Layering?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Taff

28 Jul 2017

Anyone got any advice on layering, specifically strings woodwind and brass, for realistic instrument sounds.

Links to tutorials would be great.

selig
RE Developer

29 Jul 2017

Taff wrote:Anyone got any advice on layering, specifically strings woodwind and brass, for realistic instrument sounds.

Links to tutorials would be great.
I don't have links, nor did I ever study orchestration - but if you're serious that's where I'd start (assuming you can read music well - I can't).

But what I suggest is to study the songs you like. There are so many different styles of orchestration that one tutorial may lead you in the wrong direction.

Do you want to sound traditional, modern, classic Hollywood film, modern film, somewhere in between?

With orchestras there's only so many options for layering (as opposed to synths etc). With Reason you have representations of most of the instruments. First I would make sure you can recognize all the instruments when they play - loading up the sounds in Reason can help you learn them if you don't already know.

Once you recognize them, it's fairly easy to recognize the layers when you listen to a recording. Much of the time it's just a woodwind layered with a brass, a string with a woodwind, or a brass with a string instrument.

Once you identify the specific combinations that you like, you can go from there. I suggest reverse engineering a song you like (I did this with 50s cartoon music used in Ren & Stimpy a few years back, a track called Happy Go Lively). This will teach you more than any book or tutorial IMO, because it will be specifically about the style you're interested in.

I also love Mancini's arrangements (sometimes cheesy, but always interesting) from the 50-60s, so I study those to see how the instruments are stacked and used on their own from section to section. I also love Holst's The Planets, and listen to that for ideas and inspiration. All the answers you seek are "hidden" in plain sight if you listen. Can be very revealing!

I'd be happy to help you identify instruments in an specific arrangement/recording that you like if you want help, and there are plenty of others here who are doing similar things that would lend a hand I'm sure!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Taff

29 Jul 2017

Cheers mate.

AttenuationHz

29 Jul 2017

Watched a very interesting video earlier from waves. Worth a watch at any level. Mentions layering somewhat but there is a whole load of wealth of knowledge in this video!

It's a plug-in promotion video but just ignore what plug-ins are being used and chill for a about 20 minutes.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information