VCV RACK - Setting up with Reason

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
UChannel

28 Dec 2017

Hi guys,

I am trying to record VCV Rack sound in Reason 9.

So far I have External MIDI Instrument open in Reason and I have enabled IAC Driver Bus on my Mac.
I can hear the sound when External MIDI Instrument is selected as Reason Sequencer track and I can record the MIDI information onto that track,
but I don't know how to record the audio from it to preserve the sound.

Does anybody know how to achieve this?

many thanks

V

MannequinRaces

31 Dec 2017

Wait until VCV Rack 0.6 comes out and then you can use it as a VST in Reason assuming you are on 9.5. Or check out Dante Via for audio routing (free trial) https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via

Catblack

31 Dec 2017

It's getting VST support in .60? That's great news.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

MannequinRaces

01 Jan 2018

I knew it was going to be soon. Hopefully January. Haven't messed around with the current version too much yet but it will be very nice once it's available inside of Reason as a VST.

MarkTarlton

01 Jan 2018

I have been digging vcv with ableton live's link option. just download the free vcv plug in first.

it will also let you sync two different computers using vcv with wlan/lan.

UChannel

01 Jan 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
31 Dec 2017
Wait until VCV Rack 0.6 comes out and then you can use it as a VST in Reason assuming you are on 9.5. Or check out Dante Via for audio routing (free trial) https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via
great news!
thanks

AttenuationHz

01 Jan 2018

Oh .6 thought it was v1 VST support! Supposed to be nov/dec anyway. I read that all the VST bridge is going to do is give you the ability to send the audio to your DAW you still open the program in standalone. JACK can also do this currently and that is also open source so I'd reckon some form of that will be in with the VST bridge. I tried to set up JACK a few times and it would never work for me, Will check out the one posted there myself, Thanks.

We're all using Reason as the sequencer for VCV currently right? Gate/Note/LFO/Modulation....

v0.5.1 is really nice there was a good few more devices added Vult kick Synth's are pretty great. There is a thread in Hardware for VCVrack and there seems to be a few interested in it here in this thread. Just saying lets keep the interest going... There is a few modules that you just don't really need and some that don't work 100% also, be interesting to see what set ups you all came up with and or patches.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

UChannel

01 Jan 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Jan 2018
Oh .6 thought it was v1 VST support! Supposed to be nov/dec anyway. I read that all the VST bridge is going to do is give you the ability to send the audio to your DAW you still open the program in standalone. JACK can also do this currently and that is also open source so I'd reckon some form of that will be in with the VST bridge. I tried to set up JACK a few times and it would never work for me, Will check out the one posted there myself, Thanks.

We're all using Reason as the sequencer for VCV currently right? Gate/Note/LFO/Modulation....

v0.5.1 is really nice there was a good few more devices added Vult kick Synth's are pretty great. There is a thread in Hardware for VCVrack and there seems to be a few interested in it here in this thread. Just saying lets keep the interest going... There is a few modules that you just don't really need and some that don't work 100% also, be interesting to see what set ups you all came up with and or patches.
I've recently discovered that I can use Reason as sequencer for VCV with External MIDI by making IAC Driver Bus online. I just wish I can record the audio in Reason.
Tried Audio Hijack, Soundflower, couldn't get it to work.

AttenuationHz

01 Jan 2018

UChannel wrote:
01 Jan 2018
AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Jan 2018

I've recently discovered that I can use Reason as sequencer for VCV with External MIDI by making IAC Driver Bus online. I just wish I can record the audio in Reason.
Tried Audio Hijack, Soundflower, couldn't get it to work.
LoopMIDI works a treat on windows.

Here's a video doing it with JACK into reaper would be the same principle. One thing that you need to do in Reason is make sure the engine in VCV is using the same sample rate as what is set in reason for the gates/LFO etc otherwise it gets buggy.

It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

01 Jan 2018

What would the equivalent be in VCVrack?

Just looking to limit/set high+low points of LFO's. Was trying it with the Befaco Attenuvetor but doesn't work the same. Just looking at the Trimmer part of the line processor.

MarkTarlton

01 Jan 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Jan 2018

Just looking to limit/set high+low points of LFO's. Was trying it with the Befaco Attenuvetor but doesn't work the same. Just looking at the Trimmer part of the line processor.

you can try running the lfo into the fundamental vca, and the volume control will be your trimmer

AttenuationHz

01 Jan 2018

MarkTarlton wrote:
01 Jan 2018
AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Jan 2018

you can try running the lfo into the fundamental vca, and the volume control will be your trimmer
Looking to trim the high/low points only so if its a sine for instance it wont go over the set value e.g. a ±5v lfo will still be the sine lfo but after the trim it will be -3/+5 or 0/+3 etc want to modulate cut off's but without going below a certain amount or above. The VCA thing will come in handy though!

UChannel

01 Jan 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Jan 2018
MarkTarlton wrote:
01 Jan 2018

Looking to trim the high/low points only so if its a sine for instance it wont go over the set value e.g. a ±5v lfo will still be the sine lfo but after the trim it will be -3/+5 or 0/+3 etc want to modulate cut off's but without going below a certain amount or above. The VCA thing will come in handy though!
I'm not sure if I get you right, but I think you could use Combinator's Programmer to limit the values of the knobs in Reason.

btw, I'm on Mac..

UChannel

01 Jan 2018

[/quote]
Here's a video doing it with JACK into reaper would be the same principle. One thing that you need to do in Reason is make sure the engine in VCV is using the same sample rate as what is set in reason for the gates/LFO etc otherwise it gets buggy.

[/quote]

can you do this in Reason?
I am using M-Audio, aggregated with Jupiter 50 keyboard.

AttenuationHz

02 Jan 2018

UChannel wrote:
01 Jan 2018

I'm not sure if I get you right, but I think you could use Combinator's Programmer to limit the values of the knobs in Reason.

btw, I'm on Mac..
Looking to do this as opposed to changing the level with a VCA.

UChannel wrote:
01 Jan 2018

I've tried. Doesn't work with ReaRoute unless Reaper is being used I'd say. Tried with my normal soundcard also couldn't get it to work maybe others will have better luck. Won't be long for the VST bridge though. After that is added there will be loads more interest in VCV I reckon. The kick modules are just lacking finesse of proper audio fx Compression/EQ etc.

UChannel

02 Jan 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:
02 Jan 2018
UChannel wrote:
01 Jan 2018

btw, I'm on Mac..

UChannel wrote:
01 Jan 2018

I've tried. Doesn't work with ReaRoute unless Reaper is being used I'd say. Tried with my normal soundcard also couldn't get it to work maybe others will have better luck. Won't be long for the VST bridge though. After that is added there will be loads more interest in VCV I reckon. The kick modules are just lacking finesse of proper audio fx Compression/EQ etc.
I see.
As I said, I know that you can put those devices in combinator and assign knobs in programmer with desirable value. Now, how will you connect them to VCV knobs I am not sure.
As for the compressor, I have seen a compressor module for VCV.

AttenuationHz

02 Jan 2018

UChannel wrote:
02 Jan 2018
AttenuationHz wrote:
02 Jan 2018

I see.
As I said, I know that you can put those devices in combinator and assign knobs in programmer with desirable value. Now, how will you connect them to VCV knobs I am not sure.
As for the compressor, I have seen a compressor module for VCV.

I have that compressor module didn't think it was great. I'd be looking to do this only in VCVrack I can do it with the line processor currently. Want to make a song using VCV only and not use Reasons sequencer.

There is a few Modules from AS (Alfredo Santamaria) that I think some are pretty good, look great too, The delay is fairly decent.

MannequinRaces

04 Jan 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Jan 2018
Oh .6 thought it was v1 VST support! Supposed to be nov/dec anyway. I read that all the VST bridge is going to do is give you the ability to send the audio to your DAW you still open the program in standalone.
Ahhh, I wasn't sure about that part. I was hoping it'd open in Reason so we could send CV into it and control some things that way but standalone and audio in will still be nice. Haven't had time to mess around much with VCV Rack but am definitely keeping an eye on its maturation as it gets closer to a V1 release.

AttenuationHz

04 Jan 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
04 Jan 2018
AttenuationHz wrote:
01 Jan 2018
Oh .6 thought it was v1 VST support! Supposed to be nov/dec anyway. I read that all the VST bridge is going to do is give you the ability to send the audio to your DAW you still open the program in standalone.
Ahhh, I wasn't sure about that part. I was hoping it'd open in Reason so we could send CV into it and control some things that way but standalone and audio in will still be nice. Haven't had time to mess around much with VCV Rack but am definitely keeping an eye on its maturation as it gets closer to a V1 release.
You can already send CV into it!

cheokeh3

09 Jan 2018

Any one running VCV Rack in Reason? Method?

Tried a few different ways with varying results looking for new direction with this marvellous modular...

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2018

There are a few threads on the forum do a search for them.

Here's one viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7503052

A VST wrapper is meant to be on it's way.

You can send midi to VCV via EMI and a loopback..

AttenuationHz

09 Jan 2018

\^^

You can send Reasons sequencer to VCVrack but its a lot harder to send Audio from VCV to Reason some say use JACK but I have never been able to get that working in Reason myself ever. I have not seen any videos relating to audio in Reason but there are plenty sending CV/Note/LFO's from Reason. I use LoopMIDI myself. But the Syncing is somewhat unreliable if the the samples rates of VCVrack and Reason are not the same. Both Engine and the Audio device need to match Reasons or Vice Versa. If you launch LoopMIDI/VCVrack then Reason, Reason will use VCV's audio device sample rate provided it is set to ASIO. If you are using Direct Sound or WASAPI you have to make sure the Rates match otherwise you will get dropouts of gates etc.

The VST bridge will allow you to get audio from VCV into any DAW and was expected by v1/Nov or Dec but is being released now in v0.6 which will be the next version or the one after. VCV is expected to be able to host VST's by v0.7 but no promises by the developer on hosting VST's just said it may be a possibility. The VST bridge will only send audio VCVrack will still have to be launched and you should be able to have any amount of instances of the VST bridge in your DAW if that means multiple Audio devices in 1 instance of VCV or multiple windows I'd probably guess it would be multiple Audio devices using some form of JACK internally.

There probably is a way to send Audio but with the VST bridge being the next version or the one after I have not bothered finding out how to do it or if anyone has done so but by all means post the solution if you come across it yourself.

chimp_spanner

11 Jan 2018

ATM I use VCV rack with a second USB interface and have it connected to the line inputs and MIDI of my primary interface. Great solution for now, at least until the VST bridge comes out. I can understand why it's not multi-instance. VCV can get really hungry and tbh I can't imagine running more than one. But certainly it'll make it easier to record/print to a track and then overdub.

The more I mess with VCV the more impressed I am. The modulation rates and the overall sound of it is just insane. And it's free. I feel this is another good time to request some truly eurorack style REs for Reason ;)

AttenuationHz

11 Jan 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
11 Jan 2018
ATM I use VCV rack with a second USB interface and have it connected to the line inputs and MIDI of my primary interface. Great solution for now, at least until the VST bridge comes out. I can understand why it's not multi-instance. VCV can get really hungry and tbh I can't imagine running more than one. But certainly it'll make it easier to record/print to a track and then overdub.

The more I mess with VCV the more impressed I am. The modulation rates and the overall sound of it is just insane. And it's free. I feel this is another good time to request some truly eurorack style REs for Reason ;)
You don't use EMI/LoopMIDI or similar directly? Any benefit to that?

chimp_spanner

11 Jan 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:
11 Jan 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
11 Jan 2018

You don't use EMI/LoopMIDI or similar directly? Any benefit to that?
Don't know if there's a benefit as such, beyond the fact that I get to use my interfaces audio driver (and virtual mix console). Other times when I've tried to use third party drivers, I end up not having access to all my physical inputs. This way I just get to use the interface like normal and sample it into Reason, either on an audio track or into Grain, NN, etc. by line input. Seems the most elegant solution to me but of course, it requires two interfaces. If you don't already have that...well I dunno. I'd still say it's worth getting one! Cheaper than buying an actual Eurorack still haha. My secondary interface is a KA6. Amazing little card.

• Information