How to get that Lo-Fi Sound

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Stock Music Musician

13 Jul 2017

I'm a huge fan of Tycho (you guys should check out Dive if you haven't heard it yet) and also old skool hip hop, so I really have been trying to figure out how to get lo-fi sounding tracks for a while.

I think I've finally cracked it. Every sample is going to be different, but it involves lot of time stretching, pitch shifting, tape emulation and sometimes some oscillation.

Here's a pretty cool example of how I turned http://www.reasonguide.com/how-to-creat ... hop-beats/ a happy, high pitched sample into something much darker and more sinister.

Are you guys experimenting much with re-sampling? Any best practices you'd recommend?

Ahornberg

13 Jul 2017

Audiomatic Retro Transformer helps a lot.

Wickline

13 Jul 2017

Dude this is awesome! I love tycho. And his boy Dusty Brown. Gonna experiment with this.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

Stock Music Musician

14 Jul 2017

Haven't checked out Dusty Brown. Being added to a playlist now. Audomatic can do part of this, but the big takeaway I have for getting lo-fi sounds is that you have to both make the sample sound lo-fi AND make the sampler introduce some distortion. Most of the old skool songs we love were made on shitty samplers that introduced all sorts of artifacts to the samples, and so that's a key component.

Wickline

14 Jul 2017

Stock Music Musician wrote:Haven't checked out Dusty Brown. Being added to a playlist now. Audomatic can do part of this, but the big takeaway I have for getting lo-fi sounds is that you have to both make the sample sound lo-fi AND make the sampler introduce some distortion. Most of the old skool songs we love were made on shitty samplers that introduced all sorts of artifacts to the samples, and so that's a key component.
Dusty and tycho did a bunch of stuff together early on and played shows together all the time. Similar sound.

Thanks again for the tips!
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

pacorobles

17 Jul 2017

I've found the vocoder has a bitcrusher function. Set to EQ, set bands to 4-8. Scream has a surprisingly useful digital distorsion mode as well. You can also separate 3 different bands using Spiders and the EQ faders in it for multiband processing.
Best,
Paco
:reason: 9.5

Bumbum

18 Jul 2017

/r/synthesizers had good conversation lately about lo-fi

Marco Raaphorst

18 Jul 2017

Pulveriser, The Echo, Scream in combinators can do anything.

I love the COMB-01 compressor which is super sucky and sick sounding in extreme settings. And the Kong compressor is extreme as well. Combine it in a Combinator and you can create some gritty effects which immediately add 1000% vibes to any boring sound.

demt

18 Jul 2017

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1884

seriously the most dangerous animal of lo fi ive ever scene
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information