Output as .WAV multiple choices

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jagwah

10 Sep 2017

I still use Audacity for recording on my computer and since updating to a newer version it is now giving me two options for outputting as .WAV

Can someone tell me what's up with these two and which one I am better off using?

The formats are as follows:

1) WAV signed 16-bit PCM

2) WAV 32-bit float PCM

Thanks!! :)

QVprod

10 Sep 2017

16 bit is cd quality. You want to use 32bit if imposing into Reason.

But why would you use Audacity instead Reason? I don't record in Reason either but Reason's recording capabilities are a lot better than what's in Audacity imo.

Jagwah

10 Sep 2017

QVprod wrote:
10 Sep 2017

But why would you use Audacity instead Reason? I don't record in Reason either but Reason's recording capabilities are a lot better than what's in Audacity imo.
So if printing a CD I take it use the 16 bit otherwise the 32 bit will be a better representation of a true copy, let me know if I'm wrong here please.

Long ago I had a lot of trouble getting my soundcard to have Reason play audio and also record audio, while at the same time Audacity just worked and always has. I guess now I have a dedicated audio card I should take a look in to it again.

QVprod

11 Sep 2017

Jagwah wrote:
10 Sep 2017
QVprod wrote:
10 Sep 2017

So if printing a CD I take it use the 16 bit otherwise the 32 bit will be a better representation of a true copy, let me know if I'm wrong here please.

Long ago I had a lot of trouble getting my soundcard to have Reason play audio and also record audio, while at the same time Audacity just worked and always has. I guess now I have a dedicated audio card I should take a look in to it again.
That's pretty much the idea. Audio within Reason (and most DAWS) is 32 bit.

Jagwah

11 Sep 2017

QVprod wrote:
11 Sep 2017
Jagwah wrote:
10 Sep 2017

That's pretty much the idea. Audio within Reason (and most DAWS) is 32 bit.
Good to know, thanks.

Exowildebeest

11 Sep 2017

Actually, if I remember correctly, Reason didn't support importing 32bit audio files until a few versions ago :) (even though internally, it did run at that depth)

selig
RE Developer

11 Sep 2017

Jagwah wrote:
10 Sep 2017
QVprod wrote:
10 Sep 2017

32 bit will only be a 'better representation' if your files have levels above 0 dBFS. Otherwise, unless your levels are super low (like 40-60 dB too low) there won't be any advantage to 32 bit since even 16 bits give you over 96 dB dynamic range to work with.

That being said, if dynamic range is of concern I would suggest 24 bit files for intermediate file transfers between apps because again the only advantage to 32 bit files is their ability to handle levels over 0 dBFS (not saying that's the only difference, just saying that's the only place you'll likely notice a difference).
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

12 Sep 2017

Thanks guys, not too much to worry about with what I'm exporting then :)

• Information