Parallel processing in Reason

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
MikeMcKew

19 Aug 2017

Hey everyone, I'm a new YouTuber and I am looking to grow my audience. It would really help me out if you subscribe to my channel!

Today I have a new video about two ways to parallel process in Reason. Definitely not the only ways to do this, but hopefully this will serve as a nice introduction to parallel processing to those not familiar. You can find the video at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5exqcqg8wo

Thanks everyone, and enjoy!

Ahornberg

19 Aug 2017

Nice tutorial but Pulverizer has a dry-wet-knob and that does parallel processing without the need of anything else :geek:

MikeMcKew

19 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
19 Aug 2017
Nice tutorial but Pulverizer has a dry-wet-knob and that does parallel processing without the need of anything else :geek:
You are correct about that! I personally find it better/easier to use this technique because it allows you to mix using the faders and manipulate the effect independently of the dry signal.. Also, you can go deeper and do things like filter the parallel channel to process only a certain part of the frequency spectrum, or add other effects in the parallel chain. When you start getting into more complicated stuff, it becomes very difficult or impossible to do the same things by just using effects as inserts.

All that to say, the beautiful thing about Reason (and audio production in general) is that there are multiple ways to achieve the same result. Hope you find it useful, though!

Ahornberg

19 Aug 2017

MikeMcKew wrote:
19 Aug 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
19 Aug 2017
You are correct about that! I personally find it better/easier to use this technique because it allows you to mix using the faders and manipulate the effect independently of the dry signal.. Also, you can go deeper and do things like filter the parallel channel to process only a certain part of the frequency spectrum, or add other effects in the parallel chain. When you start getting into more complicated stuff, it becomes very difficult or impossible to do the same things by just using effects as inserts.

All that to say, the beautiful thing about Reason (and audio production in general) is that there are multiple ways to achieve the same result. Hope you find it useful, though!
Usually I put an effect directly under the instrument and it auto-connects. Then I make my adjustments and I'm ready for the next channel/track ;)

One thing I would mention in terms of parallel processing is NY-compression. I do it this way (inspired by Andrew Scheps): I send every channel/track except the drums to a post send and run it through a compressor and mix it back in.

Loque

19 Aug 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
19 Aug 2017
MikeMcKew wrote:
19 Aug 2017

Usually I put an effect directly under the instrument and it auto-connects. Then I make my adjustments and I'm ready for the next channel/track ;)

One thing I would mention in terms of parallel processing is NY-compression. I do it this way (inspired by Andrew Scheps): I send every channel/track except the drums to a post send and run it through a compressor and mix it back in.
Some adjustments can only be done using parallel processing, because of delay/phasing or loudness lose.
Reason12, Win10

MikeMcKew

19 Aug 2017

Loque wrote:
19 Aug 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
19 Aug 2017

Some adjustments can only be done using parallel processing, because of delay/phasing or loudness lose.
Yeah luckily delay compensation is now present to help solve any phase alignment issues that may occur when using parallel channels.

• Information