Reversing a note

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Adabler
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2017

In the above clip, I have reversed the second note in the 3rd and 4th bar using the bounce feature. I am trying to find another way to do this as I find this solution not very flexible. This seem like a thing that could easily be done with the upcoming grain synth or similar 3rd party RE's and probably some sample based instruments?

I am not very versed in actually making patches and don't really know where to begin. Ideally I'd like to somehow do this with automation. Any help would be much appreciated. :)
:reason: 12, Win10

Loque

13 Oct 2017

Khs Revetser, BBD delay, RV7000 and a bunch of other fx can reverse a sound.
Reason12, Win10

Adabler
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2017

Loque wrote:
13 Oct 2017
Thank you! I will read up on the RV7000.

Is my assumption, that to do this within a RE instrument would require some sort of waveform based synthesis, correct?

Loque

14 Oct 2017

Adabler wrote:
13 Oct 2017
Loque wrote:
13 Oct 2017
Thank you! I will read up on the RV7000.

Is my assumption, that to do this within a RE instrument would require some sort of waveform based synthesis, correct?
It is just sampling, than playing the sample back in reverse order. RV7000 adds a lil reverb to it, so i recommend khs Reverser, its free.
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

14 Oct 2017

Reverser, and likewise RV7000 and other delays, are probably not ideal for this - the sound has to first happen forwards before the effect can play it back in reverse. Also, its buffer/delay time is set (unless you automate it).

You can try putting kHs Reverser as an insert effect on the instrument and automating it on/off - just remember to turn it on at the start of the previous note, so you hear the previous note forwards AND THEN the same note played back again, but in reverse. Set the delay time to your note length.

You might find it's easier to carry on slicing and dicing audio as you are.
Alternatively, reverse all the bounced audio, then cut it up into separate note samples, then load those into a sampler. Then you have a separate midi sampler instrument full of reverse notes ready to play whenever and wherever you like - a bit more fiddly, but more freeform in the long run.

Adabler
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2017

EdGrip wrote:
14 Oct 2017
Alternatively, reverse all the bounced audio, then cut it up into separate note samples, then load those into a sampler. Then you have a separate midi sampler instrument full of reverse notes ready to play whenever and wherever you like - a bit more fiddly, but more freeform in the long run.
Thanks! I will try this. Turns out, the Reverser is not free at the moment and my monthly RE budget will be used on the update.

EdGrip

14 Oct 2017

Ahh no! Sorry. I remember now - it was a promotion kHs did. The reverse setting on the RV7000 will do the same thing, it just might be a bit reverb-y.

EdGrip

14 Oct 2017

What you WANT to happen is that the instrument/synth can generate a note in reverse, on command. But as far as I know, there's no synth that can do that.
So, one way or another, you have to work with the audio after it's come out of the synth.
Then, it's not possible to make the audio of a note be reverse in real-time because the whole note has to play all the way to the end - because the end of the note is the start of the reverse-note. If that all makes sense. It's timey-wimey stuff.

But! A sampler totally can play a sample in reverse on command, because the whole sample is already there in its memory waiting.
NN-XT has a "reverse sample" button, so you could just sample all the bounced notes into that and automate the "reverse sample" button. (So I was talking shite before - there's no need to reverse the samples before they go into the sampler.)

Loque

14 Oct 2017

Well, you just could reverse the envelopes.
Reason12, Win10

Adabler
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2017

EdGrip wrote:
14 Oct 2017
NN-XT has a "reverse sample" button, so you could just sample all the bounced notes into that and automate the "reverse sample" button.
I just tried this, but it seems like it's not possible to automate the "play mode" button. Could not find a "reverse sample" button other than the one in the "Edit Sample" window, but I mam maybe missing something? I hope so at least, this would have been an easy way of doing this.
Loque wrote:
14 Oct 2017
Well, you just could reverse the envelopes.
I am experimenting with this. Also, it appears I am not very good at his. :)

EdGrip

15 Oct 2017

Sorry, I wasn't near my computer to check - I was sure I'd seen "reverse sample" but it must just have been the edit sample window.

Reversing the envelopes is a great shout.

• Information