Cloning functionalities of these Ableton MIDI effects

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
seqoi

31 Dec 2017

Hello. Someone more skilled might know the answer.

Are there any RE's or setup which can mimic and clone functionalities of these Ableton devices (see image attached).

Ableton devices are called Random and Scale. Both are MIDI effects meant to be in front of any instrument. So when i throw a sequence in front of them (midi clip or sequencer like in my screenshot) - all midi notes coming at them are firstly randomized in range of respected values but to not make it out of scale i am placing Scale plugin with scale definition after Random plugin.

Makes experimenting with sequences ton of fun.

For now i am simply using ReWire Ableton and Reason and it works but i would like to keep it Reason only.

So wondering is there a chance where i could have this situation

Matrix connected to Reason Instrument throwing sequence but after Matrix signal goes to some random midi note generator which is randomizing my notes and after that it goes to some sort of Scale device and then goes to instrument?

Basically like in Ableton screenshot.

Cheers and happy new year to anyone. I wish you plenty of nice music and health :)

edit: i am adding Ableton device description and link here so possibly someone could pinpoint RE i want more clearly.

Ableton Random: Random adds an element of the unknown to the otherwise commonplace pitch parameter. The Chance control defines the likelihood that an incoming note’s pitch will be changed by a random value. You can think of it as being something like a dry/wet control for randomness.

The random value that determines the pitch change is created by two variables: The Choices control defines the number of different random notes possible, from a range of 1 to 24; the Scale control value is multiplied by the Choices control value, and the result dictates the pitches that random notes are allowed to have relative to that of the incoming note.

For example, if you play the note C3 with Chance set to 50 percent, Choices set to 1 and Scale set to 12, half of the resulting notes will play at C3 and half will play at C4. But with Chance set to 50 percent, Choices set to 12 and Scale set to 1, half of the resulting notes will play at C3 and half will play at one of any semitone that is between C#3 and C4.

Ableton Scale:

Scale alters incoming note pitch based on a scale mapping. Each incoming note is given an outgoing equivalent on the X-Y scale map of the effect: All incoming Cs, for example, might be converted to outgoing Ds.

The X-Y scale map is 12 squares in length and width, corresponding to the 12 notes in a full octave. Darker squares represent the black keys on a keyboard. The base of the diagonal scale (the lower left square) shown on the map can be changed using the Base control. The X-axis of the map shows incoming note values, and the Y-axis their outgoing equivalents. Use mouse-clicks to move or delete the orange squares, which define where an incoming note will be sent on the scale. (Deleting a note on the scale map means that it will no longer play.)

More info here: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/live- ... reference/
Attachments
ableton_devices.jpg
ableton_devices.jpg (92.24 KiB) Viewed 768 times

Ahornberg

31 Dec 2017

I would rewire Reason into Live and use the original Ableton MIDI effects.
In Reason I would record the MIDI data sent from Live and the effects.
Then I would start Reason standalone to complete the song.

But to get similar functionalities inside Reason (beneath the Players, Matrix, RPG-8, Thor's sequencer) there are a lot of REs for that. To build an exact clone someone has to know what's exactly going on inside the Ableton MIDI effects and all the available REs in Reason with the risk that one or the other feature will not be possible to clone.

I use Rewire (as described above) to make use of a special plugin that only runs inside Reaper and it works fine.

seqoi

31 Dec 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
31 Dec 2017
I would rewire Reason into Live and use the original Ableton MIDI effects.
In Reason I would record the MIDI data sent from Live and the effects.
Then I would start Reason standalone to complete the song.

But to get similar functionalities inside Reason (beneath the Players, Matrix, RPG-8, Thor's sequencer) there are a lot of REs for that. To build an exact clone someone has to know what's exactly going on inside the Ableton MIDI effects and all the available REs in Reason with the risk that one or the other feature will not be possible to clone.

I use Rewire (as described above) to make use of a special plugin that only runs inside Reaper and it works fine.
I said i already use rewire and asking for sameish functionality in RE. You said there are a lot of RE devices to do that. Ok. I can't find them in store (maybe they are in some specific category). Which ones? If there is a lot of them can you please point at least dunno 4-6 of them so i can try them.

dpcoffin

31 Dec 2017

Brilliant list, thought I'd found them all, but…no; thank you!

seqoi

02 Jan 2018

Thanks for pointing out list. Yeah i don't want to turn out ungrateful i really honestly thank you for your time and i apologize for not being clear I did not asked for sequencers but i was really more into (i said i asking someone more skilled) this type of answer:

To entirely or partly clone Random device you use RE: someREname
To clone scale you use RE : someRename (that CVTuner from your list could be the right thing)

antic604

03 Jan 2018

You can use native Reason's devices:

- Note Echo without repeats and step = zero, put into Combinator to randomly modulate its Pitch using eg. a Pulsar will generate random notes "around" what's playing in sequencer

- Scale & Chords will generate chords from that single note

BTW, you're approach of 'cloning' the devices functionality is absurd - you're using different DAW, then use what it has to its full potential. Those two devices I mentioned can do so much more. And they can be further connected with countless others.

• Information