Sampling Movie in Reason Question

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Nerveclinic

15 Jan 2018

So I would like to sample sounds, sound effects etc. from a movie for example that I have on my computer.

In the old days I plugged a VCR into the back of my Kurzweil K2000 sampler.

What is the best way and easiest way to do this with Reason? Are there any good You Tube tutorials?

Thanks

QVprod

15 Jan 2018

You can just extract the audio from the video using an audio converter like this one https://online-audio-converter.com/help ... from_video.

Or if you don't wan to deal with the huge file, you can just plug the outputs of your audio interface into the inputs, press record in Reason and play the part of the video you need.

Nerveclinic

15 Jan 2018

QVprod wrote:
15 Jan 2018

Or if you don't wan to deal with the huge file, you can just plug the outputs of your audio interface into the inputs, press record in Reason and play the part of the video you need.
So I don't understand this.

So for example, have the movie on my laptop. send it into the sound card for my iMac which will have reason. When you say "Press record in Reason" where do you do that? One of the samplers?

QVprod

15 Jan 2018

I'm assuming you have an external audio interface you use with your iMac, create an audio track set to the desired inputs and record arm it. Make sure monitoring (the speaker icon on the audio track) is off. You would be recording into the sequencer, the same as if you were recording anything else, and start the movie from the place you wish to start it. If you already have an arrangement going in the sequencer you can use an empty block. You can then bounce that to samples to load in whatever sampler you wish.

The samplers can also be used as well if you flip the rack around (Tab) and route the hardware interface inputs to the sampling input.

FrankJaeger

15 Jan 2018

The most simple way to do this I've found is to use Audio Hijack (you can google it). The free version gives you up to 10min of audio before they overlay noise over it. You just set it up to record from your computers internal audio and once you're done you have an instantly useable recording for your music. It also comes with Fx that you can put in the signal chain if I remember correctly.

The mac version gives you the option for uncompressed AIFF, AAC and high/low quality Mp3 so I assume the windows version will give you the same but maybe WAV instead of the AIFF.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

moneykube

15 Jan 2018

sound flower perhaps... it was free last I looked
https://soundflower.en.softonic.com/mac?ex=DSK-347.1
yep free
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

pushedbutton

15 Jan 2018

VLC media player can do some interesting stuff.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Nerveclinic

16 Jan 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
15 Jan 2018
Yeah but what do you use in Reason to record the sample from VLC?

Nerveclinic

16 Jan 2018

QVprod wrote:
15 Jan 2018
I'm assuming you have an external audio interface you use with your iMac, create an audio track set to the desired inputs and record arm it. Make sure monitoring (the speaker icon on the audio track) is off. You would be recording into the sequencer, the same as if you were recording anything else, and start the movie from the place you wish to start it. If you already have an arrangement going in the sequencer you can use an empty block. You can then bounce that to samples to load in whatever sampler you wish.

The samplers can also be used as well if you flip the rack around (Tab) and route the hardware interface inputs to the sampling input.
Why do you need to use an external sound card? (Scarlette 2i2) If the movie is on the iMac and Reason is on the iMac can't you do it somehow internally?

Nerveclinic

16 Jan 2018

FrankJaeger wrote:
15 Jan 2018
The most simple way to do this I've found is to use Audio Hijack (you can google it). The free version gives you up to 10min of audio before they overlay noise over it. You just set it up to record from your computers internal audio and once you're done you have an instantly useable recording for your music. It also comes with Fx that you can put in the signal chain if I remember correctly.

The mac version gives you the option for uncompressed AIFF, AAC and high/low quality Mp3 so I assume the windows version will give you the same but maybe WAV instead of the AIFF.
I'll check it out thanks...

QVprod

16 Jan 2018

Nerveclinic wrote:
16 Jan 2018
QVprod wrote:
15 Jan 2018

Why do you need to use an external sound card? (Scarlette 2i2) If the movie is on the iMac and Reason is on the iMac can't you do it somehow internally?
I simply mentioned the easiest solution for physical routing because in my experience people get confused with virtual routing. As mentioned by others above, if you want to audio route within the computer Audio Hijack or Soundflower will do the job. Of the 2 Audio Hijack is easier to set up and has a built in recorder.

Nerveclinic

18 Jan 2018

QVprod wrote:
16 Jan 2018
if you want to audio route within the computer Audio Hijack or Soundflower will do the job. Of the 2 Audio Hijack is easier to set up and has a built in recorder.
Thank you

eusti

18 Jan 2018

Nerveclinic wrote:
16 Jan 2018
pushedbutton wrote:
15 Jan 2018
Yeah but what do you use in Reason to record the sample from VLC?
You can (in a bit of a weird way) have VLC create a soundfile. You can just drag or import it into Reason.

D.

• Information