Auto Gain Riding In Reason

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Ostermilk

12 Jul 2017

I've seen a lot of talk around here lately about automatic vocal riding where you are adjusting the entire amplitude of a signal rather than using a compressor which will limit the dynamic range by a certain ratio above a threshold.

Acheiving this principle in Reason is ridiculously easy, but you can adapt the basic principles in many ways using all the tools that are available within the Reason environment and perhaps witht your of imagination sparked off you will no doubt be able to come up with some far better examples than the one I'm providing here just to kick off the discussion.

This little combi here is meant to be used as an insert on a Main mixer channel to control and audio (vocal clip) on that channel.

It's dead simple and comprises simply of a spider to split one signal into and MClass mixer (notice no audio comes out of the compressor) which is merely there to provide the Gain Reduction CV signal which is routed to the Combinators CV1 input which is then set to unipolar, to drive a level control on a 14:2 mixer which takes another output from the spider for Mixer channel that is to be controlled.

I haven't programmed any knobs or buttons on the Combi so you have to open it up to control it.

Adjust the input gain on the compressor along with a low threshold setting and a high to get a good 'Gain Reduction' signal showing up on the meter. Attack and release will work exactly like they would using standard compression. Range, like you find on a certain popular vocal rider plug-in is altered in the Combinator's Programmer notice the defaults I've set here on CV1 in the Programmer are for the Level slider to move between the range of 108 to 56 so when the signal gets louder the level gets brought down and vice versa.

Simple Vocal Rider.zip
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

So there's the principle, see what you can cook up to suit your own needs from this simple example.

Some suggested improvements:

Create a stereo version that rides left and right levels independently.
Add a 'look-ahead' function to ensure any intial high volume peaks gets brought down also.
Alternative ways of getting a cv signal from the amplitude of an audio signal rather than using the M-Class comp.
Maybe use an envelope for better control over the level than you'll get with Attack and Release on the M-Class
A way of controlling the range other than setting it in the Combi's programmer.

Anyway those I just my suggestions and if my experience of this community is anything to go by there will be plenty of ideas that I couldn't even dream up.

So don't be shy show us all what you can come up with. At least you'll already know that my solution is gonna be the lamest... :D

Marco Raaphorst

12 Jul 2017

Interesting. You know Waves Vocal Rider? That one will push the volume both upwards and downwards.

Although I recently started using Vocal Rider for documentary work I just found out that maybe using the McDSP Moo is the best thing ever for smooth vocal rides with the Attack and Recovery on max. The Moo is the most smooth sounding digital compressor I know of.

Ostermilk

12 Jul 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
12 Jul 2017
Interesting. You know Waves Vocal Rider? That one will push the volume both upwards and downwards.

Although I recently started using Vocal Rider for documentary work I just found out that maybe using the McDSP Moo is the best thing ever for smooth vocal rides with the Attack and Recovery on max. The Moo is the most smooth sounding digital compressor I know of.
Yes you could certainly push the level up and down just by changing the range. If you used something like Selig Gain for example rather than a 14:2 mixer and adjusting the CV1 figures in the combi programmer you could make the effective range even wider of course.

The thing that differentiates gain riding vs using a compressor to 'level' a signal is that by riding the gain you are affecting the entire amplitude of the signal not just the range above the threshold you set.

It is in essence just a level ducker turned on itself, and even the fundamental combi made for this thread makes a better a job than my fat fingers on the Main Mixer would... :)
Last edited by Ostermilk on 13 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

ljekio

12 Jul 2017

So don't be shy show us all what you can come up with. At least you'll already know that my solution is gonna be the lamest..
Try to use Proximity VST plugin for riding fader.
viewtopic.php?p=341439#p341439

Ostermilk

12 Jul 2017

ljekio wrote:
12 Jul 2017
So don't be shy show us all what you can come up with. At least you'll already know that my solution is gonna be the lamest..
Try to use Proximity VST plugin for riding fader.
viewtopic.php?p=341439#p341439
That's a great idea, I noticed you'd mentioned it on that thread before.

It would give the impression of working the mic away from your face, adding a bit of virtual distance. I must give it a try.

• Information