More Potatoes, Please.

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
strangers
Competition Winner

15 Aug 2017

Even with the addition of VST support, I'm still oddly fascinated by sampling. I've been using the NN19 & NNXT more often than usual lately and always tend to learn something new when looking up techniques, tips, tricks, kick flips, etc. for either device.

Anyone have any tips or secret sauce they care to share for either device? Recently had a friend introduce me to Koan Sound that led me down a wormhole of sampling ideas. One of my current favorites is creating whatever sound I want, as usual, with Antidote, Parsec, Thor or whatever synth and then sampling it through NN19. NN19 has some wild CV possibilities after throwing the NN19 into a combinator and diving into the programmer. Noticed a few things that can be modulated in the NN19 that can't be in the NNXT.

What techniques or tricks do you guys have with these potato devices that are underdogs with the addition of VST's?

Oquasec

15 Aug 2017

Reason's modules [Subtractor/thor & maelstrom] are pretty powerful :]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

scratchnsnifff

16 Aug 2017

If your into sampling, you would probably like proton, not a traditional sampler but granular synths are close and can do some awesome things, i like to make a Reese bass with a phaser on It modulated by an env or LFO and throw it into arkana (granular synth) it can play the sample back in a stab like way and a womp can turn into a crazy stab or percussive sound and when sweeping the index while using 16th notes it can get all sorts of weird! The same can be done with a sampler just add effects after it and modulate the sample start position if it's the next, look up the tutorial by reason experts "granular synthesis in reason" and it's the one where he uses the nnxt
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

strangers
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
16 Aug 2017
If your into sampling, you would probably like proton, not a traditional sampler but granular synths are close and can do some awesome things, i like to make a Reese bass with a phaser on It modulated by an env or LFO and throw it into arkana (granular synth) it can play the sample back in a stab like way and a womp can turn into a crazy stab or percussive sound and when sweeping the index while using 16th notes it can get all sorts of weird! The same can be done with a sampler just add effects after it and modulate the sample start position if it's the next, look up the tutorial by reason experts "granular synthesis in reason" and it's the one where he uses the nnxt
I'll have to demo Proton and see what's up. Is it similar to Neutron? I'm still within the 30 day trial period of Neutron and kinda clueless on what to do with it. I've yet to figure out how, where and when to use it. I'll have to look more into the granular synths since they're very new to me.

Funny you mention modulating the sample start position of the NNXT. That's what I've been having a ton of fun doing with the NN19 over the past week. I didn't know you could modulate the start position for the NNXT. I must have overlooked a routing option to pull that off. The NN19 was easy

scratchnsnifff

18 Aug 2017

strangers wrote:
17 Aug 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
16 Aug 2017
I'll have to demo Proton and see what's up. Is it similar to Neutron? I'm still within the 30 day trial period of Neutron and kinda clueless on what to do with it. I've yet to figure out how, where and when to use it. I'll have to look more into the granular synths since they're very new to me.

Funny you mention modulating the sample start position of the NNXT. That's what I've been having a ton of fun doing with the NN19 over the past week. I didn't know you could modulate the start position for the NNXT. I must have overlooked a routing option to pull that off. The NN19 was easy
It's a bit of a challenge in the nnxt, I believe you have to route the velocity to sample start, and use an rpg8. Then you modulate rpg8's velocity knob and that acts as a position knob it works lol and proton is way different than neutron, proton is an instrument and il agree that granular effects are a bit hard to use and are random when it comes to getting something useful lol I use granular effects for a sort of riser effect or background effect

aRiver

18 Aug 2017

It's a big subject and would be hard to point out main ideas in one post. For example: you can do alot with two samplers and a good vocoder. By modulating pitch, velocity (to sample start, effect, etc,) and modulating vocoder's depth per hit would generate some interesting results. zynaptiq morph is a good start, despite it not working in Reason and inability to modulate some of it's main parameters, it is still possible to scroll through presets and it's usually enough.Try loading over - processed material with reverb, or echo stacks. Obviously the more processed the sample is the more interesting results you might get.

strangers
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
18 Aug 2017
It's a bit of a challenge in the nnxt, I believe you have to route the velocity to sample start, and use an rpg8. Then you modulate rpg8's velocity knob and that acts as a position knob it works lol and proton is way different than neutron, proton is an instrument and il agree that granular effects are a bit hard to use and are random when it comes to getting something useful lol I use granular effects for a sort of riser effect or background effect
That's some work right there. It's much easier to modulate the NN19's sample start with CV and the programmer. I'll still try that out with the NNXT out of curiosity. Also going to try out more of the granular synths. There's always a place for background noise. I'll see what I can make of the RE.
aRiver wrote:
18 Aug 2017
It's a big subject and would be hard to point out main ideas in one post. For example: you can do alot with two samplers and a good vocoder. By modulating pitch, velocity (to sample start, effect, etc,) and modulating vocoder's depth per hit would generate some interesting results. zynaptiq morph is a good start, despite it not working in Reason and inability to modulate some of it's main parameters, it is still possible to scroll through presets and it's usually enough.Try loading over - processed material with reverb, or echo stacks. Obviously the more processed the sample is the more interesting results you might get.
I've got my work cut out for me. I've kept the Reason Vocoder in the dark for a while now mainly because I haven't experimented much with it yet. I've used it for its EQ and that was about it. Know of any decent videos or places to read up on where to get a better grasp of the vocoder?

scratchnsnifff

19 Aug 2017

strangers wrote:
18 Aug 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
18 Aug 2017
That's some work right there. It's much easier to modulate the NN19's sample start with CV and the programmer. I'll still try that out with the NNXT out of curiosity. Also going to try out more of the granular synths. There's always a place for background noise. I'll see what I can make of the RE.
aRiver wrote:
18 Aug 2017
I've got my work cut out for me. I've kept the Reason Vocoder in the dark for a while now mainly because I haven't experimented much with it yet. I've used it for its EQ and that was about it. Know of any decent videos or places to read up on where to get a better grasp of the vocoder?

Def try arkana out, I like it a little bit more than proton, both are great but I like arkana better because of the position knob and the shift knob :) proton is cool for turning samples into keys (that's just how I use those) the nn19 is indeed easier to make a "fake" granular setup, just look up reason experts granular synthesis videos :) and for a good bv512 vocoder video I believe James Bernard covers it in one of the 52 reason and record tips. It's a series with a ton of useful tips and tricks for reason stock devices, the videos were made pre rack extension era, but he covers most questions you would expect. And I believe if you just search Reason vocoder tutorial you will find some good videos on it, I just recommend the 52 reason and record tips series :) hope all of this helps!

aRiver

20 Aug 2017

aRiver wrote:
18 Aug 2017
[/quote]

It depends on what vocoder you want to use. morph from zynaptiq is an easy one to use, full feature one would be vocodex from fl studio as you can modulate alot of parameters per band. However as I said earlier, vocoders wont do much if your source material isnt good.

• Information