R10 ... how to not become distracted by all those new synths and sounds?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Ahornberg

01 Nov 2017

Reason 10 is out now. End of summer sale is followed by Halloween sale and will be followed by the next upcoming black friday and X-mas sale ... this can be overwhelming and each new device will grab your time and interest.

But the primary purpose of a DAW and all that synths, samples and effects is ... making music.

How do you deal with that?

How do not become distracted by all those new synths and sounds?

What are your tips and tricks to stay focused on creating music?

Zac

01 Nov 2017

I don't do it myself because i tend to get inspired by certain sounds but you could try just writing midi data using just say subtractor patches at the right octave. Then start scoping out all of those new options for replacing sounds once you have a song well enough underway.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2017

Do what I do (or try to do), make sure you actually finish tracks with each synth you buy before you move on to another synth. Right now I'm working on a Snakebite track and I'm not gonna upgrade until it's finished. If I would upgrade before the track is done I would be super distracted by all the new shiny toys.

As soon as I've bought a synth (or any RE for that matter) I make sure to make at least one finished track with it to get my moneys worth. This way you don't just collect a bunch of REs without using them. I apply the same reasoning for cheaper synths too.

For example I've written 4 Legend songs, 3 FM4 songs, 4 Chip64 songs, soon 3 Snakebite songs. So now I feel like I can allow myself to move on. If I'll never work with those synths again it's alright. Now I'm free to waste my money on new toys :)

Ahornberg

01 Nov 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Nov 2017
Do what I do (or try to do), make sure you actually finish tracks with each synth you buy before you move on to another synth. Right now I'm working on a Snakebite track and I'm not gonna upgrade until it's finished. If I would upgrade before the track is done I would be super distracted by all the new shiny toys.

As soon as I've bought a synth (or any RE for that matter) I make sure to make at least one finished track with it to get my moneys worth. This way you don't just collect a bunch of REs without using them. I apply the same reasoning for cheaper synths too.

For example I've written 4 Legend songs, 3 FM4 songs, 4 Chip64 songs, soon 3 Snakebite songs. So now I feel like I can allow myself to move on. If I'll never work with those synths again it's alright. Now I'm free to waste my money on new toys :)
Oh that reminds me on the One-Synth-EP-Challenge. Thanks for the tip!

QVprod

01 Nov 2017

Buy only what you need. If your focus is more on the actual music making, you won't be as enticed by every new synth. A lot of them are different takes on the same thing anyway which will give you similar sounds. If you happen to be one of those people who check the shop everyday, then there's no way you can resist.

kuhliloach

01 Nov 2017

turn off computer
go on walks
use Reason with eyes closed; when your eyes are active creativity can shut down
consider getting ideas away from Reason then once you have the idea sit back down at the computer
make projects with audio only without using any Reason instruments or synths - by using real instruments, claps, your voice, etc

jlgrimes

08 Nov 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
01 Nov 2017
Reason 10 is out now. End of summer sale is followed by Halloween sale and will be followed by the next upcoming black friday and X-mas sale ... this can be overwhelming and each new device will grab your time and interest.

But the primary purpose of a DAW and all that synths, samples and effects is ... making music.

How do you deal with that?

How do not become distracted by all those new synths and sounds?

Online tutorials help sometimes (such as the Tutorials about Subtractor/Thor that a few users recently did).

Chances are there are a few Reason Racks (or old REs), you might not be benefitting from and sometimes tutorials can help you see a device you never really considered in a new light.

jfrichards

08 Nov 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
08 Nov 2017
...How do not become distracted by all those new synths and sounds?

Here's a good way... get The Legend on sale.

• Information