Sync external hardware audio with Reason internal audio

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
seqoi

19 Nov 2017

Hello. As mentioned in my earlier post few days ago i am slowly trying to incorporate hardware in my Reason sessions. Still learning Reason a lot and the goal is to adapt to it and transfer everything into it completely. Love it.

One particular issue i noticed and i would like to know how other deal with this.

Situation (this is just example for easier understanding of problem):

I use Reason Redrum or Matrix to sequence external module (gate out to external midi device, one audio channel in, all fine). So i have kick triggered by Redrum #1. Audio comes back to Reason. All fine. I add notes to 1,5,9,13..for the floor kick.

I add another Redrum #2 but this time i do not use this Redrum for external hardware i use it for sample play. So i load sample. I add same notes 1,5,9,13..Press play..

Redrum #1 is not in sync, it is lagging behind Redrum #2. It appear that Redrum #2 is playing few sec earlier but in reality both Redrum #1 and #2 notes are in perfect sync it's just that Audio track which comes from my hardware is delayed.

This is because of roundtrip from my soundcard AD/DA and buffer settings i get it. Other DAWs' calculate that for me automatically on pressing play. Live have External Instrument (and FX) plugin, Cubase have same feature with ping function (you press ping and it calculates roundtrip perfectly and align it) , etc.etc. And when audio from my hardware module reach my software mixer it is in perfect sync with software instruments.

In Reason i will have (obviously) to align this manually. Now i wonder is there automatic or semi automatic solution for this? I am sure PH will eventually came out with more standardized solution such as Ableton Live or Cubase has it but until then i wonder how other cope with that? Is there some RE for that or simply i need to flip back of a rack and manually delay all other non hardware audio channels to get them in sync with hardware module?

Cheers

seqoi

21 Nov 2017

After some browsing i think this might solve my problems https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... me-slider/

I can load then shift for example hardware tracks (since there are less of them then the normal "software" tracks so easier to monitor).

I'll try over weekend and report here.

• Information