What Are the Hi-Hats doing in this Track?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

10 Sep 2017

Hi!

Been tryna replicate the drum pattern which starts at the beginning of this track.

Got the Kick and Clap sorted but what are the hi-hats doing. Got the pattern, it's the flavouring I'm after. Every 5th one is longer for a start.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aeox
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2017

I only hear 4 hats per bar.

Sounds like the first 3 are being clamped ( or whatever it's called) very softly each hit to give it that sound, and the 4th one is more open.
Seems like the work of a drummer finessing his instrument IMO, sampled into the track.

Maybe a drummer will come along and explain it in greater detail. Your best bet is to simply search around for hats that sound close. You're never going to copy elements of a track 100%, especially live recorded instruments because there are so many other variables.

selig
RE Developer

10 Sep 2017

Some weird timing on that groove - but beyond that the main hats are a simple 'disco' (closed/open/closed/open) pattern as far as I can tell. There may be other things going on there (it's not uncommon to add a second hat or shaker/cabasa part to fill out a part). But that's the primary hat pattern as I hear it.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

aeox
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2017

Okay so I can't even hear the closed hats at all :D Must be that clap covering it up :?: They are so extremely quiet compared to the rest of the track and seem very centered in the middle

Creativemind

10 Sep 2017

At the beginning (where the drums are playing on their own) I've just suddenly thought....is there a 4th element? A Kick, A Clap, Hit-Hat's and something else?

I think there is now I'm listening to it more. I'm tryna replicate it on the Redrum and a complete 16 step closed hi-hat off 909 is sounding close with it's volume down quite low. As well as maybe the CH and OH pattern as well?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aburazaru

10 Sep 2017

Sounds like there's a tambourine or a shaker in there. Something also sounds tuned differently (maybe a little xylophone?/toy piano sample) , like like whole-step down and whole-step up, but it's really buried in the mix.

That's on top of the other suggestions in here like the closed, semi and open hi-hats.
How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

platzangst

17 Sep 2017

At the beginning there's the kick, the claps, the hats and a high-tuned, flat short snare. It's the snare that's off-kilter in the pattern.

To my ears, the hi-hats sound like a repeating rapid triad - tick tick riiide, tick tick riiide, and so on.

EthicistBeats

18 Sep 2017

Yea man the basis is a simple house/disco feel ... 1e and a 2e and a 3e and a 4 e and a

To make this do a simple four on the floor kick ( kick on every beat)

Snares on the 2 and 4

Closed Hi hats on every beat (just like kick)

And to add the shuffle , youd put some 808 rides/open hats on the "and" part of 1 e AND a, 2 e AND a, etc... or put another way, if your snare is every other four sixteenth notes (2nd and 4th beat), the open hats/ride would be two sixteenth notes after each beat
K - oh - , S - oh - , K - oh -, S - oh -6
1 e and a, 2 e and a, 3 e and a, 4 e and a ...

Hope that helps
Ps. There might some accent hats /shakers but for the most part i hear a vanilla house shuffle.

Peace.

KevTav

23 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
10 Sep 2017
Hi!

Been tryna replicate the drum pattern which starts at the beginning of this track.

Got the Kick and Clap sorted but what are the hi-hats doing. Got the pattern, it's the flavouring I'm after. Every 5th one is longer for a start.

Thanks!
It's 2 different hats. One is the min shorter one, the other is slightly less dB with a longer decay/sustain/transient on the tail.

That's basically it. Even sound like a standard TR hat sample

The snare stutter steps, which was a staples of 90s house, and the Bass Synth sound acts as a kick to fool the ear on the down beat right before the snare. If you're trying to emulate those kind of patterns in Reason, use the 64th Steps increment in the pattern, and draw them in on a 4 bar sample, to me precise. It's just Downbeat style House.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

KevTav

23 Sep 2017

KevTav wrote:
23 Sep 2017
Creativemind wrote:
10 Sep 2017
Hi!

Thanks!
It's 2 different hats. One is the min shorter one, the other is slightly less dB with a longer decay/sustain/transient on the tail.

That's basically it. Even sound like a standard TR hat sample

The snare stutter steps, which was a staples of 90s house, and the Bass Synth sound acts as a kick to fool the ear on the down beat right before the snare. If you're trying to emulate those kind of patterns in Reason, use the 64th Steps increment in the pattern, and draw them in on a 4 bar sample, to me precise. It's just Downtempo style House.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

• Information