Need A "Reason Fast-Track" For My Game

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
DBam

05 Aug 2017

Hey guys/gals,

If there's a "Reason for Dummies" summer course, I'd be the 1st student in the class.

I am interested in knowing how to operate my Reason 5 software to create music to put into a game I'm making. I've always had an interest in creating my own music. It's just that every time I open up the Reason software, it gets daunting/overwhelming and I'm not sure what to do next. I know I need to start with the Mixer 14:2, and Redrum, but after that I just get lost.

I've read the manual, and it's almost like a foreign language to me. Youtube videos do help a bit, but most of them either don't explain steps fully, are too advanced for me currently, are way too long for me to watch, or they require me having bells & whistles only found in later Reason versions. Or all of the above :(

The game I'm making is a 3rd-person shooter focused on robots and teams. I'm interested in creating mainly battle music with some sci-fi/trance-ish sounds. The project is approaching it's first deadline toward the end of August, and because I'm out of budget atm, I need to take on the music composing and get at least one battle song uploaded on the Cloud by then.

I have good knowledge with Audacity, if that helps at all?

I have all of these sounds and beats in my head, but I don't know how to CREATE them. I believe knowing how to use the Thor/etc synthesizers will help with the game's theme, based on what I've heard from them.

Know of any Links? Anything Noteworthy? Recommend a specific Youtuber? Please, if any of you guys could help me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it greatly.

okaino

05 Aug 2017

Not to be discouraging but what youre asking is how do i make a rocket real quick cause i gotta get to space at the end of the month.....

A rocket launch takes alot of research and trial and error.

You gotta give your self time to learn and try things out to get what you want. You are trying to produce sound.

For a quick turn around im not even sure reason is ur best bet honestly for the situation you described. Its too much to understand even within a year really. You learn reason and really all daws through consistent practice. 

All jokes aside the only shortcuts to learn in reason is on the keyboard.

My advice is to find a way to buy time and try out simple things...try to make something identify all the problems you have creating it and find answers to eliminate the problems....also undserstand things you would like to do and find/learn ways to do it. 

You gotta get a solid foundation and understanding and that takes as long as it takes.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

QVprod

05 Aug 2017

Agreed with the above post. There's no shortcut to learning how to compose music. It takes time to learn. No amount of tutorials or even full courses will change that. If you're on a deadline, your best bet is to try to license some music. There are some low cost and royalty free sites that exist for that if you look around I'm sure. Or If there are royalties to be had, perhaps you may find some whoo may allow use of their music for no upfront cost.

AttenuationHz

05 Aug 2017

I couldn't agree more with both posts. It won't matter if you are a quick learner you will be stretching yourself trying to learn how to use Reason properly in less than 28 days. Have you got that time to spend full time on learning it? Or would the programming of the game suffer because of it?

It took me at least 8 months to learn reason and finishing my first song took another 3 months. There is just far too much information to learn and not enough time to learn it imo. You may well be able to pull it of and if you do manage to, well done in advance...

But as a back up plan I would spend the next day or so browsing tracks on the music section of the forum here and contacting the owner of the work to see if something can be worked out.

There is plenty of musicians on here and I can only speak for myself that would gladly take the exposer of having music in a game.

How about posting a video demo of what you need the music for and see if anyone is willing to create something or already has something fitting for it?

It's a big ask for yourself to cram that much info in a short space of time.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Aug 2017

If you missed the pay-what-you-want upgrade to v6 I'm afraid you're going to see a lot of guides that assume you have at least version 6. But that's not a big deal, you can still learn.

Reason comes with a manual for every device. You can also follow the tutorials and guides for older versions of Reason.

Experimentation is your friend. Know that you don't really need a manual or a tutorial to get the wheels moving. Hope between trying things out and reading manuals or tutorials.

DBam

09 Aug 2017

Thanks all for the honest replies. I understand the limitations and all.

I've been getting to know the software more and more since my initial post. I've got a long way to go, but actually dedicating myself to grasping the instruments and effects is starting to pay off in little increments.

I try to recreate sounds by listening to some stored music clips. I also use tutorials by youtubers and try to work with the instruments I have. I like to learn by going step by step while referring to a visual guide.

I was actually thinking of making a new post asking "how to make this sound?" giving a list of the instruments I have, posting a mp3 file of the sound I want to create, and seeing what recommendations come up. But I don't know if the forum would allow music files being posted?

AttenuationHz

09 Aug 2017

DBam wrote:
09 Aug 2017
Thanks all for the honest replies. I understand the limitations and all.

I've been getting to know the software more and more since my initial post. I've got a long way to go, but actually dedicating myself to grasping the instruments and effects is starting to pay off in little increments.

I try to recreate sounds by listening to some stored music clips. I also use tutorials by youtubers and try to work with the instruments I have. I like to learn by going step by step while referring to a visual guide.

I was actually thinking of making a new post asking "how to make this sound?" giving a list of the instruments I have, posting a mp3 file of the sound I want to create, and seeing what recommendations come up. But I don't know if the forum would allow music files being posted?
Just upload it to soundcloud, post the soundcloud link.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

okaino

12 Aug 2017

DBam wrote:Thanks all for the honest replies. I understand the limitations and all.

Yo good luck to you bro! You have the right attitude moving foward! Stay inspired. It will come as long as you work for it.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

• Information