What if I can't get good speaker placement?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Oquasec

02 Aug 2017

Could just be opinion but I think having speakers at least 2 feet away from each other with each facing each ear makes sense.
Speakers don't sound as wide since they are not placed the same wide way as headphones also btw. unless you have a desk that allows you to do that.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jagwah

07 Aug 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
30 Jul 2017
If you want to get pretty close to 30°▼60° angle here's how it might take a little bit of time but its worth the effort.
Thanks for taking the time to explain all this, seems so many things make a difference. I'm going to put some time in to working on the angles following your method, thanks :)
selig wrote:
30 Jul 2017
Keep listening, keep making adjustments if you can, and try to have fun and not stress too much - this isn't rocket science and should remain "fun" even when doing more of the science part of the process. Good luck!
Picked up a few things from you in this thread, I will definitely try sit inside the triangle and compare it to being at the corner of it. The idea of hearing the difference from one room to another is one that still eludes me at this point, but I am in a good situation to start understanding it with multiple playing points in my house. Appreciate your input, cheers :)

Jagwah

07 Aug 2017

adfielding wrote:
02 Aug 2017
I know a lot of people will probably frown upon this, but I'd say... don't worry too much about it. I'm very much of the opinion that knowing the room you're in is much more important than having an amazing monitoring setup, unless you're working as a professional mix/mastering engineer.
Great response. I do need to start understanding my room and how it affects a mix, I love the Stephen King analogy and how it relates. I do have a great space that I get inspired in, so i'll work on adapting to it mixwise. Thanks for chiming in :)
ryanharlin wrote:
02 Aug 2017
I mix in a room and set up that would make a mastering engineer cringe, with my speakers in front of two glass windows even! (the horror!!!) But I've never felt that my room was impeding my mix.
Great to know others face similar situations, and the consensus seems to be it's not the end of the world to not have a professional space to work in. Thanks for the input :)

selig
RE Developer

07 Aug 2017

I'll add one more thing that will help in understanding your room and how it affects a mix - listen to music (both commercial releases and your own mixes) in as many different rooms as possible, especially 'good' rooms. This will gradually educate you in ways you can never achieve by reading/studying or by working in isolation in one or two rooms.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

07 Aug 2017

selig wrote:
07 Aug 2017
I'll add one more thing that will help in understanding your room and how it affects a mix - listen to music (both commercial releases and your own mixes) in as many different rooms as possible, especially 'good' rooms. This will gradually educate you in ways you can never achieve by reading/studying or by working in isolation in one or two rooms.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Will do, thanks dude :)

• Information