How to edit several tracks simultaneously in Reason 9?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
el_pancho

27 Nov 2017

Hi,

I am thinking of recording some drums with 4 mics, and I am having a hard time finding the way to edit several audio tracks simultaneously in Reason 9. If this updated in Reason 10? I mean, can you clip, move around several tracks simultaneously in Reason 10?
Cheers!.

WillyOD

28 Nov 2017

You can only do limited moving within the sequencer. While editing audio, nope, also doing anything on multiple tracks is currently very bothersome or just plain impossible. Even with MIDI stuff, there's no ghost notes or layering. You have to do everything manually and bit by bit.

If you can't find a way to do it, there's probably none: Audio editing features in Reason are still limited. Maybe Reason 11. Hopefully 12.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

el_pancho

28 Nov 2017

Thanks for your answer WillyOD. Well, this kind of sucks big time. I don't thing I will be upgrading to Reason 10 anytime soon. I was ok with reason as far as producing electronic music or experimental music, but now that I that decided to go back to my punkrock roots is going o be a pain to edit drum takes track by track. I think I am going to sell my license and my Balance card.
Thanks for your answer.
Cheers.

selig
RE Developer

28 Nov 2017

el_pancho wrote:
28 Nov 2017
Thanks for your answer WillyOD. Well, this kind of sucks big time. I don't thing I will be upgrading to Reason 10 anytime soon. I was ok with reason as far as producing electronic music or experimental music, but now that I that decided to go back to my punkrock roots is going o be a pain to edit drum takes track by track. I think I am going to sell my license and my Balance card.
Thanks for your answer.
Cheers.
Wait - Punk rock drummers don't edit their tracks! ;)

JK, IMO this is a serious omission which has been pointed out since the audio app was called "Record" (before it was merged with Reason). As a drummer and PT user myself, it's one of the first things I looked for, since this was a 'ground up' design and I assumed they had all the basics covered. Honestly, I'm not holding my breath on this one… ;(
Selig Audio, LLC

WillyOD

28 Nov 2017

1) Find a very solid drummer
2) Drum machine never fails you ;)

PS. I'm not trying to put Reason down (too much). It just need better audio and sequencer features and we're not too far away from my personal dream software

Before selling your stuff, you should at least try it out. There's audio quantization features and other cool stuff you can try out too.

You could also try Reaper for free. I haven't used other DAWs in years so I'm actually now sure how much better they've implemented some of the features lacking in Reason

selig
RE Developer

28 Nov 2017

WillyOD wrote:
28 Nov 2017
…Before selling your stuff, you should at least try it out. There's audio quantization features and other cool stuff you can try out too.…
Oh yea, you can't use Reason's excellent audio quantization feature on multiple drum tracks either, another loss for Reason users IMO.
;(
Selig Audio, LLC

el_pancho

28 Nov 2017

True that! punkrock drummers don't do edit :-).
selig wrote:
28 Nov 2017
el_pancho wrote:
28 Nov 2017
Thanks for your answer.
Cheers.
Wait - Punk rock drummers don't edit their tracks! ;)

JK, IMO this is a serious omission which has been pointed out since the audio app was called "Record" (before it was merged with Reason). As a drummer and PT user myself, it's one of the first things I looked for, since this was a 'ground up' design and I assumed they had all the basics covered. Honestly, I'm not holding my breath on this one… ;(

el_pancho

28 Nov 2017

WillyOD wrote:
28 Nov 2017
1) Find a very solid drummer
2) Drum machine never fails you ;)

PS. I'm not trying to put Reason down (too much). It just need better audio and sequencer features and we're not too far away from my personal dream software

Before selling your stuff, you should at least try it out. There's audio quantization features and other cool stuff you can try out too.

You could also try Reaper for free. I haven't used other DAWs in years so I'm actually now sure how much better they've implemented some of the features lacking in Reason
Yeah, I was thinking about Reaper or maybe Logic..

WillyOD

28 Nov 2017

Yeah, remember that Balance is an ASIO interface so you can use it with pretty much every other DAW out there (except PT). You might want to keep your Reason license and upgrade some point in the future...

ejanuska

13 Dec 2017

I used to record tracks using a two mic mid-side setup but since the audio editing is such a failure I just fake it with parallel channels in the mixer.
When I have attempted editing multiple tracks I would use the sequencer cursor as a reference point. But constantly switching between the razor and the selection tool was just a total drag.
Hopefully this will get fixed one day.

• Information