EZ Drummer 2 and Reason

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
lakland

26 Nov 2017

Quick question:

I am a new Reason user.....I am using EZ drummer 2 and Reason 10. I've got a nice drum part that automatically routes to 12 channels (6 mono and 6 stereo) on the EZ mixer. I am trying to get each drum part on an individual mix channel in Reason. On the back of the VST instrument panel there are 7 stereo outs. I know how to route 7 of the channels to individual mix channels but can't figure out how to route the remaining 5 channels.

I was thinking of maybe duplicating the VST but even if I do that, I still can't figure how to route ONLY the remaining 5 channels

Any thoughts ....suggestions?

thanks
Lakland....

NekujaK

29 Nov 2017

At the moment, Reason only supports 8 stereo outputs for VSTs, so you won't be able to take advantage of all 16 stereo pairs provided by EZdrummer, but the 8 stereo outs should be enough in most cases.

Keep in mind that even though the EZdrummer mixer may show a channel as mono (the kick drum channel, for example), it's still treated as a stereo pair in terms of outputs. So if the kick drum channel is assigned to output 1 (EZD default), it's actually outputs 1 and 2 that contain the kick drum signal. The easiest way to think of it, is that each numbered output channel in EZD corresponds to one stereo output pair in Reason. So....

EZD channel 1 = Reason outputs 1 & 2
EZD channel 2 = Reason outputs 3 & 4
EZD channel 3 = Reason outputs 5 & 6
and so on...

So for the kick drum, you can assign channel 1 in the EZD mixer to the kick, and then route the stereo output pair of 1 & 2 to a Reason mix channel.

---OR---

You can can force individual drums to mono to effectively get more outputs. To do this, assign channel 1 in EZD to BOTH the kick and snare, pan them hard left and right in EZD's mixer, then you can route output 1 and 2 separately to different Reason mix channels, one for the kick, the other for the snare. Do this with the remaining drums as desired, but you probably want to keep the toms, overheads and room mics as stereo.

The only drawback to the latter technique, is when you switch drum kits, the mapping will be altered and you'll need to re-assign and re-cable output channels. If you use stereo pairs across the board, the mappings and routings will remain valid in nearly all cases when you switch drum Kits.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

strangers
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2017

I use EzDrummer within Reason very often. The first thing I attempt to do is decide if messing with the routing is necessary or if I'm going to bounce each drum to a mix channel after I've got the song arrangement finalized. Most of the time I tend to go with the bouncing route since I was so used to having to bounce drums from EzDrummer to wav to be able to use within Reason (before VST implementation). It's a little bit of a process.

I'll go straight down the Ezdrummer mixer, mute everything but the kick, bounce to audio, then mute everything but the snare, bounce to audio, mute everything but the hats, bounce to audio, and so forth. That might be a weird process but it's another option to consider.

xRwu8

27 Jan 2022

Resurrecting this thread because I had the same problem and didn't understand why I couldn't continue routing beyond 8 channels. Thanks all above who explained Reason's limitations.

That being said, I figured out another solution. I created the first instance of EZDrummer2 and routed it to the maximum number of mixer channels Reason allows. I then duplicated the original so there are now two instances of EZDrummer with the same MIDI beat. In EZD I muted all the channels from the original instance, then re-assigned the remaining EZD channels (e.g. Overheads, Ambient, etc) so they start at multichannel Output 1, 2, 3 etc. So the first EZD has half the channels, and the second EZD has the other half. It works well! :thumbup:
:reason: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:

• Information