Sysex in Reason

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Smee

24 Aug 2017

Damn, totally gutted. Just found our Reason doesn't support sysex from the support people. I've just swapped back to Reason after the new VST support, now I can't use my external synths and might have to go back to Reaper grrrr.

Any suggestions on how to control external synths with Reason? Are there any RE's that generate sysex?
I love cats - they taste just like chicken.

Oquasec

24 Aug 2017

External plugin and hardware support was added in version 7 [AAX/VST/ANALOGUE or Au/rtas for the mac guys]
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pr ... d-reason-7
https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason ... ernal-midi

Boris found this out a few years back
Last edited by Oquasec on 24 Aug 2017, edited 3 times in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

bitley

24 Aug 2017

Sysex is not appropriate for real time control. CC is. Most old "sysex synths" are getting Kiwi updates etc to replace Sysex with CC. To transmit soundbanks you can use Elektron C6 and similar free apps.

seqoi

07 Sep 2017

Not talking about Reason in particular but to say to the people which use hardware not to use Sysex with their hardware is like you sayin not to use gas pedal in a car. Come on.

Oquasec yes they added it but not fully. They added MIDI in,out messages with CC support which is half of the story. Sysex is (as bitley said not for live but) there to manage more peculiar things. Bank managements, fine controls, more controls which are out of CC range and so on.

90% gear in my studio use midi and SYSex messages. This is standard.

Smee - i believe you can add VST librarian in to Reason VST rack (such as soundquest midiquest) and it will send sysex as long as you are using midi port which is not occupied in Reason it self. It should work and of course depending on what you want to do. Sending sysex directly from Reason or recording sysex directly in to reason sequencer as in other DAW apps does not work ATM. My Roland Integra editor works fine and is sending sysex from Reason. It does not matter if Reason does not support it, application support it just make sure you are not using same ports in Reason.

Catblack

07 Sep 2017

Sysex is supported at the Remote level. (Remote is the name of the lua scripting language that is used for midi devices.) I am controlling the RGB lights on my launchpad pro using sysex, and it's been plenty speedy. I've also got it checking if I'm getting a note press or a sysex event (in case the device user switches modes on it,) so I know you can use sysex to communicate in both directions just fine.

There is also this RE for controlling analog synths using an external module: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ontroller/
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

• Information