

Thanks!!
Attachments
Sample 3.mp3.zip
(580.23 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

Bumbum

19 Jan 2018

tobypearce wrote:
16 Jan 2018

So good, in fact, that I'll upload the reverb tail and attach it here. I haven't dug into Grain much yet, so I'm interested as to what can be done!

Thanks!!
sounds fat,how did you use grain to end up with this result?

wishMachine

19 Jan 2018

Just wanted to thank both of you guys @tobypearce for the sampling of a reverb tail idea and @Bumbum for the suggestion to put it into Grain. The sounds I've been getting are truly beautiful! Thank you both.
:reason: 10 :record: :refill: :ignition: :re:

Wickline

20 Jan 2018

tobypearce wrote:Well that's the best idea I've heard all day.

Thanks!!
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

tobypearce

20 Jan 2018

I didn't pass this through grain yet - this is just the reverb tail!

@wishmachine I'm interested to see what you've come up with!

wishMachine

20 Jan 2018

tobypearce wrote:
20 Jan 2018
@wishmachine I'm interested to see what you've come up with!

This is the set up I have used to crate the files contained in the zip. I've also included the original reverb grab I made. There's a version of the Grain file as is and a version of the Grain file with Fritz added. Fritz helps lift the ambiance of the sound in this case (I think so anyway). I have used a touch of distortion to bring out some of the resonant harmonics and added in the Grain oscillator to give it some beef!

http://pixelmasochist.net/RVB Tail.zip

*edit: I haven't included the patch as the original reverb grab was 7MB and I'd probably have to share that as a self contained project to keep all the files intact.

selig
RE Developer

20 Jan 2018

Interesting - what I’ve always loved about grain processors is their ability to turn samples in to instant “ Frozen Reverb” patches rather than having to go through the extra steps of “freezing” a reverb and sampling it etc.

Proton’s first algorithm does this delightfully well, pretty much turning everything into a frozen reverb sound (one of the reasons additional algorithms were added!). [emoji6]

This post takes me back to the day I first sampled my PCM-70s frozen reverb into my Akai S900, and discovered by using the Mac sample editor I could loop the reverb around 700 ms long and create the perfect smooth loop of the reverb. This turns out to be the length of the Lexicon algorithm, which basically also has a built in crossfade loop. In other words, all you had to do was find the loop point, no crossfade needed, and you could create these beautiful looping reverb freezes that were actually less than 1 sec long - something that was important with limited RAM in the early samplers!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Bumbum

20 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
20 Jan 2018
Interesting - what I’ve always loved about grain processors is their ability to turn samples in to instant “ Frozen Reverb” patches rather than having to go through the extra steps of “freezing” a reverb and sampling it etc.
I would like to quote ancient philosopher Yngwie Malmsteen : " Less is more? how can that be? It's impossible... more is more!"

I cant say i could spot difference between frozen grain and resampled reverbtail but the process itself is part of experimentation and that way it has unique selfmade fingerprint in it :) nobody probably never finds out how it was done but who cares.

wishMachine

20 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
20 Jan 2018
This post takes me back to the day I first sampled my PCM-70s frozen reverb into my Akai S900, and discovered by using the Mac sample editor I could loop the reverb around 700 ms long and create the perfect smooth loop of the reverb. This turns out to be the length of the Lexicon algorithm, which basically also has a built in crossfade loop. In other words, all you had to do was find the loop point, no crossfade needed, and you could create these beautiful looping reverb freezes that were actually less than 1 sec long - something that was important with limited RAM in the early samplers!
It's amazing what you can achieve when you have limits. I used to create multi part drum loop samples on my Amiga using OctaMED. The 4 channel restriction forced me to come up with new ways of doing things. I'd spend some considerable time creating a kick + hat loop, a snare + hat loop and add the kick to the snare + hat loop. It took a while to get the tempo right at first, but this became something that I just did. Admittedly I had a friend with some decent hardware who was never adverse to allowing me to sample stuff. That helped build up the library...

Any way, back on topic. If you don't play, you don't discover. Putting the long tail in Grain has opened up some really good modulation options which I may have to delve into.

TheGodOfRainbows

24 Jan 2018

tobypearce wrote:
16 Jan 2018

Thanks!!
Great sound. It reminds me of 2001 A Space Odyssey, and Intersteller. The moment when you are falling through a 4th dimensional wormhole, and during the ride experiencing the most intense state of euphoria and astonishment possible. That moment, frozen in time.

• Information