Overlapping audio tracks inverted?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Re8et
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2017

When overlap a sample with the next one, the second one goes up as one layer, but how
can you/we choose the tail of the first sample to go over the second one in the same audio track???
It may look like a basic silly question but actually I'm not able to do it.... :puf_unhappy:

AttenuationHz

27 Dec 2017

Re8et wrote:
27 Dec 2017
When overlap a sample with the next one, the second one goes up as one layer, but how
can you/we choose the tail of the first sample to go over the second one in the same audio track???
It may look like a basic silly question but actually I'm not able to do it.... :puf_unhappy:
If you want to layer samples with the tail of one only you can use attack and sample start. Where do you want to do this though? On the sequencer as audio, in a Kong, NN-XT/NN19? Its not too clear the question. If i'm layering a kick for instance I usually use EQ or filter to get the low end/sub of one and highend with the click for the other. Doing this with EQ/Filters is easier and can sound more natural than using the attack or sample start.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Re8et
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2017

stem 1.JPG
stem 1.JPG (100.25 KiB) Viewed 942 times
I want to get rid of the Synth attack, but the sample start goes always over the last one.
If I edit it, I can stretch the beginning away, but it will change the tempo.
Should I add a parallel audio track and automate the beginning and ends individually??
Thats a long route, any idea???
stem 2.JPG
stem 2.JPG (204.34 KiB) Viewed 942 times

Re8et
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Dec 2017

If you want to layer samples with the tail of one only you can use attack and sample start. Where do you want to do this though? On the sequencer as audio, in a Kong, NN-XT/NN19? Its not too clear the question. If i'm layering a kick for instance I usually use EQ or filter to get the low end/sub of one and highend with the click for the other. Doing this with EQ/Filters is easier and can sound more natural than using the attack or sample start.
I want to do it in the same audio lane, but as you suggest, I should layer the as separate with sample autom, I just think it;s a cumbersome approach, and wondering how the sample crossfading works, if that can be or simply not.

AttenuationHz

27 Dec 2017

Re8et wrote:
27 Dec 2017
stem 1.JPG

I want to get rid of the Synth attack, but the sample start goes always over the last one.
If I edit it, I can stretch the beginning away, but it will change the tempo.
Should I add a parallel audio track and automate the beginning and ends individually??
Thats a long route, any idea???

stem 2.JPG
Use an audio gate, I use G8 Gate myself.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Re8et
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Dec 2017

Use an audio gate, I use G8 Gate myself.
Tnx, know of any vid tutorial that covers that???
I got G8 but I have no idea where to start...

Re8et
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2017

Like this??? It does it, tnx! edit, no, not really, I still ear the attack/pop..
g8 stem 1.JPG
g8 stem 1.JPG (224.21 KiB) Viewed 935 times
g8 stem 2.JPG
g8 stem 2.JPG (177.51 KiB) Viewed 935 times

AttenuationHz

27 Dec 2017

Ah cool. A gate works kinda like a compressor. The threshold sets the gate. The rest attack hold and release work the same as they would on an envelope for that synth. The attack sets the attack time hold holds that sound once attack has finished and release fades it out. The reduction on the G8 would blend the dry signal back in. Invert or "Flip" as it is called inverts the gate turning the threshold into a kind of ducking/reverse compressor effect. ( actually use flip a lot on hats, sounds cool) You can use the lookahead to introduce delay comp to lookahead of the signal might get rid of pop, Usually caused by too high a threshold or too low an attack though! Hold can also get rid of that when use in conjunction with lookahead.

If you have FabFilter G VST, I found that to be pretty great much better attack than G8. Also there is a gate on that waves compressor that was free a while back "Audio" or something if you got that, not too sure how that sounds though.

Ahornberg

27 Dec 2017

select both audio clips, then right click and choose "Join Clips" ... now you have one large clip

now double click on the clip or click on the "Comp Edit" button, then you can edit a crossfade between both original clips

Re8et
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2017

It acts strange with multiple clips, it's like jumping one between the other....
But thanks a lot, it really should be this way!

See what I mean
STEM EDIT.JPG
STEM EDIT.JPG (157.46 KiB) Viewed 916 times
Before this I found the Solo auto gain function of SPEM to be way better than G8 method, automating alternate solo.
SPEM STEM1.JPG
SPEM STEM1.JPG (149.07 KiB) Viewed 916 times
SPEM STEM2.JPG
SPEM STEM2.JPG (63.55 KiB) Viewed 916 times

Ahornberg

27 Dec 2017

It takes some time to learn how to use Comp Edit. The best is to take two totally different samples and practice every feature mentioned in the manual to get a feel for it. Then add a third sample and start from scratch.

In most cases it's easier to use two separate audio tracks instead of messing around with Comp Edit.

Re8et
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2017

Success! Tnx Ahornberg!!
STEM EDIT final.JPG
STEM EDIT final.JPG (130.05 KiB) Viewed 911 times

• Information