VIDEO: FL-Style Ghost Lanes/Channels in Reason's Sequencer!

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
-008'

03 Jan 2018

I responded to a thread the other day on this, but i realized...this really deserves its own thread..and video. :thumbs_up:

This example is for tuning the 808, to a chord progression, from the kick track!

:exclamation: Here is the original blog post with a few more details: https://sounds.doubleoeight.com/blogs/b ... -in-reason

I always saw the FL gang doing this and I searched and tried forever until I finally figured it out. (You know how I do it)
I really hope this helps somebody, I know I was hyped to discover this!
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Loque

03 Jan 2018

Nice workaround for overdued feature. Thx.
Reason12, Win10

WillyOD

03 Jan 2018

So muting hides the top layers? Great tip! Like the top-10 Reason tips ever. Thanks, 008'!
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

stratatonic

03 Jan 2018

Good to have the visual for pitch and timing. Thanks.

You can toggle the clip's Mute on and off in Edit Mode with sequencer running to hear your changes as you are shifting..

It works in 8.3 as well.

riemac

04 Jan 2018

-008' wrote:
03 Jan 2018
I responded to a thread the other day on this, but i realized...this really deserves its own thread..and video. :thumbs_up:

This example is for tuning the 808, to a chord progression, from the kick track!

:exclamation: Here is the original blog post with a few more details: https://sounds.doubleoeight.com/blogs/b ... -in-reason

I always saw the FL gang doing this and I searched and tried forever until I finally figured it out. (You know how I do it)
Thank you so much for this tipp, I was searching for something like this for so long!

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2018

I thought this was already well known.

Either way, a thread for it is probably a good idea!

-008'

04 Jan 2018

:mrgreen: everyone else: I knew this would help some folks and I'm glad, thanks alot for the comments!
aeox wrote:
04 Jan 2018
Does it really seem like it was that well known though? And If you actually knew, where were you in all the threads asking about it!?
You skipped all those seeking knowledge, but landed in the one sharing it? OK. lol there was one a few days ago even!

It's easy for someone to say that here and now, but you would have to point me to where you ever shared or first learned the info... because I've never seen one person ever mention how to do this and people have been asking for it since FL had it.. since the PUF probably. I never saw anything in the manual either. so IDK when they would've figured it out. :?

Anyway, I found it by brute force, just trying to make it work like they have in FL. That might be the same way someone else found it, but i actually shared the knowledge. It's all good either way! I couldn't be happier to have it now :thumbs_up:

and it's all peace and love man, im not mad or anything, just verbose! :lol:
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

CaliforniaBurrito

04 Jan 2018

I didn't know about this and it could save me the time of looking back and forth at clips. Nice workflow update! :)

eusti

04 Jan 2018

Nice!!! Thank you very much! :)

D.

botnotbot

04 Jan 2018

Thank you so much for this. Great workaround while we wait for true multi clip editing to arrive!

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2018

-008' wrote:
04 Jan 2018
:mrgreen: everyone else: I knew this would help some folks and I'm glad, thanks alot for the comments!
aeox wrote:
04 Jan 2018
Does it really seem like it was that well known though? And If you actually knew, where were you in all the threads asking about it!?
You skipped all those seeking knowledge, but landed in the one sharing it? OK. lol there was one a few days ago even!

It's easy for someone to say that here and now, but you would have to point me to where you ever shared or first learned the info... because I've never seen one person ever mention how to do this and people have been asking for it since FL had it.. since the PUF probably. I never saw anything in the manual either. so IDK when they would've figured it out. :?

Anyway, I found it by brute force, just trying to make it work like they have in FL. That might be the same way someone else found it, but i actually shared the knowledge. It's all good either way! I couldn't be happier to have it now :thumbs_up:

Just figured it out on accident one day. I miss a lot of stuff on this forum because I only click on "New Posts" and read stuff from there.

Also, i don't even use this technique. I use my ears.

SoulState

04 Jan 2018

Great tip. Didn't know I needed this (ghost midi) till now.
Best work-around I've heard in loooong time. Cheers.
:reason:

antic604

05 Jan 2018

Great find, thanks a lot!!! <3

Now, since we know it can work graphically, Props really have no reason to implement it properly: select 2+ clips/tracks, enter Edit mode, provide toggle for selecting which clip(s)/track(s) are editable.

QVprod

05 Jan 2018

Awesome find! Would've never thought that would work. We can point people to this solution now.

WongoTheSane

05 Jan 2018

Slap me with a trout and call me Shirley, that's super convenient!! At last!! Thanks 008!

-008'

09 Jan 2018

thanks again guys (and shirley). I'm really glad it's useful! :thumbs_up:

I was thinking again how props could really do a great version of this feature... for example: maybe you could right click any clip and "designate ghost" and then have an option to "show/hide ghost" on: tracks, clips, sequencers? Kind of how we right click a clip to "get groove" in ReGroove. What do you guys think about that?

Ahornberg

09 Jan 2018

Great! Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing!

AttenuationHz

09 Jan 2018

Well now... Nice find indeed. :thumbup:
aeox wrote:
04 Jan 2018

I've been using reason for a long time and didn't know about this I'm sure others using it longer didn't either! There has been threads requesting it probably a good idea to start browsing the forums instead of leaving everyone ignorant to your knowledge.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

selig
RE Developer

09 Jan 2018

-008' wrote:
04 Jan 2018
aeox wrote:
04 Jan 2018

I would have said the same, that this was fairly well known…
There have been several folks who have mentioned/demonstrated this technique over the years on the old PUF, but none anywhere near as elegant as your method. Because of the severely clunky demonstrations in the past I've never been inclined to try this route before now, so thanks 008 - you made it so simple!

But yes, it could be implemented as a feature to make this obvious way of working even easier IMO. Even simply being able to see two tracks at once would solve many of my frustrations with Reason's sequencer. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

stratatonic

10 Jan 2018

selig wrote:
09 Jan 2018

I would have said the same, that this was fairly well known…
There have been several folks who have mentioned/demonstrated this technique over the years on the old PUF
Yet another reason why shutting down the PUF was a stupid ass mistake. So much knowledge over the years - vaporized. Propellerhead should have at least kept the Search function for users.

tobypearce

10 Jan 2018

Brill. Thanks.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

FrankJaeger

15 Jan 2018

-008' wrote:
03 Jan 2018

Thanks for this -008.

I have a question for you. I saw on the video that you're selling a Parsec refill for Pads and Keys (the 2 things that I'm ALWAYS looking for more of) but on the buy page it says Reason 10 only. Is there some reason that it won't work on 9.5? If it's just Parsec, which I have, shouldn't it be okay with 9.5 as well?

Thanks again for the ghost note tip.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

-008'

15 Jan 2018

FrankJaeger wrote:
15 Jan 2018
Thanks for this -008.

I have a question for you. I saw on the video that you're selling a Parsec refill for Pads and Keys (the 2 things that I'm ALWAYS looking for more of) but on the buy page it says Reason 10 only. Is there some reason that it won't work on 9.5? If it's just Parsec, which I have, shouldn't it be okay with 9.5 as well?

Thanks again for the ghost note tip.
Hi Frank!

Honestly, I am really not sure if it would work in 9.5. I know that It SHOULD.

I have been burned in the past by combinators and stuff, or ReFill packer.. (dont recall) so now, I just make clear what version that i used. :thumbs_up: :lol:

tobypearce

20 Jan 2018

This is superb - it's incredibly useful.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

• Information