Challenge : imitation of Roland D50 sounds ?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
reason.fan

14 Sep 2017

Hye
These days, we heard a lot about the Roland D05 and of coarse about the D50.
Who would be interested in a little challenge, like trying to recreate some famous sounds (Fantasia, Digital Native Dance...) using combinators and only the Reason synths (no sample inside ) ?
let me know...
Eric

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2017

I think it actually uses samples itself. So it might be quite the challenge!

Edit: I'm wrong. Maybe it's "partials" Anyway, I need to do research before I comment on things sometimes :)

madmacman

15 Sep 2017

reason.fan wrote:
14 Sep 2017
Who would be interested in a little challenge, like trying to recreate some famous sounds (Fantasia, Digital Native Dance...) using combinators and only the Reason synths (no sample inside ) ?
Sounds to me like something between "tough" and "impossible".

Roland D50 was a little bastard when samples were "expensive". It had a number of very short attack samples for the specific characteristics of a sound (e.g. flute breath attack) combined with simple subtractive sustain sound.

Frankly speaking (and a bit nasty): you can emulate a D50 with Subtractor (minus the Attack Samples). But its true characteristics *is* the combination of samples and the horrible 1st gen digital reverb.

No way to come close when samples are forbidden.

• Information