Authentic Sounding Bass Guitar emulation

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
ThisIsNotTheMusic

06 Aug 2017

I'm looking to get an authentic sounding bass guitar sound out of Reason. See Peking Duk's 'Fake Magic' as a perfect example, or for that matter any other indie rock song from the last 30 years or so for examples of a richer deeper sound rather than the heavy plucked style in the aforementioned. I do play guitar (a little), and yes I could just record the notes then tune down with polar, but, it just never sounds right. I've tried Re's and even a couple of VST's but I can never get even close to an authentic sounding electric bass guitar. Any suggestions on Combis Re's VST's and effects chains to achieve this will be very welcome! Thanks.
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2017

Physical modelling.

MODO Bass is one I can think of from the top of my head.

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2017

The "bass guitar" is not even real (he mentions it on stream). I'm assuming it's some kind of physical modelling.

orignaloriginale

07 Aug 2017

The Reason Electric Bass ReFill is pretty dope.

QVprod

07 Aug 2017

I use this one all the time. http://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=19. Also keep in mind that how real something sounds also depends on how you play it.

motuscott

07 Aug 2017

Dan Dean Bass has a wide variety of sampled electric basses available in .sxt format for NNXT. I've seen it in the Prop Shop though I can't find a link right now.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

ThisIsNotTheMusic

07 Aug 2017

Thanks aeox although that unit is a little pricey for my needs. I do like the look of the ReFill, I think I've looked at it once before and decided it's a 'save up for' but never saved enough! It's going on the list. Really do like the Ample Bass, I put it straight into the song I'm working on and it's doing a good job sounding authentic. I wonder if I ReValver it if I can get something special - well it will be fun to try. I think for Samples I need to be careful - I don't have an unlimited budget (quite the opposite) so I will always prefer to make my own at this stage, but thanks for the tip all the same. Fantastic job everyone, I have a solution and can now polish the finished mix. Awesome.

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2017

Native Instrument's Scarbee Bass patches are brilliant.

They insert slides and hammer ons based on what notes your playing and where they would be played on a real guitar. You can use keyswitches to select specific articulations if you like as well.

paulred67

07 Aug 2017

I bought this a few weeks ago. Not cheap, but I am more than happy. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/modobass/
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

ThisIsNotTheMusic

07 Aug 2017

avasopht wrote:
07 Aug 2017
Native Instrument's Scarbee Bass patches are brilliant.

They insert slides and hammer ons based on what notes your playing and where they would be played on a real guitar. You can use keyswitches to select specific articulations if you like as well.
I've not used the Kontakt Player or any NI stuff - but I must say that looks good value. How do you think it would compare to the Refill mentioned earlier? Is the workflow ok with this - I imagine you load the Instrument into the player and the player as the VST? I read somewhere about the process but not sure if it's a problem or not (I'm guessing not).

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2017

Reason Electric Bass has a brilliant sound, but it just can't do half of what Scarbee does with its advanced scripting.

The advantage of Reason Electric Bass is that for $129 you get various electric bass guitar sounds, while with Scarbee you have to get them individually (there are 6 of them and 2 of them are just recordings of another Scarbee through a different set of amps). Most of those Scarbee bass instrument packs are $60-70, and chances are that you will only ever need 1 or 2.

As for the process:
1. Load up Kontakt VST device
2. Select patch in Kontakt

If you only have one patch / library then it's going to be pretty seamless, and even if you don't it's no different to loading your desired patch in a VST or from a Refill.

• Information